Will my hair eventually stop shredding?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi there, I was diagnosed nearly 2 years ago with under active thyroid.  At the time I was borderline but had been suffering with terrible muscle pains, fatigue, pins and needles and worrying chest pains.  My hair was dry but I had plenty of it.  I take 75 levothyroxine Monday to Friday and 100 Saturday and sunday.  I do feel much better on the medication although I still do have some bad days when my muscles ache and I also suffer from bad lower back pain and still get very tired and am overweight.  I naively thought my hair would go back to normal once I was on the  medication but the constant thinning hair causes me much distress.  Will this calm down - I've only ever mentioned it to my GP once but he didn't really seem interested just said that my levels were normal and I should be grateful it wasn't anything worse to worry about.  Does it eventually stabalise?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lynne, If your hair is still thinning (you obviously aren't prone to this), your weight is up, heart palpitations(?), fatigue? All symptoms of low thyroid. I encourage you to read through many of these posts to get a feeling for what others have been through and how they've dealt with thyroid challenges.

The he posts should give you comfort and guidance. If you don't find some answers or can't read the posts, ask more questions here and people will respond with help.

You're doing great because you're aware enough of your body to realize you need help. Good job!

Catherine 

• Posted

Hi Lynn my hair has been fine since being diagnosed 1981 but if the thyroxine is steady then it gets a bit better just go with it, my weight is always up I have to diet all the time just to maintain it, try not to stress as that can also make your hair fall, mine was stable for over thirty years it's only since I had the change its started messing about you will feel better when your stabilised on thyroxine. 
  • Posted

It's worth checking your vitamins and minerals are in range. Ferritin needs to be 70+ to process thyroxine. Check vitamin B12, vitamin D. Anaemia can cause hair loss.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.