High liver ALT due to possible glandular fever

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have been unwell for just over a week now. Enlarged tonsils, fatigued, loss of appetite, temp etc- doc said it was tonsillitis so have been on antibiotics since Thursday. The first lots did not agree with me and made me sick so I am now on amoxicillin which I always took as a child.

He sent me for blood tests as Darren had glandular fever recently and the results have come back from a liver profile that my ALT is 935 and ASP 540. Obviously when I read online this is massively high in comparison to the range it should be in. He is sending me for more tests but it could take up to 2 weeks.

How serious is this? Is it not possible that it's high due to medication or illness /glandular fever?

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I had mono last year and my liver values were a little high. I don't know exactly what they were but they were elevated. I would ask your doctor or google it. Mono can cause all sorts of disruptions in your body. Hope you are feeling better really soon!

• Posted

Hi Becky,

Just wanted to offer you some reassurance that things will get better. I suppose the main thing would be to get a blood test to see if you do have glandular fever or not, that will clarify one way or the other. It is possible that the liver results can be off when you have glandular fever, I was the same when I had it. But I did recover and things settled down in time. Since it's a virus, if it is glandular fever then antibiotics I'm afraid wouldn't do anything for it (that would only help if it was a bacterial infection). 

Please don't worry, I know that is hard. Take some good vitamins, a good multi-vitamin and B complex vitamins can really help. Even if it's not glandular fever, it could still be a nasty virus which can take a number of weeks to pass over. So just in the meantime be kind to yourself and let your body recovery - but you WILL recover and feel much better again soon. The likelihood is that there is not anything serious wrong, and it is a virus of some description be it glandular fever or something else. Frustration as this is and can be, you will definitely recover though.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Craig

• Posted

Thankfully I received doc call this morning stating that it's glandular fever. Yay.

Hopefully that'll explain the elevated liver results. Am waiting for him to tell me x

• Posted

You just take care of yourself then Becky. Glandular fever needs respect and time to recover, so make sure just rest up and take some vitamins and hopefully it will pass over.

Take care

Craig

• Posted

Hi Becky,  I had elevated liver enzymes when first diagnosed with glandular fever. I live in the United States.  Different doctors handle this in different ways. My doctor sent me to get an ultrasound of my liver, which was normal.  He also put me on oral steroids.  Within a month of rest, plenty of liquids and good nutrition, my liver blood test are close to normal.  So our bodies do heal themselves when given the proper support of rest.  

Since I was home, not working and did not have enough energy to do anything, I tried to fill my mind with good music and find something humorous to watch on TV.  

GF can be a tricky recovery, so be careful not to overdo.  My doctor said rest, rest, rest.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply. We're yours as high as mine. I have a liver scan on Tuesday so fingers crossed its just GF.
    • Posted

No my liver tests numbers were not as high as yours.  Do you have discomfort/soreness over your liver area?  Can your doctor palpate your liver  when doing the physical exam?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.