PSA doubled in 1 month

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi,

I am 64,7 years ago my PSA reading was 1.6.

I have had my PSA taken every year and it has slowly climed over the years to 2.3 on my last reading last March 2016

About 3 weeks ago I started taking astaxanthin 12 mg,its a salmon oil,2 weeks after taking it I noticed what I thought to be blood in my urine...had my urine tested 2 times and came back ok,GP said its probably the astaxanthin ....but lets do a kidney blood test....when they gave me the form to take to the hospital to have the blood test...I also ticked off the PSA...even though I had a reading in March of 2.3....anyway...when I called the GPs last week to get the results they said for me to make an appt to come in,,,,when I saw the Dr she said the kidney test came back good...your kidneys are perfect she said.....but your PSA has gone from 2.3 in March to 4.9 on the 11th April,she suggested I have the PSA test again in 3 months(in case it was the astaxanthin pushing it up or ejaculation etc)I said I felt better having the test a little sooner....so we settled on 6 weeks from today(April 13)

The GP also said that due to the more than doubling 2.3-4.9 she thought it was something other than Cancer etc pushing it up.

Im very worried...my father had prostate cancer when he was 84.

Any suggestions ?.Thank you

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

I've lived happily with a PSA score hovering around 8 for many years. You're doing all the right things in getting checked, even if it was cancer it may well, like mine, not develop. Use your rational anxiety to continue how you are in getting the docs to monitor you. Relax and leave worry to die away!
  • Posted

A PSA reading of 2.3 is nothing to worry about. My primary care doctor says over 4.0 is time to see a urologist - that of course is if you're not having any uninary issues. My PSA rose from 2.6 a few years ago, to 3.8, then to 4.0. This past year it went up to 5.2. That is when I was referred to a urologist. First antibotics to make sure it was not an infection of some kind... which it wasn't. Then a biopsy that showed cancer cells. The good thing is that it was caught very early, and it was not an agressived type. I had time to research treatment options as well as do the active survailance where you keep a check on the PSA numbers. I decided not to wait and see... I figured if this was something that could be cured that I should act on it now while I am at a younger age (65). Dealing with any side effects would be more difficult the longer I wait. I'm not much of a gambler, so I wanted to deal with it and get it cured. I opted for Brachytherapy - which to me seemed like the least side effects and it is a one time treatment for low to moderate rish prostate cancer. If I were you, the 2.3 PSA number is still good, much less than the 4.0. Each year at my physical, the results were given to me with all normal range numbers. For the PSA, the aceptable range was up to 4.0. Unless you have any other symptom, it doesn;t seem like you have anything to worry about. Good luck to you.

Charles

• Posted

Thank you Pepasan and Charles for your replies.

As an update.

When I  was told that my PSA had gone to 4.9 from 2.3 in the course  of about 6 weeks the lady Dr also asked if she could do a rectal exam right there and then....I refused,mainly because I was in a little shock and wasnt prepared for it mentally....anyway,I called my GP the next day and asked for the rectal exam with a man Dr...they made an appt that afternoon and I went in for the exam,The Dr(who I had never met before was about 55 years of age and seemed to know his stuff(I hope) he did the exam and told me that everything felt normal,he didnt feel any bumps,lumps or nodules and the texture was normal,he told me how I should prepare for the next PSA in six weeks (no cycling,no strenuos excecise and no ejaculation for at least 7 days prior to the PSA test.

In the meantime I read today about a Urine test for Prostate Cancer that is much more reliable....so I am checking that out now.

I cant help it.....Im a worrier.

Thank you both and good luck to you.

• Posted

That all sounds good. The digital rectal exam would show some abnormalities that would be of concern. The higher PSA could be an infection - or even prostatitus which I had. That caused my PSA to be elevated. The biopsy is what determined that I had the cancer cells and of what type. For me, the biopsy was not pleasant. Other men in these discussions said theirs was not particularly painful. I think I didn't get a good preparation to numb the area. If you end up having to have a biopsy, be sure to ask what kind of preparation to numb the area would be. I had 12 core samples taken - 2 of which showed the abnormal cells. With your relatively low PSA numbers, if you do have cancer cells, it would be curable. Just keep that in mind. Let us know how you do.

Charles

• Posted

Thank you Charles....unless something happens in the meantime(Im investigating the more reliable Urine test) I will be knowing more at the end of May when I have the PSA test again.

Good luck Charles.

Steve.

• Posted

A few things come to mind. 

A) High or low PSA in itself is meaningless. You can have sky high PSA and no cancer or a very low PSA and have cancer. The velocity over time, it's rate of change,  in particular, how long does it take to double is more important.

B) ensure all your PSA tests are done by the same lab because there are small differences in the way labs do this work and the small differences are enough not to distort the results.

C) you said the blood test came back twice "ok". Were they the common m/c/s test or were they three day urine analysis?

D) for blood in the  urine sometimes a cystoscopy is performed. I would focus on this issue first. It relates to the bladder. And bladder problems are more urgent to deal with than slow growing prostate tumors

E) The DRE in itself is baloney. My DRE indicates a normal prostate, but my PSA and  MRI indicate cancer. And I am 50!

F) in my case no exercise, no sex and eating appropriately before a PSA test made no difference. In fact, the PSA test I had after following this prescription was higher than before!

G) For all your prostate and bladder inquiries, be they about an infection, cancer etc, consult your urologist and not the GP. Ideally a urologist in a high volume practice or hospital. 

• Posted

Hi Barney,

Thanks for your advice and info.

As I said,I had been taking a very strong supplement 12mg for 17 days when I noticed the first part of my urine stram was dark pink and sometimes small piesces of something,I actually caught one of these small red pieces once in a jar while I urinated into it....I took it to the GP about 24 hours after trapping it but it had disolved,when the GP took 2 urine samples  on different days the results were ok,these tests were the type that they do with a dip...right infront of you.

Since I was advised to terminate my supplement use I have not seen any pinkish tint to my urine and no small pieces of whatever it was.

My research indicates that this supplement does interfere with Testesterone levels.(could that effect the PSA)

My GP has instructed me to go and have another PSA test at the end of May....(6 weeks after the reading of 4.9)

Good luck to you Barney and thanks for your info and advice.

i actually called a Urologist in Harley Street to inquire about the urine test that is supposedly more acurate than the PSA and was told by the nures that I would have to be refered by the GP and I couldnt just pay the fee(£300-400) to be tested,after telling the nurse that I am now going back for the PSA 6 weeks after the high reading of 4.9 she agreed that was the best way to proceed.

• Posted

I recently had a new PSA blood test as its now the end of May....called the GP and was directed to the receptionist,I asked her for the new results of my PSA nad she said....it has come back normal,I asked her for the PSA score and she said it was now down to 2.3 from 4.9

I am still concerned and would like to speak to the GP.

Any suggestions from you guys.

Thankyou.

• Posted

1. Get a hard copy of the PSA results and don't rely on verbal quotes from the receptionist.

2. Ensure the PSA is tested by the same pathology lab all the time

3. A PSA result in itself is not material. What is material is the trend over time, say one year or 2 years. Is it doubling in a year or so? That would prompt me to have a MRI and if that was anything other than CLEAR, I would proceed to a biopsy.

• Posted

Hi Barney/Everyone,

I went and had an appt with the GP.

My G.p was on holiday so I had to see another GP at the same surgery.

I did not get a hard copy of the PSA results but I could see on the computer monitor that the most recent PSA results was 2.3,in March is was 4.9.

G.p checked all my other readings and confirmed that the average out to about 2.0,he said that perhaps when I had my high reading of 4.9 I may have been excersing,bike riding,or ejaculating......he suggested going back in 1 months time and having another PSA if I still felt concerned,Im going to take him up on the offer just to see whats happening.

Hope everyone else is doing good.

• Posted

Just to confirm Barney,I asked the GP if the blood work is done at the same place everytime,he confirmed that it is always done  in the lab of a local hospital.
    • Posted

Retreading your posts, I conclude:

1. The pinkish hue in your urine you experienced while taking Astaxanthin was a result of Astaxanthin, it causes the pink in the skin salmon.

2 It is true that it is wise to get tested after you stop taking Astaxanthin but that means waiting until it is out of your system. With many drugs or supplements I would wait three months after I stopped taking it  and then do a PSA test again

3. Only then will we know if the raised PSA in your most recent test is due to Astaxanthin

4. I don't believe in food or exercise influencing PSA to fall. In my case eating fish and not meat and refraining from all exercise and sexual activity for  a week before a PSA only RAISED my PSA.

5. If the PSA in your next test is the same or higher  than 4.9 you may be directed to a biopsy. I would reject that as the next step. I would go for a MRI. A 3T MRI if you have no implants that would contraintradict the scan.

6. If the scan comes back as "clinically suspicious" then go do a biopsy.

• Posted

Hi there

I read your texts and was wondering if you knew whether certain supplements can affect you testosterone levels and raise your psa levels?

Look forward to hearing from you.

Many thanks

• Posted

I understand that most supplements mask the true PSA by deceptively lowering the measurement and giving men the wrong data as to their true PSA level.

Also I understand that some sport supplements can raise the PSA level.

If a person is on any supplements I suggest stoping them and testing for PSA say 2 weeks after stopping them to ensure there is little or no trace of the supplement in one's body.

• Posted

Hi barney3456

Thanks for your reply, we appreciate that.

My hubby's psa jumped from 0.7 to 6.8 in 3 months. Just a little history about him.

Carl has stage 4 prostate cancer, its left his prostate gland and gone into his lymph node. He has a bone and ct scan a few months ago but they came back negative. Carls psa went up came down and jumped again as I said above, So more bone and ct scans to see if the cancer is spreading.

The consultant gave carl more hormone tablets along with his regular hormone injection,the first time carls psa went up, but carl stopped the tablets because of side affects he were getting and the results for cancer in his bones and pelvis came back neg.

So that's why I asked about supplements that may raise psa. Carl is taking all sorts, he's on selenium and l tryptopahn which we read on line can raise testosterone levels, he also takes vit d3, vit c, modified citrus pectin, prostan and other little bits and pieces to help along with a healthyish diet and trying to avoid dairy,meat and sugar.

I appreciate any more knowledge you may have, because there is no one better to talk to than those who are going through similar experiences.

All the best with you barney3456.

Thank you

Venetia

• Posted

Hi, sorry to hear if your husband's situation. How old is he? His age is important when deciding what treatment to accept. Did he consider surgery?

As I see it, he has T4 N1 MO meaning tumor stage 4,  no involvement of lymph nodes and no evidence of bone (or a site distant to the prostate) involvement based on the scan. 

Please understand that there may be no evidence of metastasis to the nines based on the scans he had but that doesn't mean he doesn't have metastatic cancer. Most scans are not very sensitive, meaning if a cancer has gone to the bones IN A BIG WAY then yes, it would show up on the scans, but if it is on the homes in a very small way, then there is no clinical evidence so no physician would recommend radiation.

Please advise what type of scan did he have. You can get this information from the radiological report. If it was a PET scan, did it mention what TYPE of PET scan it was? There are a few different ones. May I ask what city, country are you in?

As for the foods you mention, I don't know much about the influence of food and question what good a strict diet does once one has cancer. It's not like certain foods will accelerate the cancer to my knowledge. It is quite a different discussion to go on a strict diet in order to try and keep away from getting the cancer in the first place.

For your guidance I am 50 and an in Australia.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.