Reactive arthiritis

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey all,

Just a bit of background information. When I was 23, I'm now 26 I was diagnosed with a severe case of campylobacter due to living in the country and the tank hadn't been cleaned or filter for over 20 years! I was so bad I was hospitalised for 6 days! I live in New Zealand so we aren't as advanced medicine wise as the United States and other western countries. I was diagnosed with ReA just under 2 years ago which I managed with paracode and naproxen. However I now have stomach ulcers so can not take NSAIDs. Finally have an appt early next month with the rheumatoidologist and changed GP who have put my on low dose codeine and I have a few tramadol (which I savour because only thing that works). Due to this I was unable to complete the last two theory papers of my nursing degree I use to be a professional dancer and unable to play guitar due to my wrist problems. I also have a 6 year old son that I use to do a lot with and now I'm just grumpy and depressed sad it's ruined my life and all my hobbies have been taken away from me. I don't know what to do the only time I can manage things is when I have a couple of tramadol and it's not the life I want to have to be reliant on pain medication sad please help need a light I can't handle much more of this!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jazz58088,

I hope that your rheumatologist can help with a different med. I got this 2 years ago but not diagnosed for about 6 months. Once I got diagnosed, I started taking action with my diet. I took a blood test to figure out my food sensitivities and I went hard core on not eating anything I was sensitive to. It was not easy because I had a lot of sensitivities. I also started on meditation tapes. This was because I noticed my symptoms flared when I was very stressed. I got better for a long time and every once in a while I would have a mini flare that was mild and quick so I never even took anything.

Then last month a very close family member was diagnosed and died from a terminal illness. I was shaken and have had a huge flare-up. Walking hurts and my spine. I am seeing my rheumatologist to talk about Humira. It is a biologic drug.

I understand what you mean about the pain. It is very hard to deal with when it is bad and hard to stay consistent and up for your kids. I hope that you find a good med with your doctor soon. I know for me it is a combination of meds, diet and working on relieving stress. I have seen the direct correlation between stress and my symptoms getting much worse.

Sorry for your suffering. None of us should have to live with this.

Kate

• Posted

Get yourself on Humira. ReA does not go away as they claim it does. This disease sucks and it will continue to more into other spondyloarthropathy. 

How is your eye? Any UTI symptoms?

I hope you do not get seronegative spondyloarthropathy. I'll pray for you.

• Posted

I am going on Humira. My doctor has been ready to go for a while. My symptoms were very under control for a long time - about a year and even non-existent for months and months. This latest flare has scared me. It is too much to try to manage and I don't know what it is doing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.