Cholesteatoma surgery 2 days ago

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, I had my op on Monday and felt fine after and even yesterday but today my right side of my face is swollen, I can't chew food without pain and can barely open my mouth wide enough to eat. How long does this pain last? I didn't see my doctor after the op and won't know how it went or how big/small the cholesteatoma was until my clinic appointment in around 3 weeks! Before my op I was in severe pain for a few months, but that feels like nothing compared to how I'm feeling right now, my ear has continued to bleed and I feel very dizzy, not quite with it, is this normal? I know it is very early days for me but I almost need to have the no pain to look forward too. I'm having my stitches taken out Tuesday next week, does that hurt? Or do you feel relief?

Thankful for any info/experiences you can share.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Amylou.

I am sorry to hear about your prblem.

If the pain continues maybe you could call the hospital just to check. Please let me know how you get on.

Wishing  you all the best

• Posted

It sounds like you have developed some infection and may need antibiotic. Sometimes there is inflammation around the jaw joint or chewing muscles which could account for face swelling and pain on chewing. It is important for you to be seen by your doctor soon. If you are in UK I would suggest contacting the staff on the hospital ward where you were operated to arrange for someone to see you or failing that your family physician on an urgent basis. Let me know how it goes! 
  • Posted

Hi Amylou, I had my surgery on 30th January and also had the chewing/mouth opening problem. My surgeon did an ear canal reconstruction using muscle from the side of my head just above the jawline after removing the c'toma which was in my external canal. Quite alot of swelling and weird feelings going on there. It feels as if I can actually feel my hair growing! It took me about 2 weeks to be able to eat solid food i.e not porridge and even then only soft food, chewing on the opposite side to the surgery. I found I couldn't bite so had to push small pieces of food between my teeth as I couldn't open my mouth wide enough for cutlery. By week 4 I was eating more normally but again only on the opposite side and chewing slowly as I couldn't close my teeth together on the surgery side. I am able to eat pretty normally 6 weeks on but can still feel that I've had surgery. I was very wooly headed for the first week but that was probably the pain relief. I felt so much better once the dressings were removed, less disorientated. Luckily as my c'toma was in the ear canal my hearing is not affected. Now my c'toma is gone I can't believe how much pain I lived with for 2 and half years,  keep thinking somethings missing then I'm like "oh yeah, no ear ache!" its amazing I'm so happy. Still got a way to go until everything feels right (feeling your hair growing is not right) my scar feels very sore to touch so I don't. I had dissolving stiches so can comment on that sorry. If you really don't feel right call the place you had surgery or see your GP. Bleeding is normal but again call them if you are worried.

Good luck and remember this is a delicate and major surgery its not everyday you have your ear removed, someone rake around inside your head then put you back toghether again, be gentle with yourself and take all the time you need to recover.smile

• Posted

So glad you no longer have pain! 2.5 years is a long time to have suffered! I only started suffering 7 months ago and that was bad enough! I've lost a lot of my hearing so hoping it returns when everything settles abit! The consultant said it wasn't a painful recovery, who was he kidding!
  • Posted

Thank you for your replies, I've been to the doctor who just upped my pain relief to 2 tramadol 2 paracetamol and a ibrufeen. She said that the swelling, bleeding, chewing issues were all to be expected so guess I'll ride it out. Nice to know i will be pain free in the future though!
  • Posted

Hi

I had my surgery 3 years ago and I swelled up too and eating properly was a problem for some time and jaw problems.

I found that applying my headbandage tight again helped as I took it off too soon I think. Tramadol helped with the pain.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.