RFA experience for neuropathy pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I saw Radio Frequenct Ablation mentioned here for neuropathy pain.  I get it done evey year for my lumbar.  I never knew it could be effective for the neuropathy.  The reason being is that my spine doc (RFA doc ) is the one who gave me the dx. in the first place.  I'm surprised he didn't suggest it for my leg pain.  I was wonderinng if that particular pain has to be really severe before the procedure can be used (Medicare approved) for that type of pain.  I would also like to hear some stories from those of you that have taken this route.  I think I only read here where one person had mentioned this.  Thank you.

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

i was told a couple years ago that the procedure was not appropiate for preferial neurophy.

• Posted

Hi Patricia,

I have peripheral neuropathy in my right foot with a lot of pain - the doctor said he would try a sympathetic nerve block. He did, and it helped with the pain in my foot, not the numbness and tingling.  So then he did the RFA - I would say the pain has improved some, not as much as the sympathetic nerve block, but it has improved. I only had the RFA 3 weeks ago and they say it takes up to 6-8 weeks for it to be fully effective.  I'm on Medicaid. So if Medicaid approved it, I sho uld think that Medicare would.

• Posted

Thank you so much.  I go to see a neurologist in a few weeks and I will inquire about both procedures.  Are you effected by the barometric pressure?  It's a major triggor for me.
    • Posted

Absolutely! I live in Chandler, AZ and in the summer around July and August we have monsoon season - the air gets heavy like its going to rain.  It's crippling to me.  We're moving to Boise, ID this fall, and I'm a little worried because I know there are more climate changes there. Good luck with the neurologist.  He/she should know about these procedures.  Next, I'm going to see what they can do to help my back. I've had a failed fusion twice, and another disc shot! So my back hurts too.  Good luck with your  neuropathy.

• Posted

Also, are you on Gabapentin for the neuropathy? I really think it helps but you have to be on a high dose.  I'm waiting for my insurance to approve adding lyrica because I heard that if you combine the two that it really helps with neuropathy. Another thing to try is amitriptyline, but I'm not sure if all 3 can be combined. They all can make you sleepy.  I'm not on amitriptyline, but I might try it.
    • Posted

And for the pain on the top of my foot, I have a lidoderm patch.  I also have nerve pain and meralgia parasthestica in my left thigh- it aches deeply and my skin feels like a deep sunburn.  I was using lidoderm patches on my leg and recently found out that using lidocaine creme seems to be helping more.

• Posted

Hello Patricia, when I was first diagnosed with neuropathy my GP wanted to try it before meds or any other treatments. I unfortunately had no good results, that and my insurance decided they no longer wanted to pay for it. Never did hear why. In Tulsa,Ok they have opened a clinic just for that. So far I read different results from people. Best of luck,pray that it may work for you. Also hope Medicare will cover it. Fellow neuropathy person hoping and praying for you.
    • Posted

Forgot to say I have it in both feet.
    • Posted

I know - everybody seems to have differents results.  Do you just have the neuropathy or do you have back pain as well?
    • Posted

Lower back I see to a chiropractor for a year got some relief, Utah in the end I had to go there times a week got quite expensive
    • Posted

Yeah, you probably need a CT scan or an MRI to see what's going on with your back.  Don't you have insurance?
    • Posted

oh, I bet they didn't cover your chiropractor
  • Posted

Hi Patricia,

I'm the one who recently had the two RFA's to try to help with peripheral neuropathy.  It seems to be making thing sworse.  My feet and calves cramp more, and I have been getting this horrible "wooden" feeling in my calves.  It's like my legs are being turned into wood while I'm alive.  I don't know what to do.  I'll see my doctor again on Wednesday, but I can tell you that I don't think these RFA's have helped me, and I just pray they haven't made things worse for me permanently.

Linda

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.