Mirtazapine to Trazadone

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have recently tapered off Mirtazapine to 7.5. Psych has prescribed Trazodone 50 with a view to dropping Mirtazapine in 2 weeks and possibly upping dose so Trazadole.

i seem to be ok apart from waking after 3-4 hrs sleep. I eventually go back off after anything from 30 mins to 2 hrs. This is when I sleep like a baby for 3-4 hrs.

Will this waking stop if dose is increased. Does anybody have any views please?

1 like, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lorraine!

I dont think anybody responds to anyones questions here.I was on Mirtazapine 30mgs for a year but gained 20 pounds so want to stop. My doctor prescribed me Trazodone and I took 50 mgs for the first time last night. I took 25mgs at 930 but by 1130 pm which is usually the time I fall asleep was still not getting drowsy so took I took another pill. After 50mgs, I still woke up early. I asked my doctor now if I should increase the dose as well. I am in the same boat as you and find that there arent too many forums where people have switched from mirtazapine, which is really unsettling.

• Posted

I gave up on the Trazadone Laura I hated them. My GP put me back on Mirt  as I just got more and more unwell and kept waking all night with bad feelings. I do hope you don't get the same symptoms.  I am tapering again and am now down to 7.5, which is where I got to before without any problems. For me is seems to be the last 7.5 that is hard to get off of. I intend staying on this now for at least a couple of months. The problem is though, the effect it has on our insulin (which causes the hunger cravings) is still the same until the drop goes below 4mg.....so a slow process. I agree with you the Trazadone site doesn't get much response compare to the Mirt one which is very active. I hope you are ok on the Trazadone, do let me know. 

Lorraine

• Posted

Hi, looking for your experience of changing mirtaz to traz.  Psych thinking of doing that, i am scared
  • Posted

Hi, i am same, mirtaz to trazodone.  Mirtaz does give me some sleep with 5mg diazepam. Main reason is not being able to increase mirtaz doze due to increasing anxiety.  Anxiety is main problem. Do you think change would help?  I have to take diazepam for anxiety just now when i wake.  Dont want to be like a zombie all day.
  • Posted

Hi Lorraine, I'm coming of the Mirtazapine just started last night from 45mg to 30 mg for 2 weeks then 15 for 2 weeks then on to Trazodone. This is my fourth change. I originally started on Prozac " 5 years " but for some reason a doctor took me of them and put me on Efexor ( what a mistake that was ) horrible drug and the side effects were worse than the depression shocks down my arms and legs if I missed it at all ). The Prozac just made me feel totally number to everything ( maybe that was a godsend)

I have been on the Mirtazapine for about 4 months and I was on the max dose 45mg at nigh, however I found myself crying for no reason at anything that happened big or small, I didn't want to go thru that every day. I think I just needed that bit extra and they would of worked but 45mg is the max so now I have been prescribed Trazodone ( so now I have to start the horrible experience all over again ( the thought alone is enough to make me depressed )

However I'm trying to stay positive and think that this time the tablets will work.

I think you need to give the tablets a chance so 3-4 months is probably a good time scale. I was in a site last night and the feeling I got from it was that Trazodone will give you either a great sleep thru time perhaps with a few side effects drowsy in the morning but that goes away the longer you take them or they will not work as the side effects are to much. I read quite a lot of them and the same thing was said a few time, stick with it and the side effects wear of and they really help with sleep and anxiety and depression.

Anyway I'm going to give them a go and see if they might help me. I wish you luck.

Axx

• Posted

Another month on and i am still on 7.5 mirtaz.  It isnt giving me as good a sleeo anymore but i did try to change to trazodone and failed, sertraline, failed too.  So many side effects. I wish someone could just replace this mirtaz with something that woukd help.  It doesnt seem to even be helping my depression at all and i crave a full nights sleep.   Had discusiion with paych and i asked about trintillex which is a new drug,  he says might be worth a try, some people get on really well with it. I am scared to try as i get suchnbad side effects.   Wish yiu all well with changes and hope they are smooth,
    • Posted

Hi Ann,

I'm sorry to hear about that, it's so difficult to find the right one. I totally understand what your going thru. The side effects are horrible with some of the tablets out there.

I hope the trintillex work for you, I'm just going to keep at it and hopefully something will click with me. Fingers crossed.

Best if luck with the new tablets.

Axx

• Posted

Thanks. Will be happy to hear how Trazodone do with you, keep posting.
    • Posted

Yeah I will do that's 2 days on 30mg, I can feel it soooooo slightly starting to effect me. Big lump in the throat and starting to feel low. It's so small a change that you could miss it but I've been on and of that many times I can. I'll get thru it but bloody hell it's hard, especially when that big black cloud starts to get a grip of you.

You'll know what I'm talking about, you seem to have had a hard time with side effects. Keep the chin up and stay positive

I'll keep in touch and let you know how I get on.

Cheers

Axx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.