New "Lump In Throat Experience shared

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi, so about a week ago I began getting the old ‘lump in throat’ symptoms. I have not been stressed, I have been getting enough sleep, and haven’t eaten anything out of the ordinary so I have no idea what has brought it on.

Each day the symptoms have got progressively worse to the point where the only reprieve I have from it is first thing in the morning and when eating. It has become very uncomfortable and concerning, so I have booked a doctor’s appointment after work tonight. From what I have read it appears to be known as Cricopharyngeal spasm – described as an uncomfortable, self – limiting disorder that resolves itself over time. The muscle involved with swallowing can spasm, which causes the lump in throat feeling & also explains why the tightness is reduced during eating as the muscle relaxes to allow the food to pass through. I have found the only time it goes away is when I am eating. Not great when you don’t feel like exercising because it feels like someone is standing on your throat haha.

I am not hopeful the doctor will be able to help me unless they prescribe some sort of muscle relaxant, as the advice seems to be to avoid stress (I don’t feel stressed however seems to be one of the main triggers) & drink warm fluids. But I figure it’s a good idea to rule out anything more sinister. The good news is it is very unlikely to be cancer, as generally eating would be very painful / uncomfortable rather than a source of relief…. The other good news is that there are no cases of it being a permanent condition, we just don’t know when it will go. I find it helps to have a lie down and focus on relaxing, and of course eating haha.

Not a pleasant thing to go through, but I wanted to share as it helps to read other peoples experiences.

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Your input is truly appreciated.It highlighted many points and helped to ease up anxious , "serial worrier"like myself. I suffer from globus as well.I also believe it's muscle spasms and it is relieved by eating.

Once again many thanks.

• Posted

Hi Soph, i'm hoping this reply posts as i've had trouble posting recently.

​I have had globus and silent reflux since Jan this year.

​Like you it's relieved by eating/drinking and i dont have it for about a minute after waking

• Posted

How did you get on at the Docs, Soph ?
    • Posted

Hi Shelley,

The doc thinks it is a muscle spasm, and prescribed a few days worth of muscle relaxants, rest, and to use a hot compress (wheat bag)

She also referred me for an ultrasound and blood test as when she was prodding me apparently one of my thyroids is tender...

I'm yet to book those as I really don't want the hassle and I'm still hoping it will just sort itself out!

The doc also said that although I may not think I'm stressed, I definitely am lol. I guess we all react to it differently, I guess I have had a lot on my plate recently... Time to chill out haha.

The muscle relaxants don't seem to help, but the wheat bag and hot tea did. I also felt better yesterday keeping busy with housework etc, I guess just taking your mind off the sensation is half the battle.

I hope yours improves soon 👍🏻😂

• Posted

glad your appointment went ok.I know what you mean about being stressed without realising.

​What muscle relaxant did they give you ?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.