Constant indigestion for 5 weeks

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i'm looking for a little reassurance.... I had a clear endoscopy about 18 months ago due to feeling that food wasn't going down properly and a sore throat pain and burping it eventually went away on its own as meds didn't work.... But about 5 weeks ago I got constant chronic indigestion sore/ burning throat pain.... Pain under ribs burping food not going down smoothly and meds aren't working symptoms seem worse than before with no let up and I'm starting to worry.... Blood test has just come back normal.... Has or is anyone else experiencing this x

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

Its odd that nothing showed up on an endoscopy because these were the exact symptoms I displayed when I was diagnosed with a Hiatus Hernia. There is a lot of information on GERD sites. 

Personally, I would ask for further investication - maybe an ultrasound or x ray?

Good Luck!

• Posted

Yes - I have Jenny. My blood tests have been normal and had endoscopy last November and was diagnosed with a small hiatus hernia.  I have sore burning mouth and irritated throat due to reflux they think. Unfortunately I don"t respond to meds either.  I have been very worried and they say it is anxiety?!  I hope we both get better soon.
  • Posted

Whe you all say meds didn't help, I am assuming you mean Omeprazole, or one like it?  I personally responded well to it.  Now, I am actually still taking it off and on even though my doctor wants me on Rantinidine, which does not work nearly as well, or for as long.  Also, are you eating too fast?  Chewing your food thoroughly?  I tend to wolf down food, and often have to remind myself to slow down.  
    • Posted

Thanks for replying yes I do eat quickly I will bare that in mind 👍
  • Posted

I'm taking Lansoprazole twice a day and Ranitidine at night. Have seen a GI consultant and as I haven't responded to treatment he thinks something else is going on due to stress and anxiety. I am waiting to have a Manometery ph acid test when I can get an appointment. Meanwhile I have been given Fluoxetine and Amytriptyline to try to settle my nervous system down.  After I've had the test the consultant will see me again.  I have been taking the Fluoxetine for just short of 4 weeks and still feel very jittery and anxious.  If I'm honest I'm really freaking out I have something seriously wrong but they keep telling me it's anxiety!  I hope they are right.  
    • Posted

Hello Jenny...... My symptoms were last September I visited a chiropractor and when he was pressing on my back I felt I was going to sick and thereafter I have felt as if things are not  right in the abdominal area.  Had an endoscopy in November and they found a small hiatus hernia.  I have had a very sore mouth and it feels sore and uncomfortable when I breathe in and out also my throat is irritated. I saw an ENT consultant and he said my throat was inflamed due to reflux and hernia. However I don't seem to be responding to the Lansoprazole and Ranitidine plus Gaviscon so the GI consultant thought it was something else..... possible anxiety.  I have been very stressed for quite some time for various reasons.  Now I feel I have pains flitting around my abdomin and back.  Also things taste and smell odd.  They seem to think it is hypersensitity.  I know I'm a health worrier.....they have put me on Prozac and Amitrypyline at night in the hope that it will settle things down.  However in my head I have all sorts of awful things wrong now which of course doesn't help things. Sorry if I've gone - on don't know whether you've experienced any of my symptoms? I hope that we both start to feel better very soon. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.