Hypothyroid mother & child with autistism/aspergers

Posted , 3 users are following.

Researchers have recently identified a link between low thyroid hormone levels in pregnancy and the child's inability to do mental maths & reduced height. (See daily mail article by searching 'daily mail pregnancy mental maths'.I think it goes further than this, I think there's a link with low thyroid hormone levels in pregnancy and the child being on the autistic spectrum. My doses were all over the place when I was pregnant, and my levels were too - no account was taken of the time lag between dose increases and it correctly being reflected in blood levels.I have a child on the autistic spectrum (aspergers) and I'm wondering how many other people have and what you think.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Really interesting thought. They say that in the UK we fail to identify thyroid deficiency die to differences in testing procedures and definitions. I think you've hit on a really important 20th century phenomenon. Probably linked to diet, pesticides or hormones in the food chain. How this thread gets picked up by researchers.
    • Posted

Typos amended here:Really interesting thought. They say that in the UK we fail to identify thyroid deficiency due to differences in testing procedures and definitions. I think you've hit on a really important 20th century phenomenon. Probably linked to diet, pesticides or hormones in the food chain. Hope this thread gets picked up by researchers.
    • Posted

Lucy, thank you for your reply. you raise an interesting question: whether hypothyroidism is caused by modern living, or is it just being picked up better, or both. I would add: and is it exacerbated by deficiencies in our monitoring and treatment methods - blood tests not accurately reflecting tissue levels of thyroid hormone, time lag before blood test gives an approximation to thyroid levels, and treatment that only replaces one (T4) of the 5 hormones the thyroid produces (T1, T2, T3, T4, calcitonin).
    • Posted

This is close to my heart. I have a family member who has achieved effective control through T3 treatment in Belgium - but obviously at a cost. ..
    • Posted

My UK GP says 'watch this space'. In his experience CCGs or their equivalent change every 5-6 ye.ars. So just wait until it changes again! I have the best reasons for them funding NDT (intolerance to all synthetic meds) and they still won't do it!.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.