26 WITH HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE - FEELING DOWN :(

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hey, I have recently been diagnosed with high blood pressure at the age of 26. I've been put on medication to regulate and bring it down. I am so upset at the fact this has happened - feeling so alone and depressed.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

I was about the same age. Drinking too much alcohol is what pushed mine up (I'm not suggesting that of you), it is generally stress (I don't mean everyday stress, I mean something like having a boss who is on your case everyday and gives you a hard time), weight, alcohol or a combination or hereditary.

Obviously if you want to get off them, cutting down or out the things I mentioned and then having checks with your GP. Whatever you do, don't stop taking them, there can be serious consequences if you do, to which I found out at my cost.

• Posted

I'm 55kg and dont drink at all really. Stress is probably my downfall n I'm trying to work on it.
  • Posted

I am a bit older but i feel your pain, alcohol also pushed mine up but stress played a big part too, i have added lemons, beet juice and bananas to my diet, all have potassium in and help, i also read that hibiscus tea helps, good luck.

• Posted

What age did you get high blood pressure?

Um without meds it various 140-145 /90 - 99

Now its in the 119-130 / 80-89 so meds are helping.

• Posted

Really don't like the idea of your GP putting you straight on medication without looking at all the possible causes of your HBP first.

My GP tried to go down that road and I rejected it.

I would suggest that you find and deal with whatever is going in your life that giving you stress. No amount of meds is going to help you until you deal with that.

You're not alone in have this problem. I'm going through a divorce and everytime I have to talk to my soon-to-be-ex, I get HBP readings. So I'll be glad when that's all over with. 

Also look at your diet, some foods raise your BP.  

• Posted

Ive been checked for secondary causes but everything came back fine. So they say it has to be genetics. Which p*sses me off there has to be a reason. Im along with my meds going to try natural remedies to assist. Ive also decided to get off the pill i had been on it for over 10 years so hopefully that will help as i heard that can cause high blood pressure. I really do not want to be dealing with this at this age its so fustrating.
    • Posted

Genetics play a part, but it's not the be-all.

Losing weight and execirse has a signifcant effect on HBP. 

Because you have been on meds for so long, I would suggest that you gradually wean yourself off, reducing the meds over a period of time but don't just stop taking them. I recently learned that daily Beetroot juice is highly beneficial for lowering BP. Stay away from simple carbohydrates like white bread, rice etc. Stop taking sugar and stay away from high sugar foods. Increase your potassium in-take by adding around 4 bananas a day. Drink grated ginger tea before going to bed. Drink 2Ltrs of water during the day.

I managed to get a BP this morning reading today of 127/91. 

The natural remedies will take time to have an effect. Importantly you will need to make a detailed record of what you eat and your BP readings so that you can see the effects food have you. I suggest you start a spreadsheet showing date, times, food eaten and BP readings during the day.

• Posted

my previous BP readings were 211/104.. 
    • Posted

As in birth control for 10 years. Ive only been on hbp tablets for a month. But im determined to beat this - has to be something besides genetics. Looking at natural remedies to assist if anyone has had any wins let me know smile

• Posted

Hi. I've been to the doctors today about my blood pressure. I'm only 26 and it's pretty high for my age. The nurse has put me on the mini pill (CERELLE) instead of the one i was on before to see if it was that but gone back today and it's still high. She's referred me to see a doctor to see what they say might have to have an ECG but I'm stressing more now because of this sad help!!!

• Posted

hypertension from terrible genetics is real. My boyfriend was 26 when he got on meds. He's a runner, sober, loves his job but does have a short temper. You're young and it's hard to understand that this isn't something you can control. Do not get off your meds. Do not follow this other mans advice. Use all the natural stuff you want but the only thing that will work is following your doctors advice. I'm no doctor but I see what happens with uncontrolled BP-strokes, failing kidneys-tethered to a dialysis machine for the rest of your life. Heart disease... Not to mention, you're going to have erectile dysfunction if you don't control that BP! You aren't alone. Hang in there and take those pills as directed!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.