Alendronic Acid and Lower Chest Pain

Posted , 2 users are following.

I am a 70 year old male with Osteoporosis and possible narrowing of one of the cardiac arteries. I began taking Alendronic Acid around five months ago when a dexascan showed that my T-score had reached the crossover from low bone mass into OP.  Up until last week I had only had minor, annoying side effects. I take my weekly pill on Wednesday and on Thursday, early morning, I had a sharp stabbing pain in my central chest area about an inch above the lower end of the sternum. My first thought was that this might be angina and then it occurred to me that the lower end of my oesophagus is close to that area and the AA might be causing a problem.  The pain went away after a few minutes when I changed my lounging position and I thought very little more of this apart from noting the problem in my diary. This week (yesterday) after taking the AA pill I was more aware of what may transpire and sure enough, last night at about 7 pm, the same stabbing pain in the same area occurred and the same movement got rid of it.  This doesn't really sound like angina and I am seriously wondering if it is the acid causing problems. I have a visit scheduled to the doctors surgery for a session with the heart check-up clinician and will mention this to her but I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems after taking AA. Of course, it may just be coincidence but I'm not a great believer in that.  Would be happy to hear of other patients experiences in the subject.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Aristotle, type in your keywords across the bar at the top of your screen and quite a few websites and posts from other people will come up for you to read. 

I have no personal experience of this but you will find others who can relate or share with you.

• Posted

Hi Kathleen, thanks for the reply. Been off a couple of days - PC connection problems.  I'm guessing that you mean the URL bar where you usually type your www.etc. Any way will try and see what happens since it's the only bar I have across the top of my screen.
    • Posted

Good try - Lots of links and information, most of it not good, going on about various cancers and their increased risks with AA. Will have to spend some time assessing what is written and need to try and weed out the articles from people on their hobby-horse. Several of the links were back to articles & comments that I made recently so I can discard those as read.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.