Ptsd or scizophrenia?

Posted , 3 users are following.

The first twenty years of my life had a variety of chronic torture & abuse. As a child my home life constantly shifted and alcohol, physical and mental violence was the order of the day. I felt wholly unworthy as a person to be alive. It drove me into drug addiction for eight years. Within the first year, the dealer and his friends cornered me into the back of his shop and raped me, protracting the incident over three days. My addiction exploded and it forced me into dealing with the rapist for a length of time after the incident occurred. I did not develop PTSD at the time, my drug addicting was becoming life threatening and I spent the next twelve years in and out of rehab until I finally one day carved out a functional routine for myself. Life became better; I worked in a shop, got creatively involved and got married (Although I was never able to fall pregnant). Years later we decided to immigrate to Australia. My husband collided with the culture from day one. Within a short period of time he became manic. We had just given everything up and returning back would be security suicide I felt, so I found work, moved us out. My husband tormented me for the next two years until it exploded one afternoon with police coming to arrest him. In the last days of my time in Australia I worked abnormally long hours to pay migration costs, as I wouldn't be able to, once returning to South Africa in an unemployed state.

Landing back in S.A I was hit with the chronic diabetic condition of my mother, who had not gone to one doctor about her condition. I dug in to get her health back to a manageable level for almost a year before I found employment and finally moved out. The nightmare began then. After a court order against my now ex-husband, I landed in a strange town, with new work, where no-one knew me.

Nightmares began to pour into my sleep about the rape that happened over twenty years ago. Functionality levels became dangerously low. I sought help, but without any real finances I was thrown into a system of waiting and small bits of attention here and there. Being alone also didn't help. I had already lost my first job, after flashes bled into my waking hours. A friend came from Australia; three years after my landing back here and saw my condition. These episodes have already taken on a form of torture that has made me terrified to talk about them. Somehow one of the men who raped me, detached themselves into a character that would invade my mind throughout the day and talk to me, telling me of new ways to torture me, that I will never be okay again, that I will always be stuck here. My friend is adamant about me leaving work and seeking help...I am terrified that I will be put away into an institution.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi leebee

bless you, my heart was deeply moved when reading your post.

I think it is very likely that you have PTSD given the horrors you have endured. I think you need to see your doctor asap. I do not think for one second that you would be put away. Please get yourself some help, so you can move on to a much brighter future.

God bless xx

• Posted

Hi leebee

like Lorraine, I was deeply moved when I read your story.  

It takes an awful lot of courage to do what you have done and ask for support.  There is help out there to support people with PTSD and through going to your GP will be the first step into telling thos b..stards to f..k off. 

You deserve this.

i am receiving support for complex PTSD. It's bloody hard but it can get easier and the images, nightmares, physical and mental anguish will, with time, get a little easier for you.

Please get the courage to go to your GP. It was not your fault.

thinking of you. 

Nic

• Posted

Thanks Nic, still terrified though, will thinks of these words when I step through the doctor's door
    • Posted

Hi leebee

wondered whether you have managed get the courage to see your GP?

Nic

• Posted

This Wednesday, i'm on my way....still terrified tho...
    • Posted

Proud of you for actually making the appointment. 

do you mind me asking how old you are? 

Good of luck for Wednesday. Will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Whole of 38 Years. Sorry to hear about your ptsd, it can not be easy, what do you say to people to calm them down?
    • Posted

And still so young with so much s..t.   We deserve so much more. I thought I had to endure the life sentence but we don't.  

I was abused as a kid for many years and then raped at 17.  A year Ago I had a fall and I have now lost the connection between my brain and my bladder.  I am 44 so this I seriously find difficult to get my head around.  I have had loads of tests and now have a permanent catheter.  Whilst all this was going on it seriously affected the PTSD.  Suicidal and everything you describe. Every time I had tests the worse the PTSD got

i have found an amazing psychologist, who herself suffered with PTSD and she gives me great hope.  That why I do believe, with time and the right help, you we will get through to the other side of this hell.  I do have spells where it's not as bad as others, so it can only get better!!M!!,

Stay strong and you will get through this

• Posted

Hi leebee

did you manage to speak to your GP yesterday?

nic

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.