Nightime Headaches with CS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi everyone!  I was diagnosed with CS approximately two years ago.  At the time, I didn't take it too seriously.  As time as gone on, the symptoms have gotten worse, mainly the headaches.  I wake up every single night within a couple of hours usually with a headache that will pound if I don't get up and take a BC powder.  My GYN doctor said these are really bad for my stomach, but this is the only thing I can take that will get rid of the headache.  Triptans work, but you are not supposed to take these but two or three times a week and I need something literally every single night, and sometimes during the day.  I have to work and cannot take strong pain meds, nor do I really want to because of my mom years ago having an addiction to prescription pain killers.  I am just wondering if this is a typical symptom of CS with most people?  I also have a great deal of neck pain.  I sit in front of a computer all day long, which I am sure doesn't help.  I bought a TENS machine yesterday.  It helped a little, but today my neck is hurting a great deal.  

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi, your symptons are very similar to mine (I was diagnosed 6 years ago) and are almost certainly part of the CS.   like you I work in at office and sitting in front of a computer all day does seem to make things worse.  I get the night headaches and I take Zapain or Co-codamol if I need to at night but during the day they would send me to sleep!  I use a tens machine or Deep Relief Gel to get me through the day.  Be careful with the tens machine as they say you can use them as often as you like for as long as you like but like you I got a sore neck to start with through using it too much and I think if you use it too long at a time it can over stimulate the nerve endings which causes more pain. It might be worth asking your GP if you can be referred for Physio as well. The actual physio didn't help much for me but he taught me some excercises to gently stretch the neck muscles which I do every morning when I get up and during the day if it starts to get painful and they do seem to help.  Good Luck.
    • Posted

Thank you Rachel!  At one time, I was doing some neck exercises I had found online and they did seem to help.  I am terrible at being dedicated to any form of exercise and I really need to start back doing these.  I went for some myofascial therapy last year and it was pretty intense and not sure it helped me at all.  I have been taking a BC powder before I go to bed every night just to ensure I can sleep a few hours.  Some people don't even know what those are (my hubby had never heard of them until he moved south).  They are basically straight aspirin in a powder form.
  • Posted

Hi cheriswanson, yes, headache comes from the Spondylosis you have.

Been there, got rid of it with good Accupunture.

The whole life changed because of that

its annoying and not much you can do about

Try not to lift heavy stuff, try not be be to long on the PC

• Posted

How long ago did you have accupuncture?  Thank you for your advice!  
    • Posted

All started few weeks ago when i woke up one day and everything was spinning ( severe dizziness )and horrible headache

went to my Acupunture " guy " ( who is amazing ) and he told me that i have Spondylosis ( confirmed by  a x-ray which i made few days later )

I got 3 session and headache left and didnt come back.

That was the easy part, the tricky one is to get rid of the dizziness as soon as i bent my neck backwards or look up ,,, 

for this i have to go back to get some more Acupunture because its more difficult to treat but i still have some hope

• Posted

Hi, yes I suffered from headaches usually in the night and on waking I thought it was an allergy to bedding... but recently been diagnosed with spondylosis of neck and ostiorthritiss of spine but have gradually got pains all over my body especially at night. I now realise now this was the cause of my headaches! I do neck exercises and stretchmy spine when this occurs and usually this clears my headache but do feel unwell most of the day until it clears completely.. I am still in shock and very upset as I have always been fit and well. I also get extremely tired. I hope you have found help with your headaches try the back and neck excursuses when you get the headache I sometimes have got out if bed during the night to do them and it does seem to give some relief... .. .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.