Help for 4 month antibiotic resistant UTI

Posted , 9 users are following.

After several doctor appts, tests, 2 cystoscopy's, urologists, urogynecologist, urology physican ass't and most recently a nurse practioner that specializes in Institial Cystits...I have self diagnosed myself that I apparently have an antibiotic resistant UTI. I am a 60 year 'young' female and never had a UTI before in my life!  Or if I did, it went away after a day of frequency.  One day in November I woke up with frequency, which progressed to another symptom of horrible 'urge' to urinate that lasted up until a few weeks ago. (no urgency, just icky urge feeling all day - except I could sleep at night thankfully!).  Some urethra burning over the months but never when I urinated.  Was diagnosed with  - vaginal atrophy (which is correct), urethritis, overactive bladder- but no meds ever worked. Interstitial cystisis was ruled out becuase of no pain and no urgency - rushing to bathroom - and test results. Had a few doses of antibiotic when UTI tested (only 4 times tested in Docs office - 3 times positive 1 time negative) ...felt like things were better then burning, frequency would come back. I just got off of 15 days of antibiotics (macrobid) last week and today I did a home test and it showed positive for a UTI.  So it never has ever really gone fully away.  Today frequency is better, no burning, but I still have an irritation in urethra that just feels like an infection - and is. I ordered D Mannose powder and am going to try that every hour for a couple days. Suppose I should try cranberry sugar free juice, but I read that it really doesn't help everyone.   Has anyone else found something that worked to finally get rid of a UtI?  So frustrated...just want to feel normal again 'down there' again...thanks for any advice or suggestions!

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Joanna

Our situations are similar -  age and antibiotic resistant infection - mine was enterococcus strain.  Eventually Nitrofurantoin shifted it but the side effects were really terrible.  Have you tried this it too?  GP prescribed oestrogen vaginal pessaries as oestrogen protects the urethra against the UTI bugs.  Unfortunately the oestrogen gave me headaches and I stopped them after a month.  I'm now trying to put my body into a stronger, infection resistant mode and take pro biotics to repair the damage to my immune system. ABiotics destroy the stomach's flora a fauna which lowers resistance to bacteria and infections.  Am also drinking more water than I ever did. I also have d-Mannose ready to take at the first sign of another UTI.

I mentioned the d-Mannose to the urologist at the cystoscopy and he nodded in agreement so he clearly was aware of its usefulness.  I hope you get rid of the infection.  Let us know if the d-Mannose works for you.  What doseage are you taking?  Good luck!

• Posted

Joanna i dont have any knowledge on the subject, but i had pelvic problems which a v young dr diagnosed as prostatitis. He gave me antibiotics which ruined my health for 4 years and I am still suffering. I have now discovered (without the doctor) that it was muscles in the pelvis which I found in a book, Heal Pelvic Pain.  I did the exercises and now have no problems in the pelvic area. Unfortunatley my eyes, hearing, joints, and other problems are still poor due to the antibiotics.     Please note that the book deals  mainly with womens problems

• Posted

Hi John,  Oh that is scary to know how powerful antibotics can be!  They are supposed to help us, but obviously they can also cause more health problems.   I'm glad you found something that worked for you!  I wish there was a book about curing ALL female and male urethra problems!  Lots of info on the internet, but I don't have any of the things that are mentioned it could be - other then this resistant antibiotic infection - I can only by exclusion, assume this is the problem.  

I prefer to try the natural route in healing whenever possible, which is why I am going to try these mega doses of D Mannose powder and see if that does anything!

Stay healthy and enjoy life!

• Posted

Hi again

I think d-mannose is good for e-coli infections but not sure if it will be effective for the enterococcus strain of UTIs.  I will try to find out.

• Posted

Hi Sue, my bacteria that showed up a few weeks ago in a culture was Ecoli - which my understanding is that is the bacteria most common in UTI's for women.   One culture back in November when all this started, came up negative.  I have never had the nitrates be positive, always the leukocytes - which is weird.  It's just for 4.5 months, it's always been just about my urethra - frequency, horrible 'urge' no urgency, urethra buring off and on - and it just has and still does feel infected - but nothing can be seen by looking at it.  During my 2 cystoscopies it was horrific horrible pain when the tube was inserted through my urethra.  Afterwards I was burning SO bad, they had to run and find ice for me.  They looked at me as if that has never happened before, so obviously they did the cystoscopy when I had an infected urethra! 

The dose I've learned to use for the D Mannose when I get the powder is like 2 tsp with water every hour the 1st day - get up twice during the night and then the same for 2nd day and then start cutting the doseage in half - and 'supposively' this will take care of it.  Don't have a ton of faith, but I'm willing to try anything!  I have had 2 rounds of nitrofurtain past 4 months - one round back in November when this started was just 5 days worth...next time was just a few weeks ago when I started 15 days (NP prescribed just 5 days ago, but I called and said symptoms were still all there, so she prescribed 10 days with 2x a day).  Yesterday my leukocytes tested positive in home strip test (nitrate always negative) and today I took test again and both were negartive, but of course my urethra still feels infected, so probably a culture would again come back positive.  Guess I'll find out at my appt next week after it's sent out for culuture again.

I just got a few free samples from Desert Harvest of their gele, so I am going to see if that does anytihng.  Probably not, but I've tried SO manys things for the urethral irritation/discomfrot and absolutely nothing has worked.  One helluva infection that's for sure!  Thanks for replying!

Thanks again for your reply!

• Posted

Hi, you are one of the lucky ones if I can say that as if you have a positive confirmation that it is an ecoli uti you Will get better with dmannose. Make sure you follow the emergency dosage, heaped teaspoon every 2/3 hours - I did this for the first day and set an alarm at night. I had 4 different UTIs over 8 months and it was so awful. I never thought I would get better. I now take dmannose in the morning and night and probably will continue to forever now.
  • Posted

I feel for you, like you I have burning in the urethra but no burning when passing urine. I've had this for a year and it is tortuous. I am now so lucky to be seeing the Professor he uses fresh urine tests which are far more accurate,under his treatment I am getting better. There is hope!
    • Posted

Hi! I am so happy that you are finally getting relief after a year of that ugh.

Would you mind sharing your treatment plan?

Good luck to you! 😎

• Posted

I also have the burning in the Ureathra after peeing. Mine has been on and off for the last year. It started April 2015 with my very first UTI. I've had about 4 since then, but even when I don't have an infection I feel the burning. It started in April and after having a Cystoscopy it finally went away and it came back Just before Easter this year after having an antibiotic resistant form of Ecoli called ESBL. The burning started a few weeks after that UTI and have pretty much been here since. No urge or pain or getting up during the night it's just pretty much this awful burning after peeing. If you have any advice or know what might be going on please let me know. Thank you!
  • Posted

hi Jo

your symptoms sound so like mine..i am waiting for results of urine tests which i will get tomorrow. I have had pain in my stomach for two years on and off and was diagnosed with IBS.. I also have ostearthritus and I feel uncomfortable all the time. I have been on antibiotics for two weeks and still lots of white blood cells and blood in my urine when tested with a dipstick, I think that my tummy problems stem from re-ocurring uti infections however i have no buring at all when going to the toilet i just feel extremely uncomfortable in my tummy and the pain and pressure in my lower back is driving me mad. I am beginning to get extremely depressed. Its a living nightmare...lets hope we can find some answers soon...I am 52 and in the menopause

• Posted

Have you had a procedure where they scope to find a possible underlying problem?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.