My flexible sigmoidoscopy experience (the good one)

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone, just thought of sharing my experience. To start with, my pain tolerance is zero. I'm such a wuss that even with simple dental filling or cleaning I have to get anesthetic. I had a flex sig done 5 hours ago and in all honesty it doesn't hurt at all. I read a lot of negative reviews about it and decided to right my own to maybe help people like me who gets scared easily. Two weeks before the flex sig I always go online to research, read forum (which made me more scared). The worst part for me is the preparation. Clear liquid diet and the laxative. Which is two days before my sig test. Once in the examination room, I was so nervous to the point that I almost passed out, I anticipated the worst (probably because I read somewhere in this forum that it is worse than child birth) and I was surprised that it doesn't hurt at all. Little background, I have internal and external hems, and reason for this test is because I had experience rectal bleeding (bright red blood) about a week ago. Going back to the topic, as the doctor begun to insert that camera tube that was the worst part. If I would rate the pain 1-10 and 10 being the most painful I would say this is easily a 2 just because of the pressure and 2 because I have external hems which is sore (because of the laxative last night). If I don't have external hem I would easily say this is a 1, walk in the park. Then came the camera inside and the air start blowing to expand my colon. This is another discomfort that I felt because it gave me a weird feeling in my abdomen. If I were to describe it, it feels like you're about to take a massive poop. Then again tolerable. It really is just uncomfortable. As the minute passes by I was just watching the monitor and taking a good look at my own colon which is pretty amazing. Then the first corner, they have to turn to the first corner and the nurse gave me a mothers tap like everything is going to be okay and it is. I didn't feel a thing. Honestly just the air and the weird sensation of trying to stop a poop of coming out and the abdomen cramp. Then they found two polyps which they needed to remove (biopsy). Removal of the poly, I didn't feel any pain. I'm not exaggerating this. I'm honestly telling the truth. Then it was all done. If I timed it correctly it took about 12 minutes. Now I know everyone's experience is different and again I decided to write this because two weeks ago I've made the mistake of going into so much forum and read the horror stories, and thought that this review might help balance the reviews. So if you're like me who's super scared, please don't worry too much. Go with the test, the peace of mind that you'll get after is priceless. I'm 28 years old by the way, male. As for the result, just the two polyps and the internal hem is the abnormality that was found. The biopsy they took (polyp) was sent to the pathology dept for further examination. The doctor said that he can almost guarantee me that the polyps are the innocent ones (not the pre cancerous ones). I wasn't recommended further testing like colonoscopy. One last thing, if I were to do this again, for peace of mind, I will certainly do it in a heartbeat as I already know that it is not that bad versus what I've read so far. And p.s I respect everyone's opinion and I understand that everyone's different. Im just a guy who gets hurt easily with everything and can get easily scared with anything. But I did it, and I aced it. So if I can do it you can too! Cheers

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

I did a sig too.  Once.  And never again.  I recall having a moment in which I shuddered when a screening sig was suggested, but immediately felt at ease, as I just figured many people have them so they know what they are doing.  It was beyond pain.

The experience itself was painful, and beyond anything comparable.  Since I did not really view what barbaric device was used for such torture, my imagination informed me that a small rodent with sharp little claws was forced up

my anal area.  Then I wriggled around for what seemed like hours as that rodent went around and around and around and around and around and around, until it could find its way out.

I'll take my chances. Luckily, I have no predisposing family history of concern, and no habits consistent with increased risk.  But, I'll never chance another such encounter again.

Did I mention that I also will never again trust whatever a medical professional tells me again.  I do my own research.  And I worked in health care for over 20 years, I have to admit.

• Posted

Hi, I read Joe's reply to Jeff with sympathy. Like Joe I had a terrible experience with my first sigmoidoscopy. I had already previously had several colonoscopies so thought this would be a walk in the park. How wrong was I. The pain was terrible, and believe me I have been used to pain in my life. Why I am writing this is because I have had another sigmoidoscopy since and had the same experience as Jeff. No pain, just a little discomfort which anyone could put up with no problem. So I have come to the conclusion that it depends on how the examination is carried out. Just the luck of the draw so to speak. I hope if Joe should be asked to go back for another, he will go as it could save his life, and

the next one will probably be fine. Remember that most people who write on here are the ones with the negative experiences. I am sure that are loads more people who sail through it with no problems.

• Posted

I had the exact same experience as you Jeff!! I'm 20 I read too much online and scared the living day lights out myself! I understand everyone has different experiences and depends on what's wrong too!! but for me it was uncomftable but nothing I couldn't handle! I read too about its worse than childbirth which was the one that scared me the most, I was actually in the hospital crying I was that scared and every day a week prior to the sugery I was telling them I didn't want it but so glad I went it gives you reassurance! I have a lot of medical problems so to me if a doctor advises you to get somthing done then I'd just have it done you never know could save your life! I had major brain sugery which is my eyes was 10x worse lol that was the worst thing I ever had to have done and if it was to save my life id do it again! Everyone has different experiences though and not everyone finds it easy! But I'm deffinatly not going on any forums again if I need sugery! It made me have so many anxiety attacks to the point of not breathing as I was worring i think everyone shouldn't read people's comments anyway as everyone will have a different experience
  • Posted

Dear Jeff,

I have my sig scheduled in a few days time. i am also a 28 year old male, and i am glad God guided me to read this review as it has definitely put my mind at ease. Thank you for writing this. God bless

• Posted

I had my 1st ever sig this morning and jayyyzus christ I only feel agonising pain like it when I get a flare up of whatever going on in my gut! I was literally sobbing so much, Im sure I screamed in pain too.... I was on the gas and air which minutely took the edge off the pain. The nurses in the room put their arms around me telling me I was safe, bless them. Anyone at all who can do this with no relief at all is a superhero in my opinion 😂 and they found sod all up there 😏

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.