Postherpetic Neuralgia

Posted , 7 users are following.

Having suffered PHN for 13 months, I would like to share with fellow sufferers who may need some help in their treatment of this terrible complaint. After coping with the initial Shingles problems, I discovered a very effective treatment for PHN pain, with minimal need for supplementary analgesics. 

The formula is 250 grams of Invite Vitamin E Cream, two 5 gram tubes of Aciclovir Cream, 65 grams of Dencorub Heat Gel. 

Mix thoroughly, apply sparingly to the affected areas, as required for pain relief. This treatment works immediately, and normally gives relief for 2 to 12 hours, depending on application frequency.

It reduces the need for long term analgesics, which can have harmful affects on other parts of the body.

It is worth a try if you have chronic Herpetic Neuralgia, and your present treatment is unsatisfactory. Also, one Evening Primrose Capsule per day is useful for pain relief. Best of luck in your search for an effective treatment.

Ray

4 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Raymond,  I do think that your  treatment may work for your self but it depends where your PHN is on the body, I have a friend who has it around her eye, face and neck, when you mention a gel dencorub heat gel  this could be painful for a person who is desperate to find pain relief.  My self I have it under my breast and along my side to the back and up to the shoulder. Im not sure what country you are from  but I asked  some one from the health shop in the UK and she said to use a gel that has heat  it could be very unwise to use it in such sensertive areas.
  • Posted

Jocelyne. I believe if you have a real need for pain relief, then any proven treatment should be of interest. In my case my Shingles was in the middle of the body, from the backbone to the centre of the chest, under the Brest.

This treatment has reduced my pain dramatically, and I have not had a need    for supplementary analgesics for many months. Dencorub Heat Gel does not cause discomfort to the body region, but it should be avoided close to the eyes. I meant to say the treatment is not expensive, as the mixture normally lasts 2 to 4 months, depending on the frequency of applications.Sometimes it is better to accept a proven treatment than rely on expert opinion.

Ray

• Posted

HI Ray,

Are these over the counter products? I remember using the Acyclovir but I needed a prescription(for the pills). Do you also need a prescription from the Doctor for the acyclovir cream?

Thanks!

• Posted

Yes Anna, these ingredients are available without prescription in Australia. 

I purchase at a discount chemist. Costs: Invite Vitamin E Cream $15, Aciclovir Cream $7 per tube, Dencorub Heat Gel $5 per 100 gram tube.

I welcome your interest in this treatment. Best of luck in obtaining the ingredients. 

Ray

• Posted

Hi Ray,

Are you in Australia? as I am and am very interested in your suggestion.

I intend to either visit my chemist/health store to source your formula ingredients.

I am now at the point of TRYING ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING

Catherine

• Posted

Catherine. Yes I am in Australia. The ingredients I use are readily available from discount chemist stores. The 5 gram Aciclovir tube is found as a treatment for Cold Sores, which treats a related virus to Shingles.

This treatment works very well, and is not expensive if used sparingly. I keep a spare tube of Aciclover cream for any strange eruptions, and find it very successful in avoiding any future Shingles Outbreaks.

I am sure you will get great relief from this treatment.

Best of luck, Ray.

• Posted

Ray,

Yes I did follow up on your remedy.

In fact my chemist made it up for me. But honesty I'm not sure that it has the same effect on me as it does for you., I feel it is helping a little and will  continue to use it 

All the best

• Posted

Thanks Catherine. 

I am sure you will get great benefit from this treatment in the long term.

I have now been using it for 12 months, and have reduced treatment to twice a day for the last 6 months.

I have found that a separate tube of Aciclover cream is essential in preventing any future outbreaks of shingles. If treated immediately these outbreaks do not continue to develop and they disappear over a two week period.

Kind regards Ray

• Posted

Many thanks for the positive feedback Ray.

Yes, I will continue to use it and have the Aciclover on my chemist list for this afternoon!

All the best for now.

Catherine

ps How often did you use it when first you tried it?

• Posted

Catherine.

I started with this treatment soon after the shingles rash healed.

Initially I was taking ibuprofen tablets every 4 to 5 hours, as required for pain relief. At the same time I was using the mixture every 2 to 4 hours, as required for pain relief. Night treatment was more frequent in order to reduce  pain and get back to sleep. 

After a few months I did not need analgesics, and only used the treatment  for

Slowly I extended the analgesics and the treatment as the need for pain relief became less. After a few months I did not need analgesics, and only needed to apply the treatment four times each day. After about six months I found it was only necessary to apply the treatment two times each day to eliminate most of the pain.

It is a long process, but definately worth the effort. 

• Posted

Your comments are always so positive Raymond and I suppose I am looking for a quick fix !!!!!!!!!!!! IMPOSSIBLE with PHN.

But I will continue with your remedy.

I have very little pain, it's just the incredible,  continuous itch that causes me such distress plus the sensitivity, soreness and tightness around the left side of forehead and eyebrow.

• Posted

Thanks Catherine.

I am sure you will get a steady improvement 

from this treatment as the Aciclovir cream seems to have a continued antiviral affect. I find this treatment drastically reduces my need for analgesics.

Kind regards

Ray

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.