Recently had a DG-HAL hemorrhoid surgery, need some help and advice

Posted , 12 users are following.

Hi everyone,

I'm 25 years old and had been living with stage II internal hemorrhoids for about 4 years now, and with a prolapsed thrombosis from one for about six months. It got seriously painful about three weeks ago and I couldn't sit down or do regular daily activites anymore. So I decided to visit a private clinic where they suggested the DG-HAL surgical procedure saying it was "non-invasive" and that they would surgically remove the thrombosis aswell. Fast forward, I had the procedure done this Wednesday and they said "Oh yeah it's a fast recovery, we do it on Wednesdays and Thursdays so that people can get back to their jobs by Monday"..so here I am, Sunday 4.45 A.M., haven't slept since the surgery, and I just don't feel like stuff is healing. I have no appetite but am forcing myself to eat more small meals and drink plenty of water and fiber and oil supplements to make the BM pass better. So my concerns are the following: it's already the fourth day and i feel more pain, and have the feeling like by bowels are full and trying to rip out of my torso. I'm taking antibiotics aswell as ketobrufen painkillers every 6 hours or so because It's just to unbearable. I have the urge to visit the toilet very frequently but when I try to push something out only small traces come out (it is soft and without blood though). It hurts like hell after I pass gas or a BM, the cut out thromb takes up most of the pain. When I try to go to sleep, as soon as I begin to doze off a spasm contracts in my rectum and the thromb starts hurting like hell and it wakes me up. They say the method takes about 3-4 days to recovery, but as you can see I call baloney on that. So if anyone has had a similar experience can you tell me if this is normal and if it isn't what should I do about it? I have a writtwn exam on Monday and I want to be functional to take it. Thanks in advance!

0 likes, 39 replies

39 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Dear tinman,

I will be honest with you I had this op in November I'm only starting to feel better now I still have twinges and serve itchin the recovery rate is a min of a few weeks get well soon remember soft BM'S lots of rest

• Posted

Thanks for the reply Mia! Oh my God that long :o I don't think I will survive it, I'm not very tolerant to pain..how did you deal with the pain though? How long did it last? Because I have constant pain now and I'm not sure if it's safe to take painkillers every six hours for three weeks :s also, I have classes that I need to attend in college which are every other week from 5-9 p.m. and the chairs are uncomfortable to say the least!
    • Posted

Hi Tinman the pain stops after about two weeks but it's the other symptoms that take ages to heal I had a infection two weeks after surgery that set me back about a month of healing .

Then I developed another pile with a hanging skin tag which sometimes itches and was bleeding a lot up until last month.

I couldn't drink alcohol for months I felt awful didn't go out and I've only started exercise again now I've put on two stone it was a horrible ordeal to be honest having piles and pile surgery was the worse experience of my life .

With the pain killer I know u not supposed to but I was taking 3 instead of two as the pain was so intense sleeping a lot and resting as I had such bad infection.

Remember you can't stop infection in this area any bleeding requires antibiotics ASAP

Best ,

Mia

• Posted

Oh God, so sorry to hear that, I'm on my fourth day but so far it has been the worst experience in my life aswell so I'm starting to feel ya! Well at least the time has passed and you are ok now! Thanks for all the advice!
    • Posted

Tinman ,

I know it's painful now and feels like the end of the world trust me I've been there this forum is amazing post when ever u feel low sad upset unsure some one will always get bk to you the only good thing about this operation was finds my this community of online friends.

Some people on this sight only had pain for a few days to week after halo every one is different!

• Posted

Yeah, that is quite true. To each his own I guess. Well I'm glad I found it, I always find comfort in other peoples advice, makes me know I'm not alone smile
  • Posted

I had a large number of external/internal thrombosed haemorrhoids removed and I was in pain for weeks.

I dreaded going to the toilet as I would basically go into shock each time, I would go cold and sweaty and shake and have to lie down after each movement.

My only advice would be to keep the area aired as much as possible and ensure that your stools are soft but formed.

I found myself running to the loo very often.

My concern would be that you feel a mass there/feel like you have a lot there but it's not moving, this could be fecal impaction so maybe ask your doctor for a suppository to soften this mass so you can pass it. You will find your motions much easier after this is dealt with, if it is fecal impaction.

Hope this helps

• Posted

Hey! Yeah I'm pretty much starting to despise my bathroom by now since I'm there most of the time :p I literally had 3 seperatw BM earlier and they were "enriched" so hopefully it isn't impaction. My really big problem actually is the sphincter contractions around the operated thrombosis (the ones you make when you drain your last drops of urine) that happen to me as soon as I start falling asleep, and they are also painful so it wakes me up every time. Any similar experiences to this one? It's been keeping me from normal sleep sad
  • Posted

Hi Tinman, I'm not sure which procedure you had but your symptoms are exactly the same as what I had, it's taken 3 weeks to just feel better! I have had no appetite, lost weight, felt like I had to stay by the toilet, I only just ventured out of the house 2 days ago. I had no sleep, and trying to sit on loo felt like razor blades! I was also told it would be less invasive treatment too! It's just time you need to heal, take warm baths or showers and just sit tight! It will get better but it's a slow process!
    • Posted

Thanks for the reply! I had the ligation surgery- DG-HAL. I have been doing most of those things that you mentioned. My appetite was at an all time low but it's actually getting better now, eating fiberous food and drinking water. When do you think I will be able to sit down for longer periods of time, I have college majors that I need to attend soon? What did you do painkiller wise?
    • Posted

Hi Tinman,

i can now sit comfortable, it took me three weeks to the day after op! Also painkillers for approx two and a half weeks.

keep drinking the water and good luck!

• Posted

Hi Tinman , the pain  are experiencing and the sensation of full bowels , and having to go to the toilet very very frequently are similar to what I have just gone through over the last few months. I recall a Wednesday in p[articular when i went to the toilet 10 times in a day and very little came out , and 13 times on the Thursday with the same results , and every time I felt very little relief after this movement before the onset of pain again . I actually was referred back into hosp[ital to see a doctor as I was starting to suspect am impaction . They checked me over but found no evidence . Now for the alrming bit .... On the Friday I hadnt gone to the toilet right up until 1 pm , when finally I felt I could go , and this kinda worried me after the experiences two days previous . When I went I felt the sensation of a very full bowel , and the urge to push hard as the pain of this movement was severe . When it finally came out , I looked into the toilet expecting to see poo . NO , what was lying in the bottom of the pan were two pices of flesh . The larger being about 4 inches long and to be honest looked like a section of bowel , accompanied by anotjher smaller piece which showed a little trace of blood . I didnt flush it , instead shouted through my wife who is a nurse . She confirmed it looked like flesh , and then did the unthinkable , and donned the rubber gloves . She lifted out the pieces and confirmed it was flesh . I took photographs and sent them to my surgeon by email  expecting a call to go into hospital immediately , but the call never came . Since that day I have been able to go to the toilet much easier , it was like the obstacle had been removed , but it worried me for weeks after that . It turns out that I now need corrective surgery to rectify what has been discovered as the wrong procedure for me ( haemorrhoidectomy) . I just hope you dont go through the same thing tinman . My issues were more likely to be prolapse bowel and a pelvic floor issue , and wrongly diagnosed as haemorrhoids .

The people here are a great bunch , and we all been through similar but not identical procedures , and am sure you will get a great amount of re assurance from them .  Good luck .

• Posted

Oh wow! That must have been a scene for you, I can only imagine the shock when you saw that! Well that sucks to get a wrong diagnose. You would have had me worried if I didn't have 5 BM today which were all compact and semi-soft (one piece was dark but I'm guessing it's from the ketoprofen that I have been taking) Actually feeling much better ever since I released all that from me smile Thanks for the concern and good luck to you too. Awesome name by the way wink
    • Posted

Dear sore butt,

I hope u are okay this sounds awful you poor thing I'm really in shock as to what happened to you I wish you a speedy recovery and hope it all works out please keep us update get well soon .

P.s I nearly cried reading this I can't believe what u have been through 😥

• Posted

Hi guys feeling really low today

I've been working really hard this week I work in retail not siting down and taking breaks it's very itchy for a few days no bleeding just itching and pain .

Today I felt inside I know gross but it felt super lumpy I used a surpostriy to put up but I'm in pain and itchy I don't know what's going on I thought the halo was meant to fix all this 😐

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.