PHN pain and sugar intake

Posted , 5 users are following.

I have noticed a correlation between how much sugar I have during the day and how much pain I have at night.

2 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi  you seem to make this statement but do not give us any backing information.   Can you explain a little more please so that us readers have some form of information.

Jocelyne  from Cambridge UK

• Posted

I noticed if I have a bowl of ice cream before bed say an hour later in bed I would have an attack with the pain level being at a 7-8. I did this like 3 times. Then I had cake and cookies at a party and that night I had another attack. I haven't had any white sugar not even cereal for 4 days now and when I do have an attack it is about a 4-5 pain level.
  • Posted

I am a caregiver to a 71 yr old male that has had PHN for 40 years 24 hrs a day 365 days a year!  He had his T11 and T12 nerves cut to try and relieve the shingles pain 40 years ago, but instead of it helping, it left him in chronic pain for the rest of his life.  Just in the past month, I have noticed a correlation in his sugar intake and pain level.  When he eats sugar/carbohydrates, his pain is just about unbearable.  When he eats no sugar/carbs for the day, his pain is about a 2-3.  It's amazing how this affects him.  

• Posted

Hi, I am 46 years old and have shingle on head and TN1 for 3 years. Reason for shock is the coating around the nerve is gone and when blood vessel compress on the nerve, it gives out wrong signals and become painful shock (like electrical shock). I did some searching for how to rebuild this coating, and I found that they recommend avoid refine sugar and beef products. Thus, I think eating more sugar will damage this coating further. My diet includes brown rice, vegetable, blue berry, grape, fish, pork, chicken, egg, and oatmeal. I am taking 800mg carbamazepine a day, omega-3, vitamine D, centrum and B-complex other days. I only get shock 1 or 2 (manageable pain level) after 12 hours if i don't take new dose. Eat before 8:00 am/pm and take med at 9:00 am/pm. I always have lesian of shingle on my head and half of my scalp above the ear has pressure/tension.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.