Alendronic Acid - possible positive side effect.

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have Lichen Planus and I also suffer from Osteoporosis. I have had Lichen Planus since the late 1970s.  I have been taking Alendronic Acid since October 2015.

For many years, the Lichen Planus, apart from its major effects of incredible itching, has caused lines and squiggles on my nails which when they reach near the end, result in flaking and splitting with snags and shearing off.  It seems that since I have been taking the AA my nails have become thicker and less susceptable to flaking and shearing. It may be coincidence but at the moment I'm just happy that it is so. It would be nice to actually have a positive side-effect with so many negative side-effects reported. This is probably not much use unless you have Lichen Planus but it would be interesting to know if anyone else has noticed nail changes which could be possibly attributed to AA.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I am sorry Aristotle that I cannot add to your discussion because I never began taking AA although I had actually picked up a packet from the chemist.

What is have gleaned that perhaps there could be an interaction with other conditions and drugs of which I have plenty even similar to your concern.

I hope someone can throw some light on your concern but it is a fairly rare one when combined with your lichen planus.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, It's nice to hear from you.  For once I'm not actually moaning about things but since I believe that AA actually triggered off the latest attack of LP, it's nice to find something, however minor, that AA actually does FOR me instead of AT me. It may be only a short term flash in the pan but it's still welcome.

How are you managing with very little medication and lots of problems?  If I hadn't had a family history of OP I probably wouldn't even have known that I had it developing until there was a fracture. I've never had any fractures that I'm aware of but the awareness of what's happening is much more acute than previously and I'm very wary of putting myself in a position that could be hazardous. This doesn't interfere with my life very much and I quite like finding things out about my body that I wasn't previously aware of.

All the best.

• Posted

I take heaps of drugs actually. Just none for osteoporosis funnily enough!

I just had a bad feeling about it so never began.

Luckily, my husband is strong which I hope continues for his sake and mine.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.