Chronic sinusitis causing anxiety & depression??

Posted , 32 users are following.

Hello everyone, I've noticed since I've been dealing with chronic sinusitis for a long time that I've been having really bad waves of depression as well as anxiety. I didn't have these issues before I also have trouble thinking and even have unwanted negative thoughts etc.

Anybody else experienced this as a result of chronic sinus infection??

I've also noticed since I've been sick with this I am extra sensitive to caffeine, sugar and stimulants. Thoughts???

Thanks

3 likes, 61 replies

61 Replies

Next
  • Posted

well after having 2 sinus surgeries within a year i have bouts of depression and mood swings and more so before i had my surgeries especially because of the fatigue and body aches i got which went on for 2 weeks straight before my first surgery and then after that it is maybe once every  month or so but never goes away because i still have the sinus problems which my ENT of 2 years said ."well there is nothing else i can do for you unfortunately" so now seeking second opinion.To sum up i havent been the same person since this drama started in early 2013 when i had a bad cold and it just continued from there with post nasal drip and shortness of breath coughing...

• Posted

Thank you for replying been feeling like I'm going crazy and suspected the sinusitis. I didn't have this before.
    • Posted

hi,,

i just want to ask if your feeling better now?

last january i started to feel like its hard to swallow food and shortness of breath,, last february i visit an ENT doctor and he said that i have a sinusitis,, after 2 weeks  medication of antibiotics and nasal spray the symptoms was there, so he change my antibiotic and let me continue use of sprays,, but still post nasal drip continues and sometimes i feel shortness of bresth and dry coughing,,

• Posted

all of these systems contribute to your mood . how can you be happy with all of these things happening in your head.

• Posted

Good to know! Like I have major anxiety and depression since having severe chronic sinusitis, ENT's don't acknowledge that but I think sinus infections cause these things!

The sinuses are so close to the brain. I have brain fog, anxiety, depression, broken thoughts, unwanted thoughts it's just terrible. I have surgery scheduled in a week!

• Posted

hopefully the surgery and a decent course of antibiotics should help. When i asked my ENT 2 years ago if body aches and fatigue where related to my chronic rhinosinusitis he said NO   what rubbish of course it is said my naturopath and many other people on forums on the interenet

• Posted

Be careful what you wish for when you say a decent course of antibiotics should help.  If you're given Ciprofloxacin or Levofloxacin (or any other -floxacin) refuse them.  They are quinolone antibiotics and work in a different way to other types.  They can cause a condition called Quinolone Toxicity Syndrome which is extremely painful and debilitating.  See other discussions on this by searching for the name.
    • Posted

Sorry but I didn't mentioned use of antibiotics you must have me confused with another person on the forum. Just for your information I was prescribed a course of ciprofloxican after my second sinus surgery but through the packet In the bin as I did my research on the side effects people especially in the US have had with even more fatigue tendinitis and depression symptoms from even one or two tablets . At least in the US they are have a black warning label not like here in Australia where they hand them out like lollies !!
    • Posted

Well said about the US black box warning - they're handed out like sweets here in the UK too!  I thought I was going a bit mad but in the post above mine you did say to DDR about antibiotics.  I confess I did misread it and thought you were saying it about yourself.  I apologise, and my excuse is it was getting late! 
    • Posted

No worries it's fine . Like a course of ciprofloxican will solve 3 years of chronic rhinosinustis ... The next ENT might actually consider putting antibiotics in the Neilmed sinus rinse and see how that help. It sure to do more to breakdown the biofilm than oral antibiotics do via the bloodstream
    • Posted

did the sugery fix the unwanted scary thoughts? I'm having sugery Friday and I wasn't depressed or anxious until I was diagnosed with chronic sinusitis and have had really bad periods of illness.

• Posted

Hi Jamie, I've been having nasal pressure/pulsation for over 2 years now and I've had mri/ct scans which showed I have an obstructed maxillary infundibulum and I'm on the waiting list for an operation. Just wondering though do you get scary thoughts because I do, they come from nowhere and it's usually the same thought but I can't remember in detail what it was. Really frustrating! My head feels a kind of claustrophobic when it happens.

• Posted

Yes I have bad anxiety now because of this new to me illness! I sometimes get chest pain from my lymph nodes and my mind goes right to a heart attack or something bad like that. I know exactly where you are coming from!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.