BONVIVA / IBANDRONIC ACID

Posted , 6 users are following.

This is not exactly the same as Alendronic Acid but its the same family.

2 years ago I was started on AA because after a 2nd THR I had a fracture during exercises {NHS}. I demanded a DEXA and it showed Osteoporosis.  

Fracture of the greater trochanter bone which wont heal and is leaving me on crutches permanently and with a lot of pain because it will never heal..

The AA made me very queasy, it was changed to another one with the same effects so eventually  the GP put me on Bonvita {dont know if anyone else is on it} its a once a month tablet not once a week. The thinking was that if I was going to be queasy at least it would be only once a month not every week.

I know the bisphoates can cause aches and pains but I had so many to start with I dont know what is what.  I have arthritis in my hips, lower back and ankle. I have kypho scoliosis, this fracture from the greater trochanter bone etc etc.

Recently My leg has been sore, knee cap, back of leg, side of leg, it moves about.

Today I was supposed to take my Bonviva and forgot.  It was thinking about this that made me think had those tablets anything to do with it.

First GP said it was a pulled hamstring, second GP said it was inflammation and put me on an extra Naproxen and made an appointment for the physio. She doesnt seem to really know and gave me exercises to do and told me not to wear such flat shoes

Sorry for the ramble

Love

Eileen  UK

2 likes, 329 replies

329 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Eileen

You can ramble as long as you like. Sometimes the only way of getting a clear picture is to put everything into print and then review it critically. One thing that does seem to stand out in your rambles, is that none of your clinicians seem to know how these bisphosphonate actually function and I would guess that the long term view has never entered their head. Maybe you should enquire as to what results they expect from the medication etc. and then check it out for yourself. There's lots of information around and most of it is easily accessible. I did this and gave up the AA preferring to go it alone unless things got desperate.

Whatever you do, best of luck and don't be frightened to ask questions. The worst that could happen is that you may not get a reply; the best, that you may get a useful answer.

• Posted

Hi,

{Was your name Colin??} Anyway thanks for letting me ramble. I am not scared to ask questions. Not one of these people that think all doctors are little gods LOL  It will be over a week before I can see any of them but I will make an appointment, ask them about them,the instructions say......not to take them if you are taking Naproxen {which I am} and a couple of other things I have highlighted to point out.

I have been given a prescription {a few times} that is contraindicated with other meds. I've gone to them and said no thanks thats contraindicated with a certain tablet. No its not, yes it is.......so he did check it and said ummmm!!!! well yes on a higher dose it is contraindicated but I was giving you the lower dose. I said "so I'm quite safe on the lower dose I wont have any seizures???? He said "nothing is written in stone"

Sorry forgot to mention when I was 18months old I started with epilepsy and this continued until into my twenties then eased off a bit but I still had to keep taking my tablets {no problem} I'm now almost 70 and the last one I had was when I was 34,.......during the 9 months of my last pregnancy burt still take my tablets and this is what it was contraindicated with. No way am I taking the chance of anything happening so I handed him back the prescription and said No thanks. I mean I'm driving and leading a normal life.

This is rambling  LOL.

You came of AA and said you would stay off them until you became desperate.......what is desperate? How would you know? I dont know that these are doing any good but if I stopped them I might realise they had been......like pain killers......you think they arent working but if you forget to take them you know about it  LOL

Love

Eileen  UK

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Yes this is Colin. I hae come off AA and am having some problems at the moment. It's the reverse of start-up side-effects but they seem to be easing of a bit. For me, Desperate is when I've run out of sensible things to do and nothing is working. I don't envisage that happening, there's too much at stake and so far I've uncovered a variety of alternative actions to persue. Will get back to you tomorrow, wife is calling from upstairs.

Regards

Colin - N Yks

• Posted

I began taking AA at the beginning of November 2015 and had a variety of side-effects that never seemed to go away. I joined this forum shortly after starting AA and came across a number of ladies who seemed to know what they were talking about so I picked out some good bits and then did some research using available resources. First of all, found that you need both vitamin D3 and also K2 (being aware of its blood clotting abilities) (I take a daily mini-aspirin as well). You also need zinc. Without the zinc, the bone repair process will not get under way since zinc helps to produce the collagen that makes the matrix upon which the calcium will be deposited. Oh, of course you need calcium. The vitamin D (400iu) that comes with the calcium I take (chewable tablets) is generally not considered to be enough on its own and you need either a lot of sun or a supplement. The side effects with most of the above are negligible for most people and the results are apparently quite amazing. Additionally, apples, one daily, have a chemical in the skin that promotes bone growth.

On top of all that, there is the exercise. According to a well known doctors book, the best form of exercise for bone growth is two legged jumping for a count of 50 followed by the same again after a reasonable break.  You will have noted that this is my understanding of what I've read, been told, and deduced from video presentations and forums. My memory is fairly good but if I find that I've missed anything off, I'll let you know. I am also a great believer in being able to psyche yourself up to help things along but you have to really believe in what you're doing.

I reckon that I'm halfway there already!

Best wishes

Colin

• Posted

I forgot the magnesium and I know to take it but I'm tld it's to keep you beautiful - For healthy bones and teeth. Adequate magnesium is required for absorption and metabolism of calcium.

Appologies for my clumsiness in suggesting the jumping exercises. Reading back over the recent posts I realise that this is not something that everyone is able to do. (and today, that includes me, very achey and losing water like nobody's business. The AA caused me water retention to the tune of around a half stone - 6 pints.) It's my well-man cardio/vascular clinic coming up and at this rate I'll meet the weight targets with ease.

I think I need to begin a folder and print out the relevant posts.

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin and Eileen;

​apologies for jumping in here, but having given the matter considerable thought, and even starting the AA on Monday, having read lots of info I am now going to try the natural way.  I followed your advice Colin, and thank you, I have ordered some K2 and Zinc, already take the calcium/Vit d chewables, and already take magnesium but take extra in some of the other bits i take - can't think off the top of my head!  The AA side effects really scared me, and I decided that going the natural way, and improving my health and fitness.......as much as i could - not sure about the jumping but hey might try one one day! lol  - certainly not heard about apples but adding them to the shopping list.  I really don't want any more health issues as i suffer enough already. 

​Eileen, Watch the Naproxen, it can upset the stomach, i cannot take NSAID's easily and was on Ibrubrufen and strong painkillers after breakng both my wrists end of last year, then thought i'd be clever and use Piroxicam gel as well which thoroughly upset my stomach i think ...I have osteo arthritis too and Fibromyalgia, as well asthma.  You seem to be  suffering with a lot already.  I do hope that the advice helps, and I am indebted to Colin for his helpful advice. 

​Colin, a folder may be a good idea!!

​Good luck to you both smile  And thank you.

• Posted

Good wishes go with you.

I intend to post summary updates every month or so and also to catch up on any new developments.

Regards Colin

aka Aristotle

• Posted

Hi Colin and Carrie

Apologies Colin......I've been in hospital for tests and havent been near the computer for a few days

Carrie.....dont apologise for ju,mping in.....not private...the more opinions we get the better I think.  As for the naproxen I take a stomach liner with it as well.....Lansoprozol {Spelling?}

I was in for a colonoscopy today and the top end as well  rolleyes forget the name and the verdict was clear......not a thing to be seen at either end....so no ulcers no bleeding etc.  I do know not to use cream with anti inflammatory in it while take the tablets......That was pointed out a long time ago by a friend....I wouldnt have thought of that as overdosing but it is.

Colin once again sorry for not being on line to answer but all day was taken up with this procedure and yesterday the preparation for it.....wont go into details cheesygrin

I do take calcium....welll sounds the same a s carried AD Cal but they can have different names......vit. D with calcium

I've got to admit I'm a bit scared to take anything else because of the cocktail I'm taking and it is so easy to get things that are contraindicated with ones you already take.

I think a folder is a good idea as well

Good luck with it

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Forgot to mention that the information that I have collated and analysed has come from a variety of sources - books, contributors to these forums, particularly the ladies with OP,  Presentations and videos from learned people; some hep from search sites and some of my own deductions based on the answers previously received.  I think that most of the credit must go to books and the forum contibutors. I now feel quite confident that this can be beaten. I was scepticle at first but it does seem that we could well be onto a winner. I intend to pursue this with some vigour (good exercise) and hopefully now that I am significantly lighter I should find the exercise easier. Not sure about the jumping but I'll give it a go.
    • Posted

Hi Eileen

​I am glad all clear with the colonoscopy ....at least you know the naproxen not causing any side effects.  Yes it is so hard knowing, as when i seem to see the Dr he concentrates on one problem at a time rather than seeing the bigger picture sad  I almost feel it is better to do my research, go along, tell them in a nice way (!) what i think i need and will help and take it from there! lol  As for the gel anti-inflammatory, that was my stupid fault.....my only excuse was that i was on strong painkillers and not thinkign clearly!!!  I have got myself back onto co-codamol now so fingers crossed.  I certainly will not be using it again in the near future unless absolutely necessary! lol 

​I do hope you recover from your procedure ok, take it gently.  It is scary to juggle all our medication, I did get hold of a BNF (aka Dr bible!) which lists all medication and their possible side effects, but i need to update my copy.  Think i got it from amazon.  But even then, with so many health complains and issues, it is very hard to know what is the right thing to take for something.  All we can do is balance it all as best we can.  Good luck.  smile and take care smile kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Have fallen foul of the moderators again. Not sure why this time, I had listed the sources of my material and the only one that I can think of that they may not like is referring to the author of the book that I've been reading.
    • Posted

Glad to hear that you've made a choice and are going to give it a try. If things don't go as you expect, you will still have the option of taking OP medication in the future. Just be wary of falling!

One of the side effects of AA that I hadn't really considered is its ability to destroy the oesophagus. A friend who was taking AA and followed all the rules has had the end of her oesophagus rotted off and now has horrible problems to cope with. Very sad for her and it just reinforces my belief that I (and you) have made the correct decision.

Bye for now

Colin

• Posted

Yes you are right.  Sometimes it feels like the choice we have to make is the hardest.  It is in the knowing which avenue to go down.  Oh absolutely wary of falling!!!!  That is a worry....all i can do is keep exercising gently and trying. 

​So AA can DESTROY the oesophagus??  Gawd! sad  I hope to goodness she has found a way round that! sad  How awful for her, and as you say, reinforces things that this AA is not a good drug to take sad  Someone else was mentioning another drug which i must research, can't think of it off the top of my head, but apparently it was mentioned in a Daily Mail article.  IF the natural way doesn't work then maybe i need to look into this. 

​Thanks for your support and help Colin, much appreciated.  I hope you continue to do well 'the natural' way, you take care, and for now have a good day smile  Kind Regards Carrie

• Posted

wish they wouldn't try and 'control' things.  Thanks anyway Colin.  Kind Regards Carrie

​PS some of the comments seem to be coming out of sinc/time for some weird reason hence my haphazard comments!  xx

• Posted

If we can beat this......yay!  All information is good smile  I will keep my eyes on this forum and learn as much as I can .....my K2 and Zinc arrived this morning, so along with the magnesium and calcium and vitamin D, and regular exercise i am hopefuly now which to be honest prior, i wasn'.  So it is thanks to good ppl like yourself, Eileen, et al, who are sharing their information that we all can gain. 

PS did try one jump yesterday - phew!! lol :D

​Thanks for all your advice Colin smile  Take care kind regards Carrie xx

• Posted

It seems that you are really on the right track and as regarding learning, the more the merrier - knowledge is power, certainly over your body and what you permit doing to it. For me, feeding acid is not really on, it's just too dangerous when there are reasonable options.

The advice was given freely and willingly. One of my things has always been that I enjoy giving help to people when I can. I wouldn't have made a good teacher, I would have given all the answers away!

All the best for the future & like you, I shall keep an eye on the forums.

Just noticed, I'm a '4' now. Must have been doing a lot of gabbing!

Bye and glad to have been of service.

Kind Regards

Aristotle

aka Colin.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Hope that you've recovered from your recent ordeal. It sounded pretty awful but good that the results were clear. The calcium that you take is the same one that I have although the pharmacist keeps trying to palm me off with a cheaper versions that have lactose or aspartame - both of which are like poison to me. There are 400iu of vitamin D but i actually take extra because I believe that we don't get enough from the sunshine with all the grotty weather that we get.

I managed to get started on my new exercise regime today and was able to include using the step with weights and reached 8kg in each hand. The two footed jumping was actually quite difficult but should get easier with time. Even cut down on the size of the gammon steak that I usually have on Friday - recommendation from the book that we keep animal protein to a minimum. Still got some vertigo even though I've temporarily reduced the calcium to zero for five days to see if that is the cause. I actually believe that it's a left over from the AA.

I don't blame you for being scared to change things, the effects which knock-on can be quite significant and I don't believe the doctors have all the answers either. The softly-softly approach is definitely the best.

Have started the folder and am reappraising some of the past posts to try and pick up the good bits.

Hope that all is well with you. Feel free to ramble - I do!

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​sorry for the delay, but my internet went down yesterday sad  Thankfully just been fixed! lol

​I certainly hope I am on the right track, and you are right, knowledge is power.  LOL re being a teacher!  :D  And it is lovely that you do enjoy helping ppl so much, that is a good thing smile  All the best for the future to you too....(I seem to be gaining badges on here quite well!! lol)  Congrats on now being a '4'! lol  Have a good weekend smile

​Kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi again Carrie,

Internet failures can be quite a bug-bear but my router has zapped the radio updater on my weather station as well. Had to move the station 20+ feet away to keep it working.

I've done some double checking and I'm happy that the course is spot on. There are minor tweaks that can be made as other things become clearer but one thing that reinforces my belief that we are correct is that none of the very intelligent friendly people on this forum have come up with any negatives which is quite reassuring. The information in 'the book' is quite explicit and the aim is to cure osteoporosis. My exercise summary above is the first day of the rest of my life. I quite enjoyed the session but I got a few peculiar looks when I started the two-legged jumping.  It didn't seem as easy as it used to be many years ago. Really, I suppose that I have to have total belief in the treatment or I can't expect it to work. But I shall really keep on monitoring all the aspects of what I do to see if there is any detecable change for the better or worse.

Regarding the badges, it seems as though helping others gives you badges as well.

Please feel free to post or message if you have any worries or concerns and I'll happily try and help. It's always possible that your body may behave in a different fashion from mine.

In the meantime, all the best, have a good weekend yourself

Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​Thank you so much smile 

​:D re the exercise programme....funny how jumping et al is not as easy as it once way; i've found the same! lol  BTW i have just ordered a copy of 'the book' having reread posts!  So will read it with great interest when it comes. 

Yes, I've found the same with the badges!

​Thanks again - good luck with it all smile  Kind Regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin

You're so right about the weather and not getting enough sunshine.....its still dreadful. Poured all day......I dont think we say daylight today LOL

Thats great that you have got your regime started....good luck and keep it up.

As for the gammon....I'm a veggie so no problems there.

Oh yes I have recovered thanks........it was horrible but thats it and it was clear.

Oh something [off topic] I've had a very sore leg for a few months then the other one joined in. Its the same side {left} where I have metal in my ankle {car knocked me down and reversed and then came forward over it} about 6 years ago, the trochanter fracture from 2 and a half years ago is the left side and now the left knee and back of knee flared up.

Eventually the GP sent me for an X Ray yesterday.....they just did the left leg but by the time I got there the right one is joing in as well

About a week before the results but I'll ring the surgery before that.

I'm supposed to be going to Venice 25th of Next Month!!!!! No transport and me on 2 crutches...well I knew I would be on 2 crutches but hadnt banked on my knees going

Well you did say feel free to ramblecheesygrin

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen - Ramble on, I'll feel free to return the favour. It's probably good for both our brains and social systems!

Nice to hear from you but it really does sound like you are having a hard time of it again. Reading your ramblings actually does me a lot of good because it makes me give thanks to my lucky stars that I am still reasonably fit and got most of my mental faculties as well. I regularly moan about the state that I've let my body get into and then I get an uncomplaining message that puts me in contact with my empathetic side again. You ladies really are long-suffering and mostly we don't hear much in the way of moans and groans. Leave those for the fellows! On my good side I shared my gammon steak with Pauline my wife and had a lovely walk along the South Bay and watched the waves and the holidaymakers on the beach before climbing the hills back to where I had left the car. This is double-edged because I initially walked to the gym from the car, around half a mile, did the exercises minus the treadmill (already done the walking), then walked back to the car to dump my gym gear (Bag weighs several pounds/Kgs and then another round 4 miles to have lunch and return. Felt better for it as well. A further thing that I've noticed since coming off AA is that my blood-pressure is consistently lower than it had been whilst taking AA (I got into the habit of keeping tabs on my blood pressure when I had a minor cardiac issue some years ago. Sorted the issue but still keep monitoring). Hadn't seen any mention of this in any posts but if it works for me it will probably work for others as well (although that may not follow, my physiology does seem a little unusual).

The folder is coming on nicely with a section for each of the mainline threads that I'm following and eventually a cross-reference to the people whose posts I have an interest in reading. Years ago, I would have completed this in a couple of hours, now it's going to be at least a couple of weeks.

Will you still be able to make the Venice trip with you on two crutches. I haven't been there but there does seem to be a lot of small spaces with not a lot of area to swing a crutch. Being nosey as I am, I was intrigued about the trochanter fracture and I can't figure out how that could fracture unless it had already had some form of crack in it. These are the things about which we never get to know the real answers. The nosey bit is just me - there is very little about which I cannot raise some interest and once interested, I usually want to know more. I was a slow starter but have more than made up for it.

See, you're not the only one who can ramble on and I think that I just got past the point where I should have quite whilst I was ahead!  Will keep in touch and provide ongoing bulletins etc. My life seems quite interesting to me at the moment. Must do some gardening & painting!

I don't think that I need to tell you that you need to be real careful, you probably take much more care than I do.

Bye for now

Kind Regards

Colin

aka Aristotle

• Posted

Hi Colin

Actually I'm a volunteer for Arthritis Care and do community talks and we have stands in hospitals and people come to ask questions and if we cant answer them well we can usually sign post them to the right place.

That really cheers me up because I meet some people that I think are much worse than me.......also people that say things like Arthritis....thats it....cant do anything now. Which is a load of rubbish you just have to do things differently

So thats similar to you reading posts.

That sounds like a lot of exercise you did and it was out doors.....much better than stuck in a stuffy gym smile Well done you.

As for Venice I was on 2 crutches when I set a goal for myself......to go there.  We've been there 3 times before so I'm not going in blind.

Its another world.....you dont really think how do the bins get emptied etc?? Until you get there and you see a barge pulling up, 2 bin men jumping off running to another street grabbing to wheelie bins and bringing them back, empty them, and then run bak again to put them where they found them. They must be fit.....lots of things like that. You dont cross roads....there aren't any LOL You cross bridges to get to the other side. Its only since my knees started hurting a few months ago that I'm beginning to wonder....but its paid for now.. It is quite big {moreso than it seems} It might end up with us going out first thing as usual, me sitting down outside a hotel with coffee and people watching for a while and let Peter go and have a walk....he is fit and walks 3 times a week {about 3 hours or so each time} but it wont be as long over there. We'll just not do as much as we have done before.

As for the trochanter bone......I had osteopinia beforethe hip replacement and that was on my notes. Then doing one of their exercises it cracked and my leg gave way. In hospital the consultant {emergency one} asked if I had osteoporosis....I said No....osteopinia but it could be osteoporosis by now. Thats was it....didnt say anything more. Nurse asked the same question, Physio asked the same thing they got the same answer but no one did anything. Just sent me home the next day.

I thought well if they aren't doing anything i will so rang the GP and asked when the next DEXA was due....she said the end of the year {this was Feb} so she got the appt early.....and thats when they discovered i had osteoporosis!!!!!!

I saw my own consultant about 1 month later and he showed me the X Ray and apparently its the muscle that has been stretched and stretch so far it will never go back. {You're as wise as me} He also showed me the X Ray from my first replacement and there was a crack across it.....just a hairline crack and he said thats a fracture but you didnt know you had it because it didnt seperate.

Well I think thats it for the minute....rambled enough

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,That is a real good ramble, very interesting and answered several forming questions. Pauline, my wife, has quite bad arthritis in her left knee and uses a painkiller cream to make it bearable. Particularly bad going down steps or down hill but we keep it well exercised - the use it or lose it philosophy. Her doctor is reluctant to recommend a replacement because the quality of the end result is said to be not as good.as even an arthritic original. I haven't looked into this yet but it's on my list. The meeting people is really important, up until recently I did a lot of volunteer work for the Guide Association, usually looking after the finances as treasurer. With so many units and the Guiders not having a clue about balancing double entry books, it eventually became too big a job and I withdrew back into retirement. I used to attend the committee meetings to report on progress etc and I found it quite interesting. The Commissioner reckoned some of the more idle Guiders were taking advantage of the chance to get someone else to do the accounts.

My journey into OP came about because my daughter was diagnosed with osteopenia and the doctor suggested that it could be our lifestyle and possibly a bit of hereditory involvement and I should get tested as well. That was in 2008 and a dexascan showed mild osteopenia with a recommendation for a repeat scan in two years. So eight years later here I am having taken myself off AA after at last getting a follow-up scan. I still am certain that the course upon which I've begun is the correct one and things are beginning to progress slowly with the food changes, exercise etc. I will beat this.

Five mile walk in the morning through a couple of seaside parks and then around the bottom of our hilltop castle to a little cafe on the fish pier. Lunch and then a walk back to the car.  We used to walk the whole trip but it's too far for Pauline now.

Done some more collating and have come across your posts from January which explain the crack and fracture and the stretching. You really have had it a lot harder than I anticipate ever happening to me and I intend to start having fun again now the weather is improving.

I'm quite good at this type of rambling, I'd like to try the back to nature type of rambling sometime.

Enough rambling for now.  Will chat again soon.

Best regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

Starting at the top of your post......What cream does Pauline use?

My problem about cream is that it cant have antiinflammatory in it. I take Naproxen {tablet} so that would be over dosing.  I've got loads of creams that I try...for my knees, for this fracture and for my lower back  rolleyes  Use it or lose it is very important but can you give me an idea of what kind off exercises she does.  This knee is a new thing. Hips, back and neck and one ankle are mor normal to me and I know what to do for those but knees....not yet!!

I agreee about meeting people......very important. Even if you are sore and dont feel like it you are better to force yourself to go out.

I actually got myself to church today for the first time in a couple of months......what with being in and out of hospital, having procedures done etc I havent been for ages. Peter {who doesnt go to churchwink} more or less forced me to go this morning. He took me and picked me up.  I was really glad I had gone. Really enjoyable meeting lots of people I hadnt seen for ages.

I used to be a Tawny Owl.......that was in my fitter dayslol

That does sound a long way for Pauline now. does she use any aids....walking stick?

Can I ask where youlive......just reading the bit aboutthe seaside parks and hilltop castle made me wonder......just roughly....dont want your post codecheesygrin

I'm in the North East......in Northumberland but spend must of my time in the Tyne and Wear area........I'm just 3mins {in a car} over the Tyne and Wear border and into Northumberland. My arthritis care branch is Tyne and wear and all the volunteering for them is Tyne and Wear,

Make the ost of your time......although improving weather????not sure about that  LOL  Still raining or hailing or snowing here. Not much hail and snow but it comes every now and then

Thanks for your reply

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Colin and Eileen,

You really have had bad Eileen, so sorry.  This whole bone thing is a quagmire of misinformation and problems, and relying on people.  It is interesting you volunteer for Arthritis Care.  As you say you can find out plenty of information and meet loads of ppl.  I myself volunteer for the PDSA...or at least I was until the accident. sad  I do hope to return at some point.

​Colin, I am also interested, like Eileen in what cream Pauline uses.  I used piroxicam gel, but that, with the ibrubrufen understandably was not good! Someone told me about Aloe Propolise cream but I am not sure that would help. The other thing I guess would be one of the 'heat' creams or something.

​I so agree about getting out and about as much as possible, and I am very impressed by your walk Colin smile  I am hoping I will get 'the book' soon in the post so I can take on board things I can do to help myself bar what I am doing.  I am back on HRT so apparently that is a good thing! lol  

​Colin, how long did you take the AA for?  I have taken one tablet, and don't want to take any more.  Someone mentioned strontium....have you come across that in your research?  I am wondering if I should carry on or get extra help by seeing a rheumatologist.  Though I guess they would try and push the AA again sad which I don't want! 

​Take care Eileen and well done on getting to church smile

​Colin, keep up the walking!  And keep us posted on your progress smile

​Kind regards to you both smile xx

• Posted

Hi Eileen Thanks for replying, that was pretty quick when you consider how long it takes me to type these!

Anyway, onward - Pauline uses a cream known as Capsaicam which seems to cause the generation of heat and overall eases the pain in her knee significantly. She uses it 3-4 times a day depending upon how much pain she has. Standing in the kitchen preparing food is the time when the pain is at its worst. I often go in anlp with chopping some vegetables. In a couple of weeks she's supposed to be having a go at an injection (I don't have too much faith in these since the one in my shoulder worked for two days and then things were just as they had been. Pauline doesn't do any exercises specifically for the arthritis, just walking which is usually not too bad for her. This morning was an exception, she'd raked out some shoes she liked years ago and decided to walk in those. They are now going to the Sue Ryder shop - need I say more. She had a THR some years ago - 2007 December and thought that was wonderful after all the pain she had suffered because the plonker in the pain clinic wouldn't do an x-ray and insisted that it was referred pain from her back. You see there is no wonder I have a low opinion of so called specialists who wouldn't recognise a barn door if they saw it. By the time an x-ray was done, the ball was just a small pointy object. This is one of my many trigger points, please excuse me.

Pauline likes church services but is picky over who the preacher is and the music that will be sung so she doesn't go very ofter but prefers meetings in Sainsbury's coffee shop with old cronies. She used to be a Guide - Guider and District Commissioner before moving to Brownies with my daughter Wendy and helped to run the unit for quite a few years. We've all given it up now - Wendy found it just too much effort to do a proper job because of her M.E.and she thought that the girls were missing out so she gave up the unit and the girls moved to other units.

Pauline doesn't use any aids except my arm when coming down steps where there isn't much of a hand-hold. That's just for personal safety as much as anything.

We live in Scarborough, at the top of a large hill so if there is any flooding, the rest of the town gets it first. I'm sure that you had an inkling that it would be somewhere like that. We are both born & bred Scarborians and we've been together with only short breaks since 1957, although we didn't get married until 1968 when Pauline became a teacher.

I was a radio officer in the merchant navy for a while (around 4 years) and during late 1963 and early 1964 I was on flat-iron colliers taking coal from the Tyne and Wear to the power stations up the Thames so I was actually familiar with what things were like in the North-East in those days. In Newcastle the favorite docking place was Dunstan Staithes on the South side of the Tyne. Those were the days. I had a cousin hwo lived just north of Newcastle in a place where there is now a large Motel. I believe it was called Seaton Burn (digging deep now).

I've had and am still having a wonderful life - I actuall built my own colour television in 1973-75 and I never seen one since with such a good picture (not that I'm biased, I adjusted it to what I liked).

I'm beginning a general ramble again so will get back to my collating etc.

Nice to ramble with you. Take care

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

I am going off line now so will answer this tomorrrow but just thought i would mention......Thanks for the gel.....I've thought about that....thats something similar to peppers isnt it???

As for Pauline in the kitchen.......She can self refer to an ocupational therapist at the hospital......They will give {lend} her a perch stool. Did she not get one when she had a THR? I did and then shortly after had my 2nd THR then this fracture ....so I can keep it.

I'll answer tomorrow.......just a thought.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Carrie

Thanks for posting again, it's always interesting to get a different slant on things. I guess that you will have read my post where I mentioned Pauline's cream - Capsaicam. It is a pepper (plant) based cream and seems to work for a while after application giving Pauline some relief for a couple of hours. Regarding the walk, we've been following a similar routine since shortly after I joined the Sports Centre which used to be the local lawn tennis association. On Fridays I spend around 90 minutes at the gym and then we meet up (Pauline walking around two and a half miles) at the top of the cliffs overlooking what used to be our South Bay Swimming Pool. We follow the Victorian walkways which have access which doesn't involve steps and make our way through the flower gardens and down to the Spa. From there, it's around one and a half miles to our favourite little cafe on the fish pier where we have lunch.

In line with the book recommendations I have reduced my meat intake by a half, Pauline having the other half of my gammon steak. (Meat is one of the items which apparently encourages osteoporosis). After lunch we retrace our steps but include some step climbs instead of walks. Then it's back to the car and home. Pauline's leg will usually be in pain by the time we get back to the car but as soon as we arrive home, she will use the cream to ease things. The Sunday walk is as I described in my post to Eileen. Then Monday and Wednesday, I again visit the gym and spend around 90 minutes each day exercising my legs and hips in particular. I'm getting better at the two-legged jump and can manage quite a few repetitions before my legs tire. I also use the stepper on my favourite cross-trainer to get some additional stress on the bones and joints of my hips, back and joints. Managed around 50 on-off two legged jumps but had had enough of that then. Went on to use 2 x 8Kg weights to do some steps up and down. Along with an abductor, adductor, rotory knee, leg press and a couple of other weight exercies, the time went by fairly quickly and I was significantly warmer.

I took AA for 5 months from the beginning of Novemver until the beginning of April when I began getting serious reflux chest pains and also found out that my friend had serious aesophagal problems. That was the final decider.

I've come across strontium on this site but I don't know a lot about it. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the book index. There is a fair amount of information on the search sites - will have to leave that with you - time etc is short at the moment but will keep an eye out for it. I am now seriously progressing along my chosen path, albeit very slowly. I'm doing the various fruit things, I'm on decaff drinks, cut down the meat, taking the vitamins, zinc and calcium. I think that I have everything covered (famous last words). Keeping the stress level down and have social interactions with friends on a daily basis. Got the fire to light and the garden to sort out followed by some decorating. LOL

Bye for now

Regards

Colin.

• Posted

HiColin

Continuation of the last postbiggrin  It was pretty late when I read yours and I just thought I would say thanks for the name and mention the perch stool for the kitchen. That was it.  specific exercises although I've been sent to a physio who gave me some exercises but they seem to be doing more hrm than good so I've stopped.

My 2nd THR was delayed because there was such an argument.....its pain from your hip, no its referredpain from your back. I was sent back and forward from back specialist to hip specialist until they decided there was nothing they could do about my back but they could do a THR so eventually they did it. I read in one of your posts about abduction.

Thats what happened to me  weeks post op.......I was abducting my operated leg {as written in the book......do it for 6 weeks} and as Iabducted it thats when it cracked

I suppoe I need the crutches because of the fracture in my left leg {at the femur} which will never heal.

A radio officer.....interesting. Thats what Peter was before we got married....just did one trip after we got married. Radio officer in the Merchant Navy then he came ashore. He would be sent away to fit radios and radar equipment onto rigs, ships etc. Although he was ashore....he would suddenly ring from work to say he was going the next day to somewhere. Itd could be just to Scotland or it could be abroad. Wherever a radio needixing or fitting he had to go. Never knew when he would be back.....It was never very long....about a week or so usually but it was until the job was finished so could be longer.

Seaton Burn is still there {somewhere!!}

I think thats the end of this ramble......bit mixed up with doing it in two bits LOL

Love

Eileen

Hi Carrie

I do hope you get back to your volunteering soon.

I thoroughly enjoy it. I know I have booklets and talk to people and advise them but I'm afraid its "do as I say not as I do" things like telling them to pace themselves......just do a little bit then rest, then go back and do more etc etc. I'm the worse person for doing thatbiggrin If only I could follow my own advicecheesygrin

Take care

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

Thanks for the reply, I'm still recovering from the morning's exercise. I got a nice fire going (we still have a stone fronted coal fire (not very PC but incredible to sit in front of)), and it's quite soporific if you're already a little tired.it doesn't take much to cause an involuntary nap. I did manage to avaoid this although after lunch, there was an incredible temptation to let the eyelids droop. But, things to do, facts to find, books to read and a preview of my future to write. I mentioned to Pauline about the perching stool and apparently she tried one when she was looking after my ancient mother some years ago and unfortunately she couldn't get close enough to her work to manage satisfactorily, so at the moment, we'll give that a miss.

i'm also making a list of all the good things that I now eat and also a list of things to avoid as well as things to consider in the future as I continue to plough through the book. Some of it is a bit dry being intended as reference rather than something to read in-line so thes bits don't get as much attention as the rest. Unfortunately, when I get to the end, I have several other book to digest and this one to re-appraise in some areas. It does keep me busy and fairly alert. I don't have any problems sleeping nowadays!

Quite a co-incidence that your man Peter was a Radio Officer as well.  Most of my time was spent deep-sea on the Houlder-Bros meat boats and also with Royal Dutch Shell on the white oil tankers. Only spent four years doing that and then Pauline and I became deeply romantically involved and got married in 1968 after I'd quit the sea in 1967. When these things are put on paper, it really seems an age ago but we both remember it all just like yesterday.

I think that I've switched to super-ramble mode so it's probably time that I gave up and got on with something productive.

I really enjoy an appreciative audience (lol).

Teke care and look after your bones.

Kindest Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Wow Colin, I am so impressed by all that exercise!  And the weights.  That is something I do have to work up to with my arms, improving weights, but as I am still trying to get my left wrist working properly (the soft tissue has sort of cemented and it is very hard to try and 'unglue' it and get the hand working properly) all I can do is keep working away at it. smile

​I had no idea that meat was something that could bring on osteoporis sad I love my protein, and really enjoy my meat, not being a great lover of fish, but I guess everything in small doses and it is a question of balance with it all. 

​I will research the strontium for sure, but for now, will try it the 'natural' way, trying to improve my exercise and giving my bones some weight bearing. 

​Just off to try and plants some plants in the garden - and get some more vitamin D into me smile lol  Your walks round your area sounds lovely, you are very lucky to have such lovely scenery in walking distance smile

Take care! 

​Kind Regads Carrie

• Posted

Hello Carrie,

Thanks for replying,

I sent you a private message about a strontium pdf earlier. If you have problems I can email it to you if you wish.

The meat bit needs some clarification. Apparently excess protein actually washes calcium out of the body. The recommrnded daily amount for women is 44 grams and 56 grams for men. One 113 gram (4 ounces) serving of meat can yield 35 grams of protein and each serving of dairy can add 10 grams of protein. I dread to think what my enormous gammon steak used to do for my protein balance. So the protein doesn't directly cause osteoporosis it just paves the way and possibly exacerbates (like that word) a poor situation. Fish isn't everyones choice but tinned salmon or sardines with the bones in are both real good sources of easily absorbable calcium. I'm going to have a look at avocado as a replacement for some meat - just hope that I find them palateable. You are right about the balance and apparently the correct balance is tending towards the alkaline foods but we do need some of the acidic foods as well. Apple skin contains a chemical (can't recall the name) which is really good at helping to build bone. It'll come to mind soon. Dried prunes (I love the sticky ones) are also very good and six a day is the recommended consumption (before my cereal).

Where I live is only a short distance both from the seaside and also the rural countryside but our house is high enough so that the town sounds barely reach us. This of course reduces the stress and this also reduces the likelihood of progressive osteoporosis.

I am trying to maximise the good things and minimise the bad things. The caffeinated coffee was a sad loss but I'm adjusting.

I feel that I'm burbling on again as I do so I'll desist for the moment. One bit of pure nosiness, would you mind telling me in which area you live.

Got the grass cut & some wood chopped.

More exercises tomorrow.

All the Best

regards & good luck

Colin.

• Posted

Hello Eileen,

It's a good job that you enjoy your volunteering else how could you know how well you were pacing yourself? Seriously though, there is a great deal of satisfaction from helping anyone who needs it. I thrive on it and it's going to help me beat this affliction by keeping down my blood pressure and stress. I'm slowly getting used to the new regime/lifestyle and actually seemed to have more energy today which is quite unusual although I have noticed that after the exercises are done I am actually warm which never happened before. Maybe I've discovered the on/off switch after all these years.

Going to get an avocado and see what it's like because it has a lot of good properties relevant to our predicament, particularly Boron. The body requires boron for proper metabolism and utilization of various bone-building factors including calcium, magnesium, vitamin D, estrogen, and perhaps testosterone. I haven't a clue what you do with an avocado so there's another learning curve to climb (more exercise???)

It really is incredibly surprising that there isn't a technological fix for your broken bones. It seems that the NHS needs a few systems engineers who are familiar with mixed mediums and have the ability to manufacture and fit custom parts suitable for fixing bone problems. I bet that it's due to money shortages again! I shall be calm and not express my feelings for those who so badly control our futures.

It's time that I caught up with some of my outstanding voluntary tasks. That would be another stress reduction exercise. I think that I'd rather watch Deep Space 9! That would be even more effective!

Take Care

All the best

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

Your fire sounds great....especially in the winter.

It is  coincidence that he was in the Merchant Navy as well.....another coincedence is he worked four Houlder Bros as wellwink

Also a bit like you he was there for about 4 years then we got married and he did one trip after that and came ashore.

We didnt get married until '77 This was my 2nd marriage. I was previously married in 1968.

It is a long time   LOL

Sorry I've not answered fpr a while but my computer went KAPUT.....its OK this morning hope it stays that way. I'll be away at lunch time.......Gpt a Rota meeting.....thats to organise Arthritis Care for the next 4 months

Where are we going for trips, who are we having for entertainment on a Mon night etc.

Hope this gets through.....the computer still seems a bit "iffy"

I think I've another message from you that I will try to answer

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Colin

Or NOT pacing myself cheesygrin

I'm getting back into the swing of things again.....volunteering, going out etc. and as you say you get a lot of satisfaction in helping people

Today isnt helping people as such......its a Rota meeting to sort out where we are going for the next 4 months with A. Care, what entertainment we are having on the first Mon of a month {for the next 4 months} I then have a meeting onThursday.....but thats a committee meeting for arthritis care. I'll know better after today when I'm next volunteering next.

Let me know about the avocado  LOL

Oh yes......remember I went for an x ray on my knee? Hospital told me to get in touch with the GP in a week or 10 days.

I left it for 4  days and rangbiggrin...guess what...they had the results.

The receptionist sid I had to come and see the GP about that. Normally its 1 to 2 weeks for an appointment but she discovered she had an appt yesterday {the day I rang} so went along in the afternoon......guess what? Arthritis!!!!!

So arthritis in my neck, lower back, this fractured greater trochanter bone which has put me on crutches and now the knees are joining in the party. Left ankle as well. Kypho scoliosis, Osteoporosis,  I dont know what else.!!!!!

Did you say in one of your posts that Pauline had been offered an injection......cant remember what you said about it and cant find the post.

Thats all the GP is offereing me....cortisone injection......and physio

I'm going for physio tomorrow and the injection will be about a couple of weeks before I get the appointment.

I think I'll take the chance and try it.

Well itrs 7.30am so better move

Hear you later

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Colin,

Yes I did get the pdf, thank you smile

​I also read something else about meat.....I don't have a large appetite, so hopefully am ok, though I have added eggs thinking they are good....especially as I need to put some weight on, being terribly underweight for my height.  I always understood that dairy and eggs and meat (protein) were good for one so surprised to now understand this.  EEk.  Even more of a balance needed!  Yes it was either from your good self or I read it somewhere so am now trying to eat more apples! smile  I can't stand prunes so that will be a no! lol  But I am eating pilchards - I know they are not as good as sardines and mackerel but I'm building up to them as really not keen but thinking i ought to try them again!!  Wish I liked fish more! lol

​I live in Bristol so quite a drive to the 'sea' either at Weston Super Mare, where actually it is hard to see the sea as it is normally so far out!  Portishead is bit closer but obviously still not 'sea'.  You are very lucky to have such beautiful area to walk in.  I am increasing my walking, not easy with M.E./Fibro/Arthritis too, but trying!  Still can't quite drive yet since the 'broken wrists' as the handbrake is a little beyond my strength yet, but I am hopefully headed in the right direction.  I suffer with asthma too....so the added diagnosis of osteoporis on top of everything else makes me think 'REALLY???' as it is one thing after another !  But....there is alway someone worse off, so have to be as positive and optimistic as possible. smile    So like you.....maximise the good and minimise the bad.

​Tell me, coffee bad???  I love my 2 mugs in the morning and would feel very sad at losing that! lol  And what about tea?

Please burble as much as you like....like Eileen, quite happy to chat smile  It is only by talking that we are able to share information and learn smile

​Good on you with the grass and wood and all the exercise....I am in awe of your energy. 

​Hope you enjoyed the sunshine today....been really lovely...managed to get some gardening done which i count as exercises as it is better than just sitting smile

​Kind Regards Carrie

• Posted

Hello Eileen (& Carrie if you're following)

Sad to hear that you've got more arthritis in your knee. The injection that Pauline is having is a cortisone one and she had one some years ago and it worked well for quite a long time, so heres hoping.

Today was full pack of exercises day. I hope that this isn't a too sensitive subject but much of my recovery program is going to be based around a variety of exercises and weight training along with some food changes. Anyway, I went back on the calcium this morning after five days off to see if it would improve the vertigo. It didn't do anything so I'll carry on with it and the vertigo just reducing gradually with an end point somewhere in the future.  I was up at the gym shortly after 9 oclock and spent 15 mins on a cross-trainer (with two 1 min breaks at 5 and 10 mins) It felt alright and I was nicely warmed up for the stepper part of the cross-trainer. Did five minutes at level 10 and was still going strong when I stopped. Did a bit of jaw exercising and then went on to adductor followed by the abductor (Thigh muscles opening and closing legs). Then came the two-legged jumps - managed fifty onto the step and off again in spite of the comments from so-called friends, followed by a bit of marching up and down the gym with two 12kg weights. There was more in a similar vein and I actually felt good after an hour and a half which included getting instructions on how to deal with an avocado. It seems that you have to be pretty quick or it goes black unless you have some citrus fruit juice. I had mine with some tomato & chilli sauce and found it very palatable. It seems that avocado has the highest boron content of any of the vegetables/fruits mentioned in the book although the prunes don't come out of it too badly. I found another website which is pushing a program similar to what I'm following. The only difference is that it is commercial and costs-a-lot. If you want to know about it, message me, it is american. One of their basic tenets is that OP os not a disease but an imbalance. Sounds very like the book.

Not impressed but the discussion is really anti big pharma.

There is a derth of information on arthritis. Pain-Killers and injections or replace bits. I did a bit of searching for strontiun and found some interesting PDF files but I still feel that I must give my decision a chance to bear fruit so I'm sticking with it. It makes me feel good as well, every time I prove another step! Still reading avidly and am half-way through and learning. How do you cope with your problems, mine are really miniscule and yet I can talk for hours about me. And as usual, my share of burbling has passed its sell-by.

While I remember, Peter may be interested, I was on the Hardwicke Grange, May 1963 to December 1963, running from The Thames to Buenos Aires.

Bye for now

Can't understand why I'm not aching.

Kind regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Carrie

I actually sent a newsletter to you and Eileen but the moderators have picke it up. Probably something to do with a website that made some inappropriate comments which I passed on. I should have known better.

I had a really good day at the gym and covered the program that I had mapped out and also got an avocado and instructions and ate it with tomato and chilli sauce.  Best source of boron which is another of those 'needed' chemicals. In foods is the safest way to take it.

I'l leave the rest for now and see if the moderators pass the post.  If they don't, I'll try and remember what I wrote. Probably mostly burbling.

Bye for now

Regards

Colin.

(It's our bed-time & the cat's wingeing!)

• Posted

Hi Colin

So you have one of those cats as well   biggrin  Not only at night but jumps on you in the morningbiggrin

It will be interesting to see if the mods let your post through.

OK......another complaint from me. Got my X Ray results {from ONE knee} got arthritis in that as well. The other knee is just as bad but for some reason the GP didnt aswk for an X Ray for that one?????

So I'm sitting here in agony. Been to an AGM, 2 hours, and quite comfos but when I tried to get up it took ages.  Dont know how Pauline walks so far unless this is a flare up.

I've got an appointment with the physio tomorrow morning so we'll see if she has any ideas....all the GP said was buy some ice cold gel.

I'll stop moaning and leave you in peace.

Hear you soon

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​It seems quite random with the moderators....a few messages ago I got told my message had been sent to them and it was only when you responded i realised it had obviously passed!  I didn't even attach anything I thought was untoward!

​Glad you had a good day at the gym...and managed an avocado smile  Hm....something I ought to try again obviously if it is so good for one.  I think I take boron in another of my vitamins but need to check.

- sorry the cat was whingeing! lol :D

Bye for now

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Well, the post got posted unaltered (or at least I couldn't detect any alterations.

Hi Eileen & Carrie,

Our cat is a little ginger moggie around seventeen years old and was originally obtained as a friend for a siamese cross who was lonely. She was only a kitten then and not expected to survive five years but the Tom siamese cross, Snowball, took her under his paw and looked after her every need. Both cats were neutered but sometimes it was difficult to believe and the little ginger Sunshine was an incredible slut on occasion. Unfortunately, Snowball had stroke problems and had to be put down last year but the little ray of Sunshine goes on and is actually flourishing (probably wrong word) and talks non-stop sometimes, especially when she wants fussing or feeding. She too has arthritic hips and her rear legs are a bit wobbly but she doesn't complain that I've noticed Ican speak pidgeon-cat now.

Been reading the book again and came across an unreferenced bit that I'm not certain is correct. It deals with males who had a vasectomy and it is suggested that this will increase the likelihood of osteoporosis. I think that this requires some validation and since there are no references this could be a real research problem. I'll add it to the list.

No aches or pains this morning and only slight vertigo when I stood up too quickly after despatching a dandelion. Indeed I haven't felt so good for quite some time. It must be the sunshine (and I don't mean the cat!).

Carrie, the places that you mentioned in your post were familiar, particularly Portishead which for many years was the main UK radiocommunications centre that both Peter and I would use when passing radio-telegraph messages betwwen the ships and shore. I was at the forefront of data comms with data logging equipment and had to communicate direct to the UK from places like Honolulu. Today that's not a problem, but in the 1960s, there were no satellite coms and it was all down to the skill of the Radio Officer (clever dickies). My daughter did her work experience in Bristol, training to be a lawyer and we were down there fairly regularly. Not for the last twenty years though.

Now, I've had my daily apple and dried prunes, cereal with raisins and nuts for breakfast with calcium fortified rice milk and decaff coffee (getting used to that). Pills after coffee.  Smoked mackeral for lunch with corn-cakes and a mini-aspirin (left over from the minor cardiac incident).

Time to go and chop some wood and sort out a few more weeds. I also have to move some of my books so that the weekly vacuuming can proceed. Pauline was talking about borrowing my daughter's stick until she has the injection. Apparently the pain in her knee is increasing daily in spite of the cream. I feel a bit helpless about this but do try to help more with things around the house.

Best wishes to you both and thanks for tolerating my burbling.

Take care

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin and Eileen,

​Yes I am following just takes me a little time to respond.

​Well done on the exercise programme Colin, you are doing so well.  It is unfortunate that with my Fibro/M.E. and arthritis it is harder as my muscles hurt very easily, but it is something I need to gradually improve on if I can.

​Eileen, I do hope your arthritis pain eases....mine is very much affected by air pressure, which does seem to affect a number of illnesses including asthma.  I also find my joints need to 'get mobile' first thing in the morning having seized up overnight, especially the left wrist which was operated on and had pins to keep the bones in place.  Apart from painkillers, the magnesium, and movement, I also take gelatin capsules and or jelly which is apparently very good for the soft tissue and strengthens it....ppl's grannies used to eat a cube of jelly a day to 'oil their joints' so to speak!  May be worth a try ??

​Good luck.

​Bye for now, kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​How interesting you know Bristol so well....and that your daughter did her work experience here smile  I expect both Bristol and Portishead have changed a bit over the last 20 years!!  The old swimming pool has been completely redone at Portishead and supposed to be quite nice now!  The area itself has had quite a bit of housing added; but it is still quite lovely smile

​Your cats sound sweet.....i would like to get a pet when my youngest nephew is not allergie to animal fur...bless him he has coeliac disease as well as lots of allergies and is also a type one diabetic which has been a learning curve.

​I too have added apples to my diet....!  Must look into more but stuff but still can't bring myself to try prunes!! lol

​Does your wife like jelly, i just mentioned in another post about the benefits of gelatin to help soft tissue and i take gelatin capsules as well as eating jelly when i can.  Might help!

​bye for now...need to get a walk in smile  Kind Regards Carrie

• Posted

Eileen,

​So sorry to hear you are in so much pain, just horrible sad  I wonder why the GP didn't order xrays on both knees, seems strange.  Wonder if it has something to do with the change in weather?  My arthritis flares when the air pressure changes.  I wish there was an easy answer with arthritis....i take the natural gelatin capsules which may or may not help.  A friend has also told me about turmeric which is a natural pain healer so I am looking into that as she reckons it has definately helped her pain.  You can get turmeric capsules.  Only thing with all this natural stuff....it costs so much!  Good luck, kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi Carrie

It's weird that he didnt request an X Ray for both knees.

It could be the weather. I know that damp and cold wether affect the rest of my arthritis but the knees are such a new thing....I've heard tumeric helps also capsican {spelling}? peppers

Once I get my head around it I'll be more positive again

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning Carrie and Eileen. I do hope that your pains have subsided a little. Yesterdays beautiful sunshine worked wonders on my general demeaner but did nothing for Pauline's knee. She's going for a short walk soon to try and loosen things up. She gets her injection on monday so heres hoping that it works again.

The active ingredient in appleskins is quercetin and it's supposed to be goodis as powerful antioxidant, a natural anti-histamine and anti-inflammatory, but can't find a reference to OP other than the book.

I've got a good breakfast sorted - Oats, puffed rice, ground mixed nuts, Raisins, blueberries and rice milk. That's after six sticky dried prunes and followed up with a chewy calcium tablet and various vitamins and capsules. If you pick me up and shake me I'll rattle.

Gym time now - I'll be back after lunch maybe.

Bye for now

Kind regards and best wishes

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin,

I do hope Pauline's knee improves a bit....pain is so debhilitating. 

​Quercetin....gosh....you know I wonder whether the old saying 'an apple a day keeps the Dr away' arose from that? smile  I have certainly added them to my diet!

Enjoy your day and don't overdo the gym smile 

By the by, since trying to do the jumping my ankles and feet hurt more....can't decide whether that is OP related or Fibro/M.E. related....guess time will tell huh.

Kind Regards Carrie

• Posted

I've finally got back home to my laptop so not fiddling with a temperamental small tablet.  Interested to read about jumping.  That count of fifty, a break and another fifty, must surely be what one works up to?  I read many many years ago that one could get out of bed in the morning and jump ten times and that was supposed to be very helpful, can't remember now what the context was.  It was about 40 years ago, maybe even longer.  I don't remember actually doing it!  At my age now with arthritis in some vertebrae I wouldn't jump more than a couple of times. Have trouble running much because my back hurts when I run for more than a few minutes at a time.  Can do "scouts pace" to get places in a hurry. It's a real balance, in more ways than one, to get sufficient impact to encourage the bones to get stronger, and yet avoid injury.
    • Posted

So very true about trying to balance all our myriad of health problems.  I have M.E./Fibromyalgia as well as osteo-arthritis and now OP so am very conscious that I can't suddenly do any form of exercise without bulding up to it!  Never heard the old saying of jump ten times on getting out of bed......considering how stiff I am in the morning think that would be a minor miracle for me! lol :D

​Computers et al are so temparmental, so feel for you!

​Hope this wet weather doesn't affect your joints too much, must be so painful with a painful back too sad  Stay in touch!

​Kind Regards Carrie  

• Posted

Anhaga and Carrie, regarding the jumping, I have to admit that I've been attending a gym three times a week for the last eight years and I already was into some weight-bearing and bone-building exercises before I came off the AA. I suppose that I have had a lot of luck in getting diagnosed early and not being plagued by arthritis which seems to be the bane of many ladies. There is little to stop me from persuing goals such as 50 jumps and it causes much amusement at the gym. Even just walking up and down the gym with a couple of 12kg weights gave rise to jocularity this morning. I don't care, if it makes people smile then their day is brightened and I feel good anyway. Just hoping that it works after all this. Time for my afternoon apple.

Bye for now

Jumping Jack (Aristotle/Colin)

• Posted

Hi to everyone

A lot seem to be happening since I was last on......it wasnt that long ago

lol I hope Pauline's knees have eased off a bit now.

I got a letter this morning from the X Ray department..I've got an appointment 7th May....2 weeks from tomorrow for AN Ultra Sound guided injection in my left knee.

Says it will take about 40 minutes. That must have gone from the GP to the hospital...doesnt say......dont even know what the injection is. I've had plenty of guided things!!! My colonoscopy was guided other injectios that have been like that {not in my knee} I'll have to ask when I go...I'm guessing a cortisone.

What are Paulines injections and how often does she get them

You've probably told me before but cant remember....must be old agebiggrin

Carrie be careful with the jumping because you have OA havent you...it should be low impact exercises for us  ...

Take care

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen

It's so sad that you put in all that work for the osteoarthritis charity and yet you are left in pain and little chance of relief until you get your injection, and then only limited relief.

I do think that with such a nasty affliction as is OA, there ought to have been massive injections of research cash which ultimately would save the NHS a fortune.

I'll let you know how Pauline gets on on Monday. She's just gone to spread some cream on her left knee. It's painful after today's walk which she refuses to give up, seeing that as the end of her freedom. So she grimaces and bears it. I do feel helpless since it seems there is nothing that I can do for her.

You'll probably have gathered that I had a good morning at the gym and felt quite animated when I came away having spent half an hour chatting to a friend who is recovering from breast cancer and has the most positive attitude I've ever come across. She intends to enjoy life as long as she can. Some of that rubbed off along the way and my session went by very quickly. Had guacamole & corncakes for evening meal. (I dare say that you know that guacamole is made with avocado and chillies and was very nice as well as being one of the foods that should help with OP.

I'm being winged at by a hungry moggie again. I don't know why she always comes to me - maybe she thinks that I'm a soft touch.

Best Wishes and hope the pain gets better

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Eileen, cat's feeding/troughing so I'll finish off. I think that we crossed in the ether or something. Pauline has only had one injection previously and that lasted several years so she's hoping that his one will be as good.

You're right about the jumping - it does work but you have to be able to do them safely. It's all very well me quoting the book and what I get up to but I'm quite tough and fairly short so that it's not a big deal for me. The first jumps were difficult but then I got a rhythm going and was really able to clock them up. The friday walk was good and so was the lunch (only half the meat I used to have). Still more effort needed there.

There is of course one aspect of all this that I can't avoid and that is that I shall be doing this for the rest of my life which I intend to be long!

Would you believe that I've run out of steam! There's obviously something wrong.

Take great care

Back again when I've recharged the batteries.

Bye, Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin/Jumping Jack/Artistotle!

​:D who care as long as it is helping you smile  Yes you are lucky ...arthritis does tend to make things more difficult, as does other stuff like Fibromyalgia....but we are all different and do what works for us smile

Bye for now

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Ahhh....so jumping wouldn't be good for osteoarthritis?  No wonder my ankles hurt!  So hard trying to balance all our different problems....what we do good for one thing, hurts another....ahh well, I'm sure at some point I will hit on the right exercise smile 

Good luck with your injection i really hope it helps.

Take care and have a good weekend smile

​Kind Regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Eileen and Colin,

My posts/responses keep crossing so apologies.

​Yea I think the jumping although a good idea may not be the best for me....unless I am having a better day or something...certainly my feet and ankles hurt a bit and I didn't even do 10 jumps! lol  I do enjoy dancing and walking so may have to stick with that for now....gradually building up to other stuff as and when health allows.

The book has come Colin, so I will start reading that with great interest smile

​I am seeing my GP next Tue to make sure that I am on the right course for ME, with everything else being taken into consideration and whether I should be referred to a Rheumatologist or not....however I am still determined to follow the healthier more natural way into the bargain as I can't help feeling that that is the best way forward, i just want to cover all bases.  Have a good weekend both of you and I hope Pauline's knee improves a bit, arthritis is so painful and this wet damp weather does not help matters.....my joints are definately playing up!

Kind Regards

Carrie

• Posted

Actually where I am today the weather has been superb, more like June than April.  And in Southern Ontario where I was for a week it was also sunny every single day - even the day they predicted rain!  As we left Nova Scotia in drizzle last week I'm pretty happy right now.  Getting lots of rays to make Vitamin D (but careful not to burn).  Time to listen to Bob Marley's Sun is Shining....  🌞  Cheers,  Jean
    • Posted

Hi Colin

Pauline is right.......its use it or lose it. I know what she means about that being the end of her freedom. Lots of people think like that.....Got arthritis so thats it....all I can do is sit in the house now which is rubbish.

I dont think I could walk as far as she does but at least I'm out and about.

Did you ever notice if people on TV are in a quiz .....I've never heard one of them playing for arthritis....cancer seems to be the thing they play for.

Never mind we'll copedbiggrin

Do let me know how she gets on.....I dont even know what sort of an injection I'm getting. I have had a cortisone injection before in my hip but that was in the consultants office. This is a guided imagery one but what the injection is it doesnt sayeek

You are doing well at the gym and all your exercises. Well done you.

Your eveningmeal sounds really nice

Moggies always go to "the hand that feeds them" and they know who is the softest touchlol Ours goes to Peter for food.....knows he's more likely to get up quicker and feed her

A lot of the time after the food is put out she goes and looks at it but then comes away. I think she just wants to know its there when she wants it

As for thge pain ...its bad at the minute but it always is .....7.15am I need to get up, {not dressed yet} sit on the computer, have a cuppa, and take some painkillers and give them about 20 mins or so to kick in. Then slowly get ready to face the day. Going to the Metro centre {do most Sats} Takiing the scooter today because I've a lot of things to buy and I cant carry them whith 2 crutches. I'll window shop and decide what I want because I cant buy things and then leave them on the scooter and cant carry bags if I want to go round shops.

That defeas the purpose of the scooter. Then I shall go to Starbucks....got a free coffee waiting for me there lol sit there enjoy that and read. Eventually before going home fly around and get all the things I've made a list of. Not sure about the afternoon....housework I suppose  ugghh!!

I take the scooter when I'm in there, park it outside a shop, and then go in and wander round the shop, or walk from shop to shop and then back to the scooter. I dont sit on the scooter all the time. I would be aching

Oh  well thats me.......was at some friends house last night and got home at midnight which is why I'm catching up now

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi again

I wonder what sort of injection she had....thats a fantastic length of time

to last....I've had ortisone in my hip and the first one lasted almost 5 month

and I thought that was great but the next one didnt work as well

I hope hers works as well and mine works like that too

Sorry about the jumping bit......that wasnt meant for you it was for Carrie

She has OA {you dont} thats the volunteer coming out in mecheesygrin

Telling people that when I'm at a stand

Hear you when you have re charged your batteries LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Yes its a pain isnt it.....osteoarthritis and asteopinia are a pain {literally} when it comes to things like exercises.OA say it must be LOW IMPACT exercises, walking rather than running, swimming is good, etrc.

OSPEOPINIA say  HIGH impact exercises are the way to go.....running, jumping, swimming isnt much good for that. TOO LOW IMPACT ....where do you go from there biggrin I've just been diagnosed with osteoporosis.....about 2 years ago......osteo arthritis well I was diagnosed with that about 18 years ago and am a volunteer for osteoarthritis so I'll stick to their exercises You cant do both because they are so conflicting

Have a good day

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

Yes we have had good weather for the past 3 or 4 days.....where are you Carrie that you are having rain? Its been sunny but cold at night. I was coming home from a friends last night and it was freezing. Its sunny this

morning but I havent got out get so dont know what the temp is.

Long may it continue

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie, Eileen & Anhaga,

I received a post from kathleen65757 (Australia) this morning and she was able to add to the list of good things we should be eating, which is ever expanding. She has found Kiwi Fruit on a list of things good for osteoporosis sufferers. I haven't any more details but it's only a matter of time and we'll have the RDA and more information.

Been doing a bit more tidying up in the garden and am actually clear of dandelions at the front. I've never tried these as salad leaves because as a youngster I seem to remember being told that they made you wet the bed. You just don't get past some things! (There's also that you never who or what has been marking them).

Eileen, I'm sure that right about the cat and who it turns to when it wants something. I just had another example of that when she was meowing to go through into the back to use her tray. Which muggins did she sit in front of and point the frantic noise at!

It's been nice today, grocery shopping this morning, then soup and finish the guacamole with corncakes for lunch. I must check the soup ingredients - fresh from the supermarket. Nice and sunny outside but still fairly cold, wind straight from the north pole, had a jacket on while gardening. No evidence of any illness or problem and still feeling good. Pauline has had her second application of cream and hopefully will be fit enough to do the five mile walk in two halves tomorrow. It has become more of a stroll than a walk. When we first started this routine, we were passing most of the other walkers, now it's the other way way round. This is our entertainments.

Well back to the reading - one of these days I'll get to the end and have to begin again to find all the bits that I missed

Rambling detector has just pinged my brain. Nothing else of any significance to impart. Hope that you are all alright and not in too much pain. Take it easy with the jumping and exercise.

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Oh lovely smile  Been a chill wind here, but nice when the sun comes out...so get out when I can to grab some Vitamin D! All the best smile Carrie
    • Posted

Hi Eileen,

​To start with...thanks about the jumps!  Yea i get carried away with an idea but my ankles are complaining so just been walking and dancing a bit round the living room for exercise! :D lol

​You are so right....it IS a pain sad  Very debilitating.....such a good idea for you to get a scooter and I hope you had a good wander round the shops smile  I know swimming is good....I'm afraid not something I am overly good at or enjoy unless I am sitting by a pool in a hot place and want to get in then! lol  Walking I know is good as is dancing....so maybe I will stick to that and bit of gardening...build up to anything else...especially when my ankles are playing up for now.  Good comment about the conflicting exercises....so confusing sad  What you do to help yourself one way is bad another....all we can do is try and balance it all as best we can I guess.  I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis nearly 20 years ago, but only in hands/wrists/elbows.....I have a feeling it has spread to other parts of me now and am going to see the GP to see about being referred to a rheumatalogist....think that is right person to see?!.....just to double check on things and work out best way.  I still want to try and do the natural thing, like Colin, if I am able.  I am on HRT so as I understand from the NOS that is a good thing and might well protect me a little bit for now.  Here's hoping! 

​BTW totally agree with what you said to Colin about no ppl on TV saying they're doing it for arthritis or osteoporisis....we are poorly represented! Wonderful you volunteer for osteoarthritis....I volunteer for the PDSA at the moment....well have done for the last 6 years.....but I wonder if there is a local osteo arthritis place to me, I must google and find out smile

​Hope your day went ok and you were able to get some sun....the wind was chill today but I was able to get out into the garden for a bit smile

​Take care, love Carrie

• Posted

Re OA, I started taking glucosamine for OA (not with chondroitin as I was suspicious of the source as mad cow disease was in the news back then).  Have used it ever since, usually in a couple of doses a day adding up to 2000 mg or whatever the unit is.  I feel that my OA has progressed very little in the nearly 30 years since then.  
    • Posted

Hi Colin,

​Oh good on you finding out from Kathleen about kiwi fruit....must add those to my shopping list smile

​I am in awe of all your exercises etc, well done you smile  I haven't started 'the book' (!) yet but hope too soon...but will probably have to be careful with the exercising due to my arthritis, as Eileen says, low impact better ....so trying to find a good balance with it all, just not easy.  No, I haven't tried dandelions either....and yes I heard the same thing re wetting the bed!  I think you can get dandelion tablets or something if needed...but I never have problems! lol  Nice to get into the garden...I did today too smile  Good exercise and strengthening....my poor left wrist is still not working properly even though I am following the physio exercises, so anything i can do to help myself in the garden or wherever has to be a plus smile  My left wrist had pins put in after I broke both last December, and the soft tissues in the wrist are still being stubborn sad  I hope the cream helps Pauline, so painful for her sad  has she tried turmeric ?  It is supposed to be a fab pain reliever...I am going to get some but haven't got round to it yet....apparently you can make like a paste or something with it and pop it on the skin which is supposed to help.  Again, not tried it myself yet.  Worth googling though smile

Ooh and well done on your walking smile

​Right going to chill for a bit this eve now smile  Feel quite tired!  Take care, and let's hope the sun shines tomorrow for more walking eh smile lol

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi,

I tried glucosomine some years ago and didn't find it helped me but I am really glad it helps you smile 

I have just mentioned to Eileen and Colin about turmeric, might be worth googling, a friend told me that she takes it for her arthritis and it really helps her pain so I want to get some!  Have a good evening smile

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

I would have said the same.  It doesn't have obvious effects.  But over the long term, something has prevented any serious deterioration.....
    • Posted

Interesting.....maybe I should give it another go.  Thank you smile  xxx
    • Posted

Anhaga, Carrie & Eileen

Got the blurb on Kiwi-Fruits but can't post it here so if you want a copy I can either send you the link or the text file with it in. It's actually quite a remarkable fruit.

Let me know if would like it - send me a message.

Had a Kiwi-fruit - very nice too. I've never had so much fruit!

Thanks for the info on turmeric, will look it up and see what we can do.

The exercise thing is largely a case of do what you can within your own limits. If you can then increase it gradually all the better and if you can't, doing what you can will be helpful.

I hadn't noticed the lack of sponsoring for OA until it was pointed out. It does seem more than a little unfair especially since it is a very common affliction. I have minor bits of OA in finger joints but I'm lucky in that I have no pain, just a slight deviation and a slightly swollen joint. I shall take every opportunity to publicise the case for support. I don't have a lot of pull but I'll do my best. There may even be a centre in Scarborough, just never thought of looking for one.

Best wishes to you all

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Sorry its force of habit.....being a volunteer....I tell people all the time about  exercise that its necessary but not high impact. I should take my own advicerolleyes I havent managed to fit in any exercises today. I'm supposed to be exercising because of this fracture in my hip bone that happened 4 weeks post op. The muscles in the top of that leg are getting untoned thats not the word but hope you can find a better word LOL

As for the scooter.......this is a new thing the knee arthritis . Normally I would drive to the Metro in my car and hire a scooter on a Sat because I burt a few bits and pieces and its not easy on 2 crutches. Today I was so sore I wasnt sure that I could drive properly so asked Peter would be drop me off with my own scooter when he was going to town. Never noticed before how short my scooter is so my knees where bent back {sort of under the seat} so I had to keep getting off and doing a lot ofwalking which I didnt feel like today

I know swimming is good for you but I dont do it either lol I find that  after I've been in for a while and feelgood I then get out and by the time I struggle to get dressed etc I'm shattered so the good work hasw all been undone.  If you type in https://www.arthritiscare.org.uk/ it should come up and if you look thrtell you if there is a branch in your area if it doesnt there is a helpline there. Ring them and they will soon tell you.....helpful

You wont get them until Mon now They are volunteers as well and dont work/end

Well it ws sunny here but a bit chilly and now 10pm if is really cold.

Dont know what tomorrow

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi

I answered your post but it has been taken by the mods....it will be interesting to see if it gets put back. It might be because I mentioned a

website???Lets see.....just to let youknowyou

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Eileen, Carrie & Anhaga

I've sent you my link anyway, ignore it if you're not needing it. I believe that the referral of posts to the mods is software controlled and automatic when a website url is detected. It is a commercial website and it is seen as unfair for posters to be seen to be broadcasting other site details without paying advertising fees. Not too unreasonable considering that they still permit us to send items in private messages.

We are just getting ready for our Sunday morning soujourn (maybe I should have said walk).  I've got to pet the cat and send a couple more messages first and then get out before the sleet starts again. Had the prunes & the calcium and now on to the Vits etc It'll be fish of some sort, baked jacket & salad for lunch, nothing special but we enjoy the meal and each other's company. Having problems with cat hairs sticking to everthing - seems that she's in full moult at the moment and I'm not sure how she attaches all the static!

As Arnie says "I'll be back"

Bye for now

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Well, we're home again, a bit windswept and battered by hailstones but we had a good walk and Pauline's leg held up very well. It began to rain just as we set off and we missed out one of the parks completely just to avoid the driving wind.. Eventually we got to sea-wall level and completed the trip to the fish-pier where we have lunch. It was very quiet in terms of people. We usually encounter hundreds of dog walkers but there were hardly any today. Too cold and windy for any except those made of sterner stuff  (lol). Anyway, the weather abated and we made it round the 'Royal Albert/Marine Drive' with just cold hands and face. Lunch was as predicted with the fish for me being cold hot-smoked salmon and Pauline's being tuna. The salmon was really good and the hot-chili sauce went perfectly. Unfortunately the fish had been very well filletted and all the bones were gone so there was little calcium addition. Maybe the smoking doesn't turn the bones soft and chewy like in the canned fish. So much to find out about and remember. The walk back to the car involved a very steep climb from the beach to the top of the cliffs on which the castle is built; quite a climb but going uphill doesn't bother Pauline's knee so we made it alright and then back to car, another mile & a half further on. Bought some more larger kiwifruits on the way home and one of those will form part of tea. Fire lit, cat fussed, decaff coffee made and computer on. Now going to read some more posts and some more Book. Have deduced that I can easily make my own stepper/jumping base using some oak sleepers that I was given years ago. I knew that they would come in handy someday! That means that I can do my jumping or stepping daily instead of just when I go to the gym (tomorrow, wed & fri). I wonder how long it will be before I get fed up of it. I hope never, since my future is dependent upon my keeping faith with my body. Quite well psyched up about this so I'm quietly confident. Besides, after all that I've said, wouldn't I look a right twit if I failed through not trying!

Burble mode alarm again. I'll go and do some reading!

Bye for now

Regards to all

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​Yes please re the kiwi - all information useful, so thank you.  I have seen a later message which I haven't caught up with yet, will try and do so later as got the family here smile  Must admit never been keen on them in the past coz of the seeds/pips....but hey maybe I should give them another go! 

​You're welcome with the turmeric, I am planning on getting some to try smile

I think it will have to be a build up of exercise from my point of view, with the Fibro/M.E. too it is a question of doing what I can when I can.  But I know I DO have to increase movement!

​Enjoy the rest of your Sunday smile

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Thanks for letting me know Eileen, I have a few messages to check so will see!  love Carrie
    • Posted

Hi Colin,

Thanks smile  I think you may be right with regard to the mods.

​Ugh re sleet.....been nice here wink   Well, bit chilly, but have had the sun out smile  Hope you got out before the weather turned.  Well done on the prunes, calcium, fish etc....you are much more disciplined than me!!  I am trying though...think I said I got some sardines in tomato sauce, i just can't face the oil sad  Makes me nauseaus sad

Good luck with the cat hairs....no magic answer there!

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​wow well done on that smile  Sounds like a good scenic walk, followed by a tasty lunch and I'm glad Pauline managed ok.  Hopefully the walking will may gradually help the arthritis albeit in just keeping moving ?  I remember my Mum telling me that the best thing for arthritis was 'one finger one thumb, keep moving' as she suffered terribly in her hands.  So gentle movement has always been my motto, unless other ailments kick in and prevent it.

​Your jumper/stepper sounds inventive too smile  Keep us posted, as you do indeed sound so positive, it kind of help to motivate me in keeping going with my own diet and exercise smile

Have a good eve.

​kind regards Carrie

• Posted

Hi Carrie,

Thanks for the reply. I have just finished ordering a used copy of the book that accompanies the course that we talked about previously. The cost from the vendor is very high - around $70 dollars with carriage for hard copy and you don't actually get much idea of what it's about and it seems that you are paying for the inclusion of a lot of freebies that aren't really free. So, since I got a £10.00 voucher for my recent birthday, and since there was one used copy of this book in good condition for £20.00 including carriage and since I want to know more than is necessary, I thought 'What the heck" and bought it from a well known book vendor. I may need all the help I can get so I'm covering as many bases as I can. You never know, there may be shortcuts in it that could be useful to people who are not very mobile and you know how I like sharing knowledge. Who was it who said "Knowledge is Power" - I don't think that it was me. You'll probably have gathered that my motivation is at least partially tied in to being able to discuss and debate what is happening, or at least to rabbit on about things a bit. I don't know of anyone locally and anyway, there are some very good Forum members who will check what I write and tell me if I've got anything wrong.

Tomorrow is Pauline's injection day so we're both keeping everything crossed. The previous injection worked very quickly so we're hoping that this will be the same. I'll drop her off at the surgery on my way to the gym and it will all be over by the time that I get home.

Eileen's post hasn't been released yet, maybe they're waiting for the Monday team to arrive. It's a little annoying when they do that because I don't keep copies of what I typed, it's all original as I think of it, so if it gets deleted I have quite a job remembering what I had thought about.

Quite looking forward to tomorrow morning - I tend to set myself targets and it's quite gratifying if I can achieve or exceed what I set out to do. The converse is also true but it does make me try harder next time.

Hope that you found the Kiwifruit info as interesting as I did. It seems like a wonder fruit and I can't understand why it is pushed so little.

Got a couple more badges and another upgrade but I think that things will ease off now that I've reduced my searching although I've been looking at the arthritis forums. I found them a little upsetting.

Going to drop a line to Eileen now - I had a reply from Kathleen (Australia) earlier and all seems to be going well there.

Hope that you had a good day, my impression is that you are proceeding with caution but are making progress. (It's not really any of my business but I like to be optimistic)

Will let you know how Pauline gets on and I shall probably ramble as usual.

Kind Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hello Eileen'

I hope that you had a good day and were able to get out to your church. It's nice to meet and chat to other people - good for the soul.

If you read my post to Carrie, you will have gathered that we did our usual Sunday walk in the freezing wind and hail, but still managed to enjoy it. We see it as 'OUR' time and I rabbit on as we're walking just as I do in this forum. I've just found that I actually like Kiwifruit and even the seeds are good for you. Massive amounts of vitamin C so it's probably worth adding to our regular fruits anyway. For years, I never ate much fruit but now it looks as though it's going to be my saviour.

I'll let you all know how I get on, just hope that I don't get carried away too much - it helps me to get my thoughts together and I usually get useful and interesting replies.

I've posted a missive to Carrie earlier and most of my news is in there. Your post still hasn't been released but you never know, monday morning may be when the mods (sounds like the feds) sort out the posts from the weekend.  I'm learning to be a bit more cautious but it's against my nature.

Going to watch 'Home fires' now.

Take Care

Kind Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Thanks for kiwifruit link.  We eat it fairly regularly anyway but good to know it's even more nutritious than I realized.

Cheers,   Jean

• Posted

It seems like a real miracle fruit. I'm already hooked on it.

Cheers

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

I've just been catching up with all the posts and have read the posts between you and Carrie. Its very interesting.

As for your walk......i'm impressed {with Pauline} the length of walks she can do and the climbing.

Did I mention that when they sent me for an X Ray on my knee it was only one......I thought it would be both but she said thats all the GP had asked for so thats all she could do.  Fair enough

but since that the other knee {the right one} has got much worse....I'm in agony with it....No didnt get to church.....could hardly move.....I know and mostly do it......Use It or Lose it but this morning I couldnt.

This afternoon Peter said lets go for a coffee. so we drove to the door of Marks and Spencers and went in, had a coffee, he then went across the road to Tesco to get a few things and I stayed in M & S.......about 10 mins I walked around it and when I got home I couldnt move. the rest of the afternoon/evening I was like that.....just now that I've taken some pain killers is it easing a bit.

I'm going to ring the doctor tomorrow and tell him the other knee is much sorer could I have that one X Rayed and maybe the injection that I'm going to get at the beginning of May in that knee rather than the first one he had  X Rayed. I'm going to Venice 25th May. Dont know if you have been.....we've been 3 times and it is lovely but no transport. so that is me on 2 crutches   You talked about targets.....this was a goal I set myself about a year ago.....we both have birthdays in May so we would go to Venice but that was before my knees joined the partybiggrin You arent even allowed a mobility scooter. There are Vaporettas {boat bus} but they are the same as our buses....packed, taking people to work etc and you cant see anything....not like a tour or a short cruise. We have always gone and just wandered and you come across the most quaint shops or stalls.

My mobility was quite bad when I decided this but not as bad as it is now.

Sorry about the moan......gone off topic.

It's booked now so not much we can do about it......just pace myself when I get there. Oh yes...you dont cross roads...there aren't any!!!! you cross bridges al the time. I'll find those a challenge.

Peter is really fit and goes out walking at lest 3 times a week for about 3 hours or a bit more.  When we get there the nmorning is my worse time so I'm going to take myself to a hotel almost next door to our hotel, they have tables and chairs sitting there and the weather should be good and I will sit and "people watch" biggrin and Peter can go for a walk....not 3 hours!!!!lol then when he gets back we can go ambling around Venice and I should be less sore.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen, it's always nice to hear from friendly people. I think that you are aware of my views on much of the medical profession so I won't rant on about them. It's just a pity that they don't have to feel the pain themselves, they would soon be motivated to do something constructive about it. Unfortunately all I can offer is sysmpathy and maybe distraction. I got back from the gym a short while ago - had a really good session which just seems to get better each time I go. I think that I was much more creaky than I realised. One of the ladies who is on AA and had a broken femur a couple of years back, approached me for a chat whilst I was doing my two-legged jumping. It seems that she is not happy about AA and wanted to know about the alternatives. Unfortunately she is not very computer literate and didn't want pointing to this website but did listen to my own case (you know how I can chat about it) and is going to consider what she can do for herself. I mentioned all the good things that help to repair the bones and also mentioned the replacement cycle and what AA does. I like to think that I gave a fairly balanced view of the process and she was quite happy that we had talked about it. I see this lady on two out of my three weekly gym visits so she will almost certainly let me know of her own views after time to consider the position.

I managed all the tasks that I had set myself and I may have to up the ante a bit next week - can't have things getting too easy. This is where I could do with good professional advice but I haven't found anyone outside the forum that I actually trust to come up with an unbiased view of what I am attempting so will have to stick with the books, the forum and common sense (sometimes in short supply).

By now you should be distracted but just in case, I can ramble some more. I dropped Pauline off for her injection but I won't know how she got on until later this afternoon. I'll report the results as soon as I can after she tells me. I mentioned to her that you were interested and she assured me that she would take care noting what happened.

I do hope that your alternative leg injection plan works for you. A break as you have described sounds just the thing to help the mental side of what you must be going through. Don't worry about moaning, I do it all the time and I've developed quite a sympathetic ear for justified moaning and yours really does fit that category. Glad to hear that Peter is really fit and enjoys his walking. I guess that he's another Gibraltar - a rock to support you when you need it. (poor attempt at light-hearted humour). Running out of steam and need to get my lunch and light the fire cos it's cold here.

Best wishes and I really do hope that you can get an acceptable solution. I know what Pauline was like before her THR nearly nine years ago. (That's what started me at the gym - another memory triggered!)

Take care

Kindest regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

Yes your post went for moderation because of the link. I have edited the comment and added the link to Arthritis Care from our site. You can post this without moderation. The other problem was the link you provided was for a clinic in Los Angeles - I assume you meant UK Arthritis Care?

Regards,

Alan

• Posted

Hi Alan

OK thanks for the explanation. I did  post the AC link, I'm a volunteer in our AC branch but I didnt post  anthing about a clinic.....be it Los Angeles or UK

Sorry dont know who that was

Love

Eileen UK

• Posted

Hello again Eileen

You got posted at last. What a trivial thing it was, never mind it keep us on the right track. Sad about your scooter adding to your woes. There's not a lot you can do about that without major changes - move the seat - fresh scooter or something along those lines. If swimming doesn't work, how about something that is gentle and you don't have to tug and pull yourself to change or dress. Just gentle strolling on a reasonably level area if it's possible. It's exercise and every little bit that you manage is beneficial. I've been raking around the groups again and it's amazing how many OP sufferers also have OA. I suspect that somewhere in the body is a common link and it's nothing to do with AA or the other bisphosphonates. Looked for Scarborough in the list of branches and nothing showed which was much what I expected. It was worth the search just to update my knowledge.

Pauline had her injection at 9am and has been poddling around since. The pain is decreasing and she is perking up a bit. The first injection which was some years ago, was preceded by an anaesthetic which is why it seemed to work so quickly. This injection was an integral injection, anaesthetic and active ingredient in one phial and didn't work as quickly but it is working and getting better by the minute. The Dr. told her to take double the dose of paracetamol before bed but it probably won't be necessary. It does seem that Pauline's knees are nowhere near as affected as are yours but the injection is something on which to pin your hopes. At least you are still able to get around with a little help. That's what us fellows are for, not just for drying the washing up (we don't have an electric dishwasher just a skin & bone version.

This exercise is all very well but I actually dozed off for a short while after lunch so I must have been working quite hard. Maybe I'll delay upping the ante a bit until I can do what I did today without running out of steam.

You know, the design of the reply box encourages waffling & burbling cos you can't actually see just how much you you've typed until you make a concerted effort to look. So I think that I've burbled enough again and nothing is coming to mind other than the lovely meal that Pauline has prepared

So it's goodbye from her

And Bye from me.

All the best

Colin

• Posted

Hi Colin

The more people you can  talk to the better {outside the forum}

I carry little cards with me with that website {you know the one LOL} and the freephone number and chat to people when I'm out anywhere

Not quite the same thing as you but at least we are passing on news....loads of people dont know that anythin exists to help them with arthritis until they come across us. I can ramble as well as you canbiggrin

I hope Paulines injection went well. Will she know or will she have to wait for a while to test it and see if it has helped?

My injection the letter says will be 40 minutes thats all I know.

I rang the GP this morning and they sent me for an X Ray on the other leg this afternoon so maybe before I go to Venice {I dont go until 25th May} injection is 7th May they might get the injection into the right knee

This GP said when your X Ray results come back Dr Green will want to see you but I think he will want you to have the original knee injected

Personally if the pain is still coming from this knee I'm sure a consultant can over ride a GP and if GP says left knee and its the right knee thats hurting I'll dig my heels in and try to get him to do the right knee

Thats my rant over.

Peter is great. If it wasnt for him there are so many things I couldnt do.

Even though I'm reasonably independent with my own car and can drive myself places, hire a scooter etc. I dont have to rely on him to take me everywhere but even so I'd be lost without him

Better go and check the rest of the mail.

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Good morning everyone.

Up until about 2 minutes ago it was a bright sunshiny day. Now the only sunshine is the cat and it's beginning to rain as well!.

Pauline's knee is still improving by the hour, she had a good night and is walking like someone almost normal. Standing preparing meals isn't affecting the pain anymore and life is looking brighter for her, particularly since she regains more of her independence. Trip to the hospital this morning to get some MRI head scan results for her. She needed to find out whether she had stress and anxiety or the beginning of something more sinister. Having seen the lifting of her mood since the injection, I'll plump for the former but we shall see.

I'm going to drag out my home-made stepper and step-inside-love or something for a little while. I do need to be more careful than at the gym because the surfaces are rather hard and I can't risk a fall. Need to find a bit of old carpet.

Eileen, it sounds like you have a real gem there with Peter, They didn't teach us that when we training originally but it seems to come with the job. Maybe it's cos we were away so much, we appreciate our ladies more!

Taking the book with us to the hospital, I might as well use the time profitably.

Short burble this morning

Bye for now

Kind regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

What I meant was you used .com rather than .org uk so it went to a US site, sorry for confusion smile.

Alan

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​Apologies for not replying sooner; stuff happens my end! lol 

I'd be very interested in how you get on with the 'course' and absolutely agreed knowledge is power, and yes we all need help and advice so it is fab we can all share here smile  And that you are so good at research!! smile

​Hope Pauline's injection helped her.  I have ordered some turmeric tablets to start taking to help my pain as it is a natural painkiller apparently, plus there is a paste you can make with turmeric which I have yet to look into but uses turmeric powder and coconut oil amongst others.  Will keep you posted smile  I am finding the natural gelatin I am also taking a help; unless i just THINK it is helping.  But it does seem to be some of the old wives tales do hold water smile

​You may be right with Eileen's posts.  I have got a lot of messages to catch up on so apolologies if all my answers cross so to speak!

​Have bought some kiwi fruit this morning to try - will let you know smile

​Also saw my GP this morning who is referring me to a Rheumatologist and the local OP clinic.  She reckons that the HRT I am on will defo help, but obviously one has to look further down the line too when and if they decide to ever take me off it sad  She doesn't blame me at all for not sticking with the AA!  I think you are spot on in your analysis that 'yes' I am slowly making progress smile  Hopefully!  I really only want to see the Rheumatologist to make sure all my boxes are ticked as I want to continue as naturally as possible but as my GP said, and something I have already said, it is all a question of balance.  So baby steps......

​You take care, there are other msgs for me to answer, so again apologies if I repeat myself at all!

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

​just to sympathise with all your pain which I hope has eased a little bit.  sad  I told Colin about the turmeric and I have just ordered myself some turmeric capsules which I am hoping will help with my inflammation and pain; i will let you know how i get on smile  Plus I thoroughly recommend natural Gelatin; either just eating a cube of jelly like our Grannies did (something I read) or taking a daily gelatin capsule (I got mine off Amazon).  Seems to ehlp lubricate the joints a bit.  Have you ever tried Devil's Claw or Green Lipped Mussel which again, natural anti inflammatories....talking of which I must get myself some more GLM as I did find it helped me in the past - I'd forgotten until I started mentioning it to you! smile

​Good on you for doing what exercise one can.  I just told Colin I am being referred to a Rheumatologist and my GP completely understood about me not wanting to take the AA and that my HRT should help, for now.  Fingers crossed.

You take care and spk soon I am sure smile

​love Carrie

• Posted

Hi all,

​yes the weather is not the best; thankfully I didn't get caught in the hail earlier !

​I am so glad Pauline's knee is improving; pain is so debhilitating.  It is amazing when one feels a bit brighter and are in slightly less pain how our mood can indeed improve and lighten.  Can be a vicious circle at times.  sad

​Good luck with the stepper....and yes, do indeed be careful, have you got an old duvet ?  Would be even softer! 

Good luck your end!!

kind regards

Carrie

​ 

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

​Apologies, just seen and got round to replying....didn't have a lot of time yesterday or this morning.  Thank you for that link...which thanks to the moderator has now been published smile  I will defo check that out smile  I told Colin I think in an earlier post reply - can't remember if mentioned to you or not, apologies if I repeat myself! - am now going to get referring to a Rheumatologist, so I can cover all bases with all my illnesses and make sure that along with information I gather personally, the exercise I am trying to do, and the healthier diet I am trying to follow, will hopefully help in the future.  As I am on HRT it is a defo helping factor smile  But I obv won't always be on it.

​Know what you mean with the thigh muscles....something I am also trying to work on...not easy is it.  You and me both re the swimming. 

​I am also trying to improve my shoulder and upper arm muscles, again not easy, as I suffered with golfers and tennis elbow and tendonitis plus the arthritis so tended not to use/carry anything too heavy and that has had a detrimental effect, which I am trying to rectify.  Albeit slowly!

​EEK just thundered here sad

​Good luck with things your end and stay in touch smile

kind regards

Carrie

• Posted

Hi Colin

Thats great that Pauline is starting to feel the benefit of the injetion. I hope it lasts as long as the last one did.

It's been snowing off and on here......weather doesnt know what to do.

You are really getting on with the exercises.....I dont always have the motivation.

Hope you dont have too long a wait at the hospital.

Maybe it is because you have been away from us  LOL

I've been independent up until now {reasonably} but I'm having to ask Peter to drive me places......things like my Arthritis Care Committee meeting. Its a 21 mile return trip and I'll claim expenses for it but what does he do for a couple of hours while he is icking about waiting for me.

The same with volunteering. I'm going to have to give up a lot of volunteering rather than drage him out to chauffer me about.

Oh well thats me for now

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Carrie

Thanks for your sympathy but no if anything the pain is getting worse.

I've treid everything......sat with a TENS machine on it most of the evening

All I ever used it for  before was my back and it didnt do much good.

Yes please let me know how you get on with the tumeric

I will try gelatine.

Devils Claw and gren lipped mussel.......Devils claw I think clashes with some of the meds i take. I will check it out but I use pernaton cream which has green lipped mussle in it.

I'm off to bed now

Sorry for moaning

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hello Eileen, nice to hear from you. I find the process of reading and answering communications from real feeling and hurting people, is really something that touches me quite deep down. The same applies to Pauline. Today she got the all-clear from her MRI scan and her problem with her brain is a peculiar form of migrane which can be controlled. Her reaction was tiredness & relef.

The leg is really very good considering the time since the injection. She spent the afternoon stood in the kitchen (I was helping) preparing tomorrows evening meal ingredients. She only complained of being a little tired and I think that that was more reaction and relief for the confirmation that she didn't have altzheimers.

I had a private message from a member called Faith and she is also interested in what we are working towards. I suggested the book and get back to me with questions which can maybe be answered.

I sent you a personal message with a couple of passages from the book which I thought may cheer you up. It is curable, takes time but even with low exercise levels progress is possible. I appreciate that it isn't nice to be dependent on your soul-mate but I bet that Peter doesn't mind too much. Can you just reduce your volunteering a bit. I know that isn't easy because it transfers work to others and doesn't do your concience any good; but it would be such a shame to let all those years of toil just disappear.

To some extent, I have a similar problem with my daughter who has M.E. plus goodness knows what else and she's just asked me to take her to York hospital, a round trip of 90 miles and five hours at the hospital for her tests. Can't refuse, this is what love is about. I might walk to the Railway museum and take some pictures. The thing is that I am needed to support my family and I use this as an analogy for you.

I can't really do anything to help beyond offering my support on this forum. I really think it would be a real shame if you give up on your attempt to cure yourself, as you know I am deeply into this and I aim to make it work. I also enjoy the support from you, Carrie and Anhaga (who I think is called Jean).

If you need to chat / ramble any time, I'm here regularly

Take Great Care

Kindest Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

​So sorry to hear your pain is worsening sad  TENS did nothing for me either sad  I did get hold of an Acupoint (electrical acupuncture pen) which does seem to help a bit.  But obviously different things help different ppl as none of us are the same.

​Shame with Devil's Claw....glad the green lipped mussel cream helps....it did with me too a bit.  Obv nothing completely works all we can do is try and alleviate our symptoms as best we can.

​Never apologise for moaning; that's what friends are for! 

​Hope you slept ok. 

Take care,

​love Carrie

• Posted

Hi all

Colin your support is immense, as is your invaluable knowledge, so thank you smile  It is so nice we have formed our little support group on here :

​I am so glad Pauline's MRI was clear, I think we psyche ourselves  up for stuff at times, tensing our muscles and joints thereby making things worse at times.  We can't help it....at least I defo think that is what I do. 

​So dificult with family but yes, again we have to do what we can to support our loved ones.  I expect your daughter is on Facebook; there is huge support and advice on there and on which I have obtained and built on new ways of living.  Action for M.E. is excellent on practical as well as emotional support and advice.

​Eileen, what Colin has suggested re maybe just cutting down on your volunteer work is good; do what you can, and no more.  Especially if you enjoy it.  Hopefully there will be a solution as to how Peter can spend his time whilst you are there.  Good luck.

​Onwards!!!

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hello Carrie, hope that you are well and not overdoing the jumping (lol).

Just got back from the gym which seems to be taking longer but also seems to be effective. Have sent private messages with some paragraphs of you-know-what to both Eileen and Kathleen (Australia). I've suggested that they both obtain copies of the book because I am too slow a typist to cover all the stuff in the book

My program seems to be going well but I think that the food and nutrition may take a little sorting out because there just aren't enough hours in the day to do everything that I would like. Sleeping very well though and waking up actually refreshed - first time ever. Pauline was actually singing this morning while doing some chores That is a MAJOR step forward. Didn't make any comment, not diplomatic (I'm getting better at that). On my own most of today so will get lunch (guacamole and corncakes, really good for me), and light the fire cos it's cold again. I need to cut the grass but it keeps raining / sleeting / snowing and hailing and it's all driven by the polar wind, so the grass will have to just grow - it won't wait!.

Posting on here has become my relaxation at the moment. I do hope that Eileen is alright and recovers her drive a little. It's a fact that I haven't a clue about real pain, I'v only come across it second-hand, but you are all welcome to any support that I can give.

Take care, thoughts are with you all

Kindest Regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Colin,

​I'm ntb thank you smile  Must admit, haven't done any jumps for a few days, but been caught up with some other stuff, and having seen my GP yesterday and being referred to a Rheumatologist - to cover all bases, with the arthritis as well - I am feeling more positive.  As my GP said, 'not everyone tolerates AA'!  The HRT I am on should hopefully, over time, cushion me a bit which is gratifying, though I obviously will have to curtail any bungee jumping!!! :D lol

​I am seeing my physio tomorrow (still working on the soft tissue getting the wrists working again, getting there, but slow progress, especially with the left which had the operation and 3 pins put in).  I want to ask her about any safe exercises I can do to improve my shoulder muscles too - with the Fibro/M.E. they are so weak and underused, I feel it only sensible to try and build them up as best I can, safely obviously!  Do you happen to know of any incidentally?  Clavicle and shoulder blade I guess are the biggies; and having watching a YouTube video it seems just as well that bench presses have been off my agenda for years as they are not as good as ppl seem to think....but that is only what I have gathered from that! lol

​How lovely Pauline singing this morning smile  Hope it lasts smile  And good on you for not even being diplomatic!! wink lol And pleased you are making such good progress with your exercise routine smile

​Oh the weather is atrocious isn't it sad  I have been out a bit, just to get some air, but the heavens keep opening...our poor garden plants won't know whether they are coming or going sad

​Fab you have passed on to Eileen and Kathleen about the book....I have glanced at odd bits, but events are overtaking me at present.  I am looking forward to sitting quietly - after some exercise! - and reading it more fully smile  Bless you for mentioning it smile

Hope rest of your day good.....spk soon! smile

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hi Carrie & Eileen,

I'm sure that you've both seen my reply to Anhaga, I didn't register that because she didn't respond to the link about the book, she didn't know  what we talking about. I think that I've remedied the situation but if you spot me missing people off in the future, do please let me know. It's not that easy because you can't see to whom I've sent private messages.

Bye for now

Colin

• Posted

I might have missed this because I was on holiday and using a rather irritating small tablet to communicate.  I am getting kind of overwhelmed by all the threads I follow (polymyalgia rheumatica) ....  Also I felt a little bit as though a private conversation was going on and didn't want to butt in.  I do remember a long exchange going on about the person and her program which I presume has now been moderated.  I wondered how long it would take before the moderator took that exchange away.  The Healthunlocked forum is much more open about exchanging information about legitimate research and alternative ideas, just stepping in occasionally when something is really beyond the pale.
    • Posted

Hi Colin

Thanks for the empathy.  I feel the same actually except I'm feeling so awful the past few weeks that I havent had the energey ....not even on the net a lot.

I'm so pleased about Pauline and her MRI scan......fantastic that it isnt anything awful. I know how she feels. Thats the way I feel when I get  good news from the hospital if its something i've been worrying about.

Her leg does seem to be doing well. I'm not sure what kind of an injection or what sort of resting I will have to do.......just know its guided, and will take about 40 mins.

I am counting the days until 7th May and hoping it will help especially before I go to Venice.

So we have got another one Faith interested...thats good.

The only thing is my arthritis has ben so bad that I havent been thinking about my osteoporosis.

When the pain eases .....which it will.....I must start from the beginning and read all the posts you and Carrie have written.  I've been so sore that I've not been able to concentrate on that. So promise you I will read the posts and the pm as well.

Peter says he doesnt mind. I've been so bad the past few days that I have cancelled some volunteering.

Tues I had to drive to a committee meeting in the afternoon

In the morning I was supposed to be volunteering. Cancelled the volunteering and Peter drove me to the committee meeting in the afternoon.

Today I was supposed to volunteer this morning but the previouse night I felt so bad I rang Allison {Chairperson} and told her I wouldnt be volunteering this morning

Peter suggested we go for coffee and I take my scooter this afternoon

To the Metro Centre so all indoors because it was hailing.

I got on the scooter and never noticed before that the bit you put your feet on is quite short so my knees were bent back sort of under the seat.

I ended up sticking my feet out in front of me and feeling silly.

Yes you are right...thats  long way to drie then wait but she's your daughter.

Like I dais before I wont give up the fight to help cure myself.....just the state I'm in I cant face it

See what I feel like after this injection or hopefully injectionS  LOL

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi All smile

​Yea just seen; will try and remember smile  It is so hard sometimes to keep up with everything, and everyone as Life keeps interrupting! lol

Have a good day....just off for my walk before it rains! lol

kind regards

​Carrie

• Posted

Hello Eileen, It was good to hear from you and you didn't seem to be quite as down as you were previously. You have some good pen-friends who are all rooting for you. (That's apart from Peter who I'm sure will always root for you).

I don't know if you saw my previous post / message about a group of us setting up a conversation similar to what we have now but named more appropriately and with an agreement to share private messages when requested so that people don't get left out of the loop like I did to Jean (Anhaga). If you can possibly bring yourself to type a couple of lines,can you tell us what you think of the idea please. I also need to ask Faith the same thing if she doesn't get back to me. It would be a support group for those who want to try the natural way, which I think most of us are doing anyway. Would be interested to know what you think. I have me,and three others so far. Hoping to make it six with you and Faith. We'll see what happens. Got some work to do now, I knwo what I rather do but, needs etc.

Take good care of yourself

Kind Regards

Colin

• Posted

Hi

Whoever sees this message first will they pass it on to the rest please.

I'm having problems with the site and cant use it., Also things are chaotic at home so I'm coming off it all together

Good luck with all you work . I hope you all find  remedies

Love to Pauline

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi, Whowever gets this message first please pass it on. I'm having promblems with the site so I'm coming off altogether. Also its chaotic here I did post a message but it wouldnt go through

Love

Eileen

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

So sorry to learn that you won't be around any more, it has been a real pleasure chatting to you. It gave me something to think about apart from myself,  at a time when I was still in slight shock after my Dexa results. I do hope that you are able to sort out your life and problems. I will send you a PM with an email address should you wish to get in touch anytime. Do take very good care of yourself and pass my regards to David

With some sadness

Kindest regards

Colin.

• Posted

Hi Eileen,

​I echo Colin's sentiments and am sorry if you don't feel able to pop back on here.  It is not an easy site to navigate I concur sad  And I have had problems myself sad 

​Do take care, and if you want to pop on and message me I would love to hear from you smile

​kindest regards Carrie 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.