Coming off seroxat\paroxetine onto Venlafaxine\effexor

Posted , 3 users are following.

I'll try to keep this brief but as we all know the road of depression is a long tedius thing.

I'm coming off Seroxat after approximately 6years. My doctor has told me to go cold turkey from one antidepressant to the next this time venlafaxine.

So far it has been ok I'm a week in I'm getting the brain zaps, and vertigo and am wondering how long these go on for or if I should expect my symptoms to get worse...

I have to get back to work next week and There's NEVER a good time to switch meds in my opinion.

Any advice would be great. My doctors not reachable now it's the weekend.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi I was on paroxtene for 16 years. I'm a month without any drugs.ive been through hell coming of them bad depression panic attacks brain zaps severe nausea brain racing can't sleep plus heaps of other symptoms. I've been told it can take 3 months before you start to feel better.you should never come of cold turkey you must come of slowly regards christina
    • Posted

I remember trying to come off a year ago tapered down slowly wasn't too bad until about 3 months in on 5mg my depression was in unbearable and had to go back on.

I took 10mg parole time on Friday evening and felt 100% on the Saturday! So frustrating I don't like the idea of mixing the meds with the venlafaxine but I seems I may need to?!

• Posted

Yep I'm 5 weeks without antidepressants and my depression is so bad.i hate feeling like this.its just such a black cloud hanging over you and no matter how hard I try,u can't get rid of it...unfortunately I'm going back to doctors tomorrow.. I need antidepressants
    • Posted

Good luck, see if you can get on a different antidepressant have you tried others mertazapine is something I tried didn't get withdrawal from the paroxetine. They made me so manic and upbeat but I ate like crazy gained too much weight was a side effect I couldn't handle at the time. Who knows they might help you? Everyone's different x
    • Posted

Gosh your so lucky you didn't get withdrawls from paroxtene, mine were horrendous.. I haven't really tried many antidepressants as I was on paroxtene for 16 years. I'm scared of meds.so I'll be asking for something gentle and with not so many side effects if that's possible

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.