Quetiapine

Posted , 3 users are following.

My daughter has a mental crisis team visiting her 2-3 times a week which is helping her dealing with stress issues. Yesterday she was put on Quetiapine 50g - 3 to be taken at night  to help her sleep.

This is the the only medication she takes for bipolar apart from her Tramadol for carpal tunnal syndrome.

My question is ... being put on 150g straight away seems to be a bit high, or is this quiet normal?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi

I have just recently been put on Quetiapine in the first week I was put on 100mg a day and was told this was quite a low dose as I have a history of heart problems with this type of medication so it will be steadily increased.

I would say your daughters dose is quite a normal one, 150mg may seem a lot but it depends on the medication and how much is needed to get into your system. I also take 1000mg of lithium a day also which sounds a lot but is a normal dose to treat bipolar. I have read that the dosage depends on what the Quetiapine is being used to treat, up to 300mg is the usual dose for things such a anxiety and bipolar depression but other people take much higher doses for different things.

I wouldn't worry about the dose your daughter is on it's well within the normal limits I'm sure your doctor has their reasons for starting her at that level, just keep an eye out for side effects. I hope it helps her

• Posted

t

Thank you for your quick replysmile

My daughter is going through a lot right now in her personal life  and tends go out walking when she cannot sleep. This is only her second night of taking Quetiapine and so far has kept her in bed safe and sound. smile

• Posted

Quetiapine does act as a good sedative. I went through a 6 week period of getting no more than 2 hours sleep a night due to personal issues and general bad mental health at the time. Quetiapine really helped I didnt feel drugged at all, its a very good medine and hopefully will get your daughter back on track.
  • Posted

I am glad your daughter is in bed safe & sound after taking quetiapine, I find it helps with getting some sleep. I hope your daughter feels better soon!

FYI: My psychiatrist has once mentioned that it works quicker if a patient on quetiapine has a meal which has meat for dinner; not tried for memory.

• Posted

Continued....

I'm on 300mg of Quetiapine (200mg at night & 100mg in the morning) as I have been getting auditory & visual hallucinations since the end of December 2012 which has been & is very unsettling.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.