nissen fundoplication post op

Posted , 15 users are following.

4 weeks today that i had the surgery for hiatus hernia which the surgeon said was larger than he presumed..I too had the stomach wrapped around the esophagus due to 60 % stomach acid in stomach.  The pains would mimic a heart attack for years and became more frequent.  I could not live with this any longer.  Surgery went well, i am on a slippery diet now,  things dont appear to get as stuck .  But I dont like the chest pains that i thought would leave me, now they are back occasionally.  That is what was so awful before the surgery.  Saw the Dr last wk  he said to eat ground food that slides....I tried and it gets stuck so i am back on thickened meals that slide, not so much chewed as yet....does this chest pain leave after awhile, what causes it?

1 like, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

After original HH surgery around 12 years ago again have a second HH (or reappearance of first)  and for months sufferd severe palpations triggered by any number of actions..e.g. Lying down, eating, movements involving twisting of torso and I think stressful situations triggered by things like  arguing/driving etc. I thought Problem exacerbated by fact I have had heart attack and therefore have damaged heart muscle. Around Xmas I was suffering terribly and quality of life was awful. My own research led me in direction of many others who feel somehow irritation of their vagus nerve which also affects heart was a big part of their problem. I write this tho to give you hope as about a month after Xmas for reasons I cannot explain my palpitations along with chest pain reduced considerably. At moment I do not dread going to bed and having palps hit me and there are many times when I almost forget just how bad they got. I do not have a magic answer but Don't lose hope as you may just suddenly turn corner and  have a much better quality of life. My only personal and less than unique suggestion is that overeating isn't a good idea. I fair much better when at the lower end of my weight range and eat smaller meals. Easter inevitably led to greater food consumption and a modest return of the palps so now trying to get back to optimum control of the symptoms. Good luck. 
  • Posted

The chest has been through alot. During surgery they blow the chest up to do the procedure. As my Dr explained to me, it takes lots of time forthe inside to heal. I am now 6wks post op, and still at times get pain in my chest and back. Just let the healing continue.
  • Posted

Hi liz44044

Sorry liz I have no knowledge of your condition; I suffer a sliding hiatus hernia but get no acid reflux. Sometimes I get a bit of discomfort but as long as I take my Lasoprazole 15mg daily it goes away.

Sorry I can't help or advise you.

Jazztrain

• Posted

Sounds to me as though your surgery was similar to mine.   I don't get too many chest pains now, just happens rarely.   I think that it happens to me when I eat certain foods and, perhaps, if I eat them too fast.   One of my problems now is that I eat my food too fast and I don't think that I chew some of my foods well enough before I swallow them.    Am going to try to conquor this problem.   My surgeon told me that it could take up to 6 months to get myself back the way that I was---- maybe it will take longer.   I do take acid reducer tablets but am not certain that they help all of the time.
  • Posted

Hi Liz

The chest pain should leave as you heal, don't hurry on solid foods, I did even though doctor said it was ok, my stomach was not ready for it.

I am almost 6 weeks out and still have pain in my back and diaphragm that was repaired. Some of the pain is caused from gas and gasx does help.

Someone posted for best healing is walking and I have not been walking enough, so yesterday I took to walks, try to do at least 2, 10 minute walks daily.

I felt so good after the walks and my food didn't make me feel sick which I think is gas after eating.

Hope this helps you,

Jo

• Posted

Thank You so much, today I feel somewhat better.....Last night I jumped up out of bed because I had a twinge of the chest pain coming on.....I took a drink of water and it subsided.....I'm just so fearful of that pain due to the last year of it was horrible suffering with chest pain that took sometime to go away when they did strike....every day does feel better thats a plus.  My doctor did say once this all heals I will never need an antacid again.  He doesn't feel anyone should be living on them as a daily basis.  It will be a miracle, and I did speak with one of his patients who had the same surgery 10 years ago.  She said she is feeling wonderful since the surgery and never needed antacids again.  My questions too is what happens when you become nauseated and of course we cannot vomit.  That must be awful waiting for it to go elsewhere.....if something does not go down just right now I get hiccups til it passes.....share your thoughts 

• Posted

Hi Liz

I have had the surgery and did not know that we can never vomit again. Do you know why that is?

Thank you

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo,

It is difficult to physically vomit because your valve has been stitched tight at the top of your stomach.  Unfortunately, if you do suffer with sickness and diarrhoea and are sick, then the stitches may become loose and you may find your symptons return. Hope this helps.

• Posted

Hi,

I had my Nissen op a year ago and although it has taken a long time (9 months) for my body to repair and feel 'normal' but I've not had to take any ppi medication. The chest pains are quite normal. I would suggest that you don't rush your recovery and if some food feels difficult, then go back to liquid or soft food. I eat smaller portions now and tend not to stick to 3 meals a day. I would give meat a miss for a while as I found the texture difficult to chew cope with. A glass of water often helps and a walk around the kitchen if any food gets stuck!! Take care x

• Posted

Thank You and everyone for their help.....Today I did have Mac & Cheese for lunch and have some chest discomfort.  But I think its my stomach adjusting to more solid foods.  The gas is rumbling and have to take milk of mag again....that could be why alll the gas and chest pain.  I am so out of sorts with everything and do know it takes time and time will heal....But, of course i think is something not right.....Thx everyone for your info and patience...this forum is very helpful and am glad I found it....Thx again for the support   Liz x.
    • Posted

Hi Josie

I am healing slow, have so much gas that after eating some food especially at night I start feeling sick like and get a nusea feeling, laying down helps and my surgery was 6 weeks ago. Just saw doctor and he was surprised that I was still having nusea, gave me some medication for the stomach and stronger GasX to take, wants me back in 2 months. My diaphragm was also repaired and still feels very tight. Appreciate any info.

I am older and maybe why is taking longer to heal, also have had Gaul bladder removed years ago.

Jo

• Posted

I had my surgery back on December 22nd and I am still not 100% healed.  My surgeon told me that it could take up to 6 months (or perhaps longer) for me to feel like I did before I had the surgery.   My biggest problem now is my appetite, as I can only eat small amounts of food.   And also have to watch what I eat.   Yesterday I tried to eat one of those frozen pot pies--- actually, it was part of a pot pie that was leftover from a previous meal.   Well, it didn't go down well.   But when I do throw up, it is most always in the form of slime.   I think that is good because I don't throw up the actual food itself.    But I still don't like it that I have to thorw up every now and then.    I have lost quite a bit of weight since the surgery- weigh about 125 lbs. now.    Hope that you get to feeling better soon!   I know that it's very frustrating!
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I pray you heal very soon. I had the surgery in Feb 16th and I am still not feeling well. I have much gas which will make me sick if I eat certain foods, i am very limited in what I can eat. I also had diaphragm repair at the same time and the doctor got it too tight and had to go back in the next day and take a stitch out. I also have a breathing problem which I had before, not my lungs, doctors thought is was caused from the very large hiatal hernia.

My diaphragm still feels tight. I am believing my breathing will be restored. Had my six week checkup and doctor said the gas problem is usually gone by now, he gave me a stronger gasx and a medication for the stomach. I am walking and now I can work in my yard.

• Posted

Hi Again  I too had a very large hiatal hernia repair..when they did the endoscopy they said it was a sliding one.  When he got in there during surgery he then said it was much larger than he thought and was not sliding it was torn right to left. He did say he tightened it a little tighter, that is all I know.  I too get out of breath at times, and flutters that i really cant explain in my chest, is it  my heart dont know....but it makes me want to sit and rest as it just happened while i was dus mopping the floor.  I dont know so many funny new things i just pray are normal and will go away....Up until then when that happens i felt fine this am, had oatmeal  for breakfast and soup for lunch went down well.  I do eat small portions and Slow......try that see if it works better.  The gas is much better....take milk of mag and be sure your bowels are moving daily or every other.   I take Activia every day(yogurt). Eat fruit, drink fruit juices and plenty of water.....Dont get discouraged which i wont allow myself to do and want to feel that way at times.  We are lucky to be able to share our problems....and whatever u do dont lift more than a gallon of milk for sometime...I was warned about that as well...Good Luck and God Bless  Liz
    • Posted

Thank you Liz

Today I felt sick all day, had much gas with everything I ate, if I lie down the sick feeling goes away. I am wondering if this is normal

It seems when the gas builds up, it causes me to feel sick and sometimes nausea. I pray this heals soon so I can function normal. Yesterday I worked in my flower's which in my joy. I am also older and that may be why I am not healing as fast.

Jo

• Posted

Hi Jo   I don't know what to say it seems unusual since Feb surgery....I am 5 weeks today since surgery I too am a senior.  I am eating soft foods, 2 small meatballs, sweet potato, beets for lunch.  All is good, chest pains are about gone...I tire easily, but now and then get this flutter i call it ...like its my heart....I am watching it carefully and will address it soon if it keeps happening.  As for you I don't understand the gas still happening.  It has to be what you are eating....give me an example of your daily menu....and yes walking around the house, a few times a day 10 mins., might help.  pls let me know and if it continues u must see your doctor or seek another opinion.  Did u have the Nissen as well as hiatal hernia repair?   Also, be sure your bowels are moving daily would be a good thing.....That too is creating gas i would think.   Good Luck and pray you get better soon

• Posted

Hi Liz

I eat mostly tomato soup because it gives me less trouble, I do eat eggs and 1 slice of sour dough toat, I also eat potato soup, also some cracker a few potatoes occasionally, I drink a organic veggie juice, it is like the v8.

Tonight b I ate 1 oz of chicken, very small amounts of squash and sweet potatoes.

My first 2 weeks I was on all liquid and didn't have the nausea or gas problem, I was also on the the drug medication. I don't have a Gaul bladder, thinking that may be part of the problem. I asked the doctor about burping and he said most people don't get the burping back but some do, it feels like I burp but he said no. Thank b you so much for your help, Jo

• Posted

Liz I forgot to tell you, I do have fairly good bms, I also walk several times weekly. I have also do gardening. I do stay active. Sometime the gas hurts so bad I have to lie down, then I get relief. I am on Facebook if you care to talk with me. Jo Tinsman
    • Posted

Hi Ruth

I had my surgery on February 16th of this year and I am not doing well with food, also have lots of gas and nausea after eating.

I was OK until I started eating some solid food after 2 week checkup. My doctor told me that I can not vomit nor do I have a real burp. I had what they call HYBRID HILL and Nissan repair, also had my diaphragm repaired. I had a very large haital hernia that was 50% into my chest.

I pray you get well soon Ruth.

Jo

• Posted

I to had my gall bladder removed in 1979 now last night i hardly slept the night due to the chest pains   my own fault i was accepting food so well i decided to have 2 small meatballs.  These were bought prepared supposedly organic....anyway it was the gas issue that caused the pain that i know.  I will continue to eat bland the foods that are natural, tomato i will not touch because of the acid im afraid....thx for your info Liz
    • Posted

Hi Jo   i spoke too soon.....last night I slept one hour due to the gas pains in my chest....It subsided at 7:30am when I had to get up because of an appt we had.  It was terrible, then it started up around 4pm again, I phoned the dr., and will be in to see him in am....what happened?  It makes one think is this my heart? I took one

Tb of milk of mag., now the gas is expelling and pains are going away...now i know its gas pains.   But why i ate nothing gassy,  But my bowels are not that good either. This certainly is a challenge, I thought I was doing soo good but now set back.  I only hope he gives me somethng for when this does happen the pains arent good...Hope you are well today   Liz

• Posted

Hi Liz

So sorry this has happened to you, one of the best things for gas is walking after eating.

When I went for 6 weeks checkup the doctor said the gas issue should not be happening now, he gave me a list of foods that cause gas,foods you would not think would cause gas. It is the different kinds of sugar in these foods. Wheat, potstoes, onions artichokes, the cabbage family,onoins also fruits the biggest culprits, prunes, apples, peaches and pairs. Milk is another one, beans, cheese.

Some of the veggies is because certain of sugers and fruits is because of soluble fiber.

This includes pastas cereals. I probably have not listed everthing. I take polyethylene glycol, in short meralax once daily until body will function by it self for stools. I hope I didn't forget anything, if so I will write later, phone and text coming in causing me not to think well. Doc wants to see me in 2 weeks and normal is 6 months, I think he doesn't understand what is wrong, myself I think it has to do with age and will just take longer to heal. Please let me know what your doctor says when you see him?

Jo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.