Being tested for my Cholesteatoma Friday. It begins. With mildy sedated ABR

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all. I have all the classic symptoms of a Cholesteatoma. My GP is on high alert regarding this and has sent me on to an ENT who specializes in diagnosing people with dizziness and other unique ear disorders. (I have another post regarding my story of how it was discovered)  My symptoms add up especially to the dizziness factor along with other key symptoms.  This past weekend was quite bad as motion set me off and a few people thought they knocked me over when in turn it was my fault for bumping into them. Long story short, as i do like to type (talk lol) if any of you had a sedative such as ativan what was it like? I am having this for my ABR (And will probably have a lot of other tests to go through eventually) as I know they play loud noises and a person has to sit still with that. I have issues regarding loud sudden noises and failing to sit still with them.  My Doctor's secretary was fantastic in understanding that so set me up with the medication. Also if any of you who have had an ABR what was your over all experience like? Was it at all loud or did you find it tolerable? Any sort of advice would be great please. 

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Martin again

I presume your abr is our mri scan? If I am correct I have had 3 brain scans by mri. Each one has been different and they do allow you headphones if it helps. It really is not that bad as I like you don't like enclosed spaces or loud noises but it was necessary for checking out things so I know I had to suffer it. I had one that was louder than most too as it was called with diffusion I think. I didnt have any sedative though and if I had to go through it again I wouldn't request any either. You just have to try to lie down and relax, think of something happy, think of words to a song, the sun beaming down, anything you like. It's over before you know it.

I noted you had tinnitus too. I had it before my op and then it worsened after my op (it changed to a heartbeat type) and then it went. I managed to keep my hearing after the op too. I was told they would repair the bones if they had to cut them but lucky for me they did not.

I had a lot of packing in my ear after so had no idea if I could hear at all until it was removed and I could thankfully.

Pain wise I took tramadol. They were excellent and I got rest with them. The scar is not visible and my ear looks normal. I had started to get a palsy so needed the operation. It was next to my face nerve. I still have weakness now but at least the cholesteatoma did not eat it all up. I have not really had too many infections since although I still get the annoying pressure feeling to this day where I have to yawn or thrust my jaw to relieve it. I think I will have to live with that as I have eustation tube problems they say.

All in all Martin, we have all survived it and believe me I am a worrier worse than most but here to tell the tale just like you will if the scan tells you the worst. It's best to get it operated on because they really are dangerous if left.

You ask as much as you want and I am sure people will be here for you.

Take care and just ask.

• Posted

Hi Martin

Sorry, forget my response below. I thought abr was mri scan. I don't know what this test is. I had headphones on and just had to press a buzzer at each noise. Some were low some were very high pitched. I don't think it was abr though lol.

• Posted

no worries, it's quite alright. Thank you kindly.  I hope you are having a terrific day.  I found your post very informative as i've never had the MRI before, only CT scans.  ABR is auditory brainstem response. They play clicks in your ears with what i was told by the secretary small ear phones that go into my ears and apparently electrodes to rule out any sort of pathway blockage or to ifnd out how one hears without having to give a response. 

I am glad you were able to get fixed and receive what you needed.  If not for some of these amazing tools an awful lot would be missed. I too have had the regular hearing test many times. 

I will be sure to give you the results and if i remember what it was like after the sedative i can give a description of what i went through. You take care and have a great day smile 

• Posted

Hi. My name is Amy and I'm 17. At the beginning of May I had an ear infection and I didnt go away. Fast forward a few months I had really bad vertigo sickness and was rushed to hospital. There I spent a week. I had an Mri scan. I suffer with bad anxiety and asked them to cover my eyes I found this easier. Later on I had a diagnosis chlorestoattoma. Within 24 hours ( I was close to having other problems) I had my op and was in recover. Five weeks later and my surgeon says I'm healing well. I'm half deaf in my left ear and will be for the rest of my life. But I could have died. The scans are nothing honestly and once there over with you'll know what's wrong. I'm so grateful and couldn't fault the nhs good luck

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.