Facial stretch due to Lupus. Any solution?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi, I am new to the group. Kindly help if anyone has any solution to my problem.

I was detected with Lupus last year. It started with a cold sensation on the right side of my teeth. After about 15 days, the strage feeling suddenly reached up to my head. So since last year my entire right side of the face, nose, eyes, teeth,mouth feels weird with this stretchy feeling. Its feels like a face pack permanently stuck on the right side of my face.

Gradually my joint pains started-my arms, knees, pain in the wrist, inflammation in fingers.My fingers started turning white and then blue, had a lot of hair fall as well during the same period.

Have been under medication since last year after I was detected with Lupus. Thankfully, a lot of my problems like joint pains, hair fall,fingers changing color etc have settled to a large extent, however, I my face problem still remains the same. I feel very strange on the face all throughout. Really looking for a solution to this.Any remedy pls anyone? tks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

There are one or two possibilities for the strange sensation over your face, one being Bell's Palsy, this is where the facial nerves have been affected by a virus (most likely!) which leads to a partial or full paralysis of the side affected. You don't mention any drooping eyelids or inability to swallow saliva, or the loss of your smile, so I would say this is an unlikely possibility. Sometimes, though, Bell's Palsy can manifest as a change in sensation, either more sensitive or less sensitive to any stimulus. 

The other possibility is Trigeminal Neuralgia, which usually causes extreme pain in the side of the face/head affected can manifest as a chnage in sensation in the earliest stages. I would advise you to have a detailed chat with your GP or Rheumatologist to further investigate this as the treatment options are vastly different.

Other than those possibilities I'm at a loss! Best of luck.

Feel better soon.

• Posted

Thanks Susan.. Yes have been regularly visiting differents Rheumatologists but seems like they dont have an answer to this. Yes,I dont have any facial pain  etc like your correctly pointed. It just an unusual feeling where the skin feels thick but no pain.Its like something which has been damaged and may or may not go.. But I am still hopeful that I may get sme cure someday..

Thanks  a lot..

• Posted

You're welcome.

I share your frustration as I have had issues with Lupus like problems for about 10 years now and despite blood tests and symptoms indicating Lupus I don't have the facial malar rash (I have a rash on my thigh and sometimes my wrists and neck) and because I put the hair loss down to my age and hormones the Rheumatologist has dismissed Lupus as a definite diagnosis. He has, however, admitted that there is something in the autoimmune bracket to explain my symptoms!

I have also just recently had a diagnosis of Trigeminal Neuralgia. I had excruciating pain in my left eye on and off for years which I initially thought was a type of migraine/cluster headache. But in the last year or so the pain got much worse and more widespread and I now have weird sensations of spikey-footed spiders crawling over my cheek, also I feel like my jaw and nose have been punched! My face generally feels weird/numb/tingly most of the time. Which is why I wondered whether you may have TN too.

It is definitely worth having a chat with your GP, he/she can at least rule out anything too sinister. I wonder also, whether you have any dental or sinus problems? Sometimes abcesses can press on the facial nerves, but to be honest you would have a lot of pain it was either of these, still, worth checking out!

Best wishes.

• Posted

I am sorry to hear about your condition. 10 years is a long time! I dont have any dental or sinus problems so far. But thanks for sharing with me smile 

I will further consultant my GP on this..Thanks a tonne.

Speedy recovery to you too..

• Posted

Thanks Susan.. Yes have been regularly visiting differents Rheumatologists but seems like they dont have an answer to this. Yes,I dont have any facial pain  etc like your correctly pointed. It just an unusual feeling where the skin feels thick but no pain.Its like something which has been damaged and may or may not go.. But I am still hopeful that I may get sme cure someday..

Thanks  a lot..

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.