alendronic acid i am having a tooth out tihis week, is it safe while on alendronic acid please

Posted , 5 users are following.

i need a tooth out this week, but on alendronic acid, does any one  now if this is safe? thanks for help

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I had a tooth out last year having taken Alendronic acid for 2 years and had no problems. I did tell my dentist that I was taking it and she referred me to a dentist where they will sedate you. However I chose not to have sedation, just an injection and tooth came out easily  and gum healed quickly. Hope you are just as lucky.

• Posted

Hi helen54520,

Thank you so much for your reply, it was helpful .

• Posted

I assume your dentist knows about your medication.  Only he/she can really determine the current health of your jaw bone.  Good luck - hope your procedure goes as swimmingly as Helen's did!
    • Posted

They can't tell by looking at it. Past three years a blood test is the only way to check its safety.

I have posted the name of the blood test a few times. I will look at earlier postings to find it as I am away from home at the movement visiting grandchildren.

• Posted

Yes, Kathleen, I remember someone, must have been you, posting that information a while ago.  I googled bisphosphonates jaw health blood test and found a test called CTX.  Is that it?
    • Posted

Yes and if it is under a certain level it is safe but over it is not.
  • Posted

My dentist would not remove what was left after my crown failed last year. He felt the risks outweighed the benefits. He made a plate that replaced the crown without extraction
  • Posted

It depends how long you have been on it. Less than three years is supposed to be safe. Otherwise, you need to have a blood test to check i s safety. 

Also, I would make sure the dentist knows and takes care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.