15 year fentynal addiction

Posted , 4 users are following.

The doctor told me I would be dependent and addicted but In was in such pain and no answer what was wrong it was this or die.  Now I still live with pain but manage and I dont think the fentynal is helping the pain but my body needs it.  I have come down from 50mcg to about 19 mcg .  I have so little energy today I can not hardle get from bed to couch.  this has been a 7 month project.  I also take morphine sulfate 3 x daily but have to get off one thing at a time.  Can anyone help with loss of energy?  I only go down a mcg per week or two.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Dear Susan

You did not mention the strength of the Morphine taken 3Xday. Its very odd for a well educated Dr. to say you would be dependent  AND  addicted because to two words have very different meanings.

I understand and appreciate why you would accept using this med as severe pain is net to impossible to live with.  May I ask what forms of these drugs you are using

Im sure you under stand that narcotic drugs are depressants however your Fentanyl level was very low to begin with and Im sure with some extra will power you can kick this habit. You wrote you can manage but are without energy. You are still using Morphine named after the Goddess of sleep. If you are on a low dose of that drug your DR. mat switch your Morphine to Ativan to help you with the conversion. After a week of no narcotics just start a walking program. Begin slow and weekly increase your distance and intensity. Of course consult your Dr

Make no mistake I know many who got down to 25mcg/hr patch but could go no further as if Fentanyl was a drug for life.  I wish you the best and if you need support I will be here for you always.

before starting any workout program and yes walking is a work out program, 

GOOD LUCK

Marty

AKA BUGMANN  

• Posted

Thanks Bugmann,  MS IR 15mg upto 3x daily.  It was the lower dose of Fentynal in my system.  I put new patch on yesterday which gave it a bit of rise and some energy returned.  Merry go round.  I will see my PA next week for more help.  Just do not want to switch  to another addictive drug.  After so long it has made me feel about 15 years older. May you be blessed for answering my post.
    • Posted

Hey Susan 15 IR Morphine Sulfate is your rescue med as it is immediate release. What dose is your Patch 12.5 or 25mcg/hr??

The slight energy you had today was from your patch, as the 1st day is the best day for the patch I imagine you change every 3 days.

Feeling wore out is all apart of the process and you are SOOO close to kicking this habit. Maybe on your patch change day when you have more energy begin a walking program as exercise will speed up the process of getting the drugs out. At this point we need to look at the 1/2 life of each drug. The Patch has a 1/2 life of 17-30 hrs and the MS is about 4 hrs going from memory. SO if you can stay on the MS but get in a slower release  or  ER form then in about a month from that point you should be feeling more normal within 30 days. Come on Dear you can do this.

Marty 

• Posted

Hey Susan, I have been on 100 mcg fentanyl patch for over 15 years and I do notice absolutely being sleepy when I start to go thru withdrawal.  It is the first sign I get that I am ready for a new patch.  I am not sure of the "why's" of this reaction, but I would bet it is pretty common.  Best of luck to you getting off the patch, I wish more than anything I had never started, then I wouldn't be facing what I am facing trying to get off.  Please stay in touch in this group, you will find great support, humor and empathy here.  Let us all know how you are doing, OK?  Leigh
    • Posted

Hi Bugmann,  my patch is the 25 mcg however I have masked off over 1/3 of it  Going slow so in about 2 weeks I will be at the 12..  I am already walking 30 minutes per day.  I am so ready to get this out of my body.  I feel like I will need the ER morphine in June . Thanks for your comments.

Susan

• Posted

Hi Susan, and Well done with your achievement to date .

I tapered off Actiq (oral fentanyl for breakthrough pain) then cold turkeyed at 4 a day. My withdrawals were no worse than the taper from 8 a day and double the strength. Lethargy and energy loss along with cravings the worst withdrawal symptom. Try to do one activity a day then 2 that demand energy. Then you can snuggle in a blanket and watch a movie, but not befor giving your body some exercise. I have tapered from a 50mcg patch to 37.5 after 3 days then 25 after 3 days now on 12.5 due to change tommorow to nil or may just keep patch on a week. I will see how I go. Patch taper was started  8 days after Actiq stopped.Loperamide ++++++ a must.

Yes it's been very difficult, but do able. People here are a fantastic support. Keep communicating and they will support you to do it

I've had random pain in joints which vary, a few episodes of very severe pain, blanket,hot bottle and paracetamol and a movie. You have Morphine to use.

If I am brutally honest fentanyl was not doing a lot for my pain. I was offered to increase the patch to 75 but refused. My bed is my haven. I listened to what people said here some prefer a slow taper other quick or cold turkey. It is very individual but does require will power and support from others.

I have found a rapid taper easier to cope with than the slow taper with the Actiq. I am very inpatient and it was the cravings for the Actiq that got me. The quicker you get of it the quicker you will get energy back, most people seem to find the last step to much as Bugmann says.

Just keep focused and you'll get there, you are so close.

From all my communications from others I beleive it takes up to 6 months to get energy back. So lots of nutritional supplements, good diet and exercise daily.

Please let us know how you do and give us any tips you may have.

Lots of warm wishes and hugs xx

• Posted

HI, I am fentanyl free since 8th of July.  Energy still comes and goes.  Good to hear your comment of maybe six months for full recovery.  Trying to keep things even.  Couch and bed with heating pad and tv seems to be a good distraction from pain.  Before I move much my level is down but walking my poodle can bring it on fast.  Still in physical therapy and claiming my healing.  I know the mind is a powerful thing and a good part of the battle.  Pray your fast taper works.  Like you I knew the med was not helping my pain any more and didn't want to keep increasing.  Oh to be a kid again with a youthful body.  Keep me updated.  Life is a journey!

• Posted

Hi Susan Well done being fentanyl free.

I to took of my last patch 4 days ago, so still having withdrawals, but coping. The biggest thing is the mental craving to feel "normal" again. The world however does seem a brighter place.

• Posted

Hang in there, you have done the hard part.  I try to walk everyday even if just five minutes and that helps me feel the best.  I am so happy for you.  We made it.  Still working on best way to deal with chronic pain.  Lots of people do so I am sure we will too!  God Bless!  Susan
    • Posted

Hi susan, it better not be 6 months till back to normal. I want normal NOW as soon as I walk I get stomach pain from all the adhesions etc

Oncologist says everything inside now bladder bowel intestines are all frozen. They no longer have any elasticity in them. I just feel I was stitched back together wrong and it certainly doesn't look good from the outside. Bikini days have gone. Otherwise I'm fine still some withdrawals . How you doing?

• Posted

Everyone is different.  I am a senior so years of medical challenges have taught me more strength to wait.  Today is not a good day but tomorrow will come.  All the years of medicine has taken a tole on the lining of my stomach.  Acid burns a lot about every two to three weeks then more meds for that.  It's a bed day with my dogs.  I am thankful they always are happy to keep me company.  You said frozen lower organs.  Frozen from fentynal or adhesions or both.  So sorry that is your battle for now.  I am praying for you!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.