is anyone on methotrexate for crohn's?

Posted , 8 users are following.

i will be starting methotrexate for crohn's , was wondering if anyone else has used this for crohn's

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I have Crohns and am on remicaide and my doctor wants me to go on methotrexate to help resist the building up of antibodies. I still don't quite know if im going to do it, considering hte side effects im seeing. 
  • Posted

Hi 

hope your going ok with the mtx, I started 3 days ago and I seem to be falling apart!

feel bad, nausea, bleeding, dizziness 

Dx three years ago can you believe I'm 63 and get this!

been a pain ever since only a few days ok 

hope this stuff slows everything down but I sceptical after all the other stuff they gave me so far. What's next

how are you going on max so far!

im in Australia 

• Posted

Started last wee so far so good
  • Posted

Just started methotrexate 25mg once a week injection for Crohn's disease. Gave my first injection two days ago. Developed a headache last night and still have it today, also feel very tired and ache all over.

Have you had this experience? How long does it last? Does it happen every injection?

• Posted

I started methotrexate for crohns 3 weeks ago due to an allergic reaction to azathioprine. I've found that I'm more tired than usual and feel sick on day 2 and 3 following 12.5mg starting dose. The folic acid really helps with this (I take it every day apart from methotrexate day). Also getting abdo pain for about 3 days (no more pain than a crohns flare really) but hoping this settles once I'm established on the meds. Best of luck and hope you are able to tolerate it without too many side effects. 

• Posted

Hi Jm, my husband just started his MTX a couple of weeks ago and has had his 2nd injection of 25mg/week. He didn't have any side effects on first injection but after the 2nd one he started having rashes on his arms and back. Apart from that he said I've started feeling better, less guts pain. Anyone had any experience like this?

Ps. We are in Perth Australia

Hubby is 40 & diagnosed chrons 4yrs ago.

• Posted

I've been dignosed with Crohns since July 2014. Had issues previously but was finally diagnosed 2 years ago after they thought it was my appendix, twice. I've since started Remicade infusions every 8 weeks with multiple fllare ups in between. This past Friday, began 20 miligrams of MTX to go with my Remicade infusions which will now be switch to every 6 weeks. I am going to get a second opinion on Thursday from another doctor because this is my third flare up in 8 weeks and when I call, all they say is just take prednisone for 5 days and it's not helping!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.