acute high blood pressure, dizzy, head pressure and blocked ears daily

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi,

My name is Corbin, and for the last two years have been extremely unwell with a seemingly undiagnosible illness.

I am a fit, healthy 28 year old guy who has spontaneously developed servere high blood pressure, temporal pressure headaches, dizzy spells and blocked ears. The symptoms vary, with acute periods lasting a couple hours and occurring on a weekly basis. Generally an acute period is characterized by severe headaches, needing to lie down, blocked ears and extreme lethargy.

I have had CT’s and MRI’s of the brain and cervical spine, PET scans, ECHO’s, a multitude of blood tests and various other tests with no abnormalities.

I gym 4 times a week, eat healthy and work as a hairdresser, so my lifestyle is pretty healthy overall.

This condition is starting to limit my lifestyle and with two years of no answers I am putting it out there for someone to recognize or provide advice about what could potentially be going on!

Any feedback, even small, would be very much appreciated!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

A raised Aldosterone level can cause High Blood Pressure. I have just been diagnosed with Hyperaldosteronism.  I discovered I had High Blood pressure 1-2 years ago.  My blood pressure settles on rest and the pounding headache that goes with it. The blood pressure and headache always get worse with activity, as does the fatigue I experience. You will need to have a renin/aldosterone ratio blood test done to test for it.  Hope you get some answers.
    • Posted

Do you have addisons claire , how is Aldosterone  checked is there a blood test ?
    • Posted

I have too much aldosterone being produced by the adrenal glands. It is the opposite of addisons.  There are a few tests which need to be done before a diagnosis of Hyperaldosterone is given (the name for too much aldosterone being produced) First they do the renin/aldosterone ratio. If the aldosterone is elevated they next do a Saline suppression test. If the aldosterone is still high with this test you have Hyperaldosteronism. After this they do a CT scan to see if there is an adenoma on the adrenal glands or if there is hyperplasia.  I was diagnosed with M.E many years ago, so I'm not sure how much fatigue is from that and how much is from the raised aldosterone. Plus I also have Sinus tachycardia, at rest my pulse is 100 on mild activity it can increase to 150. The Endocrinologist doesn't think this is caused by the raised aldosterone.  But at least now I have the diagnosis of Hyperaldosteronism I can start taking Blood pressure medicine and see how I go from there. Have to wait until next week to see my GP for a prescription.  

Do you have Addisons?

• Posted

no i was thinking my 22 year old , as hes tired alot his b12 is low his cortosl at 9am was 299 but gp says its noraml
    • Posted

they did a intrinsic factor  test today , am not sure if that will show if he is not absorbing b12 
    • Posted

Hi Claire. I was also diagnosed with ME 25 years ago. Last year I got low k having had high bp for years. Now got Conns. Multiple adenomas on one side. Struggling with awful fatigue still. On eplerenone 25 as can't tolerate 50mg or spiro. Seeing endocrine surgeon at Kings college on Monday after asking for another referral. Hoping to get the pet scan next as avs was inconclusive as couldn't get into right hand side. Am wondering if this has been the ME all along. What do you think. ?

• Posted

Hi Missworld,

Did your M.E symptoms improve with the BP meds?  Mine improved a lot and I no longer need to use the wheelchair outside. I also have greater stamina and haven't needed to rest during the day. (Although now, 2 weeks into the school summer holidays, I do have an increase of fatigue again) I do believe that some of the M.E symptoms are from the Conns. How sensitive to sound are you? Also, did you have an improvement with this on BP meds? Mine improved a little, but not as much as the other symptoms. Interestingly, I've had my hearing tested and found it is on the lower border-line of normal. (I'm 43) 50mg Spiro was also difficult for me to tolerate, so back on 25, but BP is going up again and wandering if that is why fatigue is returning?

I hope your appointment on Monday is positive and they are able to suggest something. Was your Conns diagnosed with the low k? Let me know your appointment goes. 

• Posted

Hi Claire. Sorry only just got your message. At my appointment at Kings I was referred to Cambridge for a pet metomidate scan which is alternative to AVS. Still waiting for date. In the meantime having dropped eplerenone to 25mg. (im also on 3 other bp drugs by the way too. ). My k has dropped to 3 so am feeling crappier and am back on Sando k. Hoping I can be a candidate for surgery I think ! Yes I was diagnosed with low k last year. Have had high bp for years and ME for 25 years. I felt a bit better when first on eplerenone 25 but not now. How are you ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.