Zyprexa

Posted , 3 users are following.

Just started on Zyprexa 1.25 mg for an add on to taper off Paxil. Paxil just stopped working suddenly in July and have heart palpitations and occasional panic attacks. Jittery and shaking hands. The Zyprexa has helped, but I'm just worried about being able to come off of it and the side effects. My doc said I shouldn't have any weight gain on 1.25 mg. Does anyone have any experience on this drug?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I don't know what dose my mother was on, but she ballooned from a decades stable size 14-16, to a size 22 while on the zyprexa. In addition, she was recently diagnosed with severe diabetes, with accute onset. So not prior high blood sugar levels that were worrisome.

The family suspects the zyprexa caused the diabetes,maps she was NOT considered at risk for diabetes.

I read wad a ton of comments by people who've been on zyprexa, and while it is very effective at controlling mental illness, so many of the comments I found were people recently diagnosed with diabetes, that I would never ever take this drug.

I found many comments that this drug is both an extreme appetite stimulant as well as causes weight gain regardless of efforts to maintain weight.

Check some other patient chat boards on other sites. You'll like decide this drug is not a good idea.

Good luck!

• Posted

I have seen all of the side effects of the drug and especially the withdrawal ones. I was on 1.25mg for 3 days. What dose was your mom on? Did she have a hard time coming off of it?
    • Posted

Hi Tonia, I'd have to look up the dose. She was switched from zyprexa to Latuda. At the time they switched her, she was an absolute mess from being hospitalized from the diabetic ketoacidosis, dehydration, seizure and coding. She had lost her memory and was undergoing extensive rehab therapy during the time when she went off zyprexa. So it's hard to tell what effect going off the zyprexa may have had. She's definitely been losing weight like crazy since going off zyprexa.

what symptoms did you have when you went off zyprexa?

• Posted

I wasn't on it long enough to have any side effects except I had a general feeling of malaise for about a day. I'm surprised they put her on an antipsychotic medication because of her age. I didn't think the elderly were supposed to be put on those meds. It sure did make me feel like myself again for those 3 days, but not worth the side effects.
    • Posted

Thanks Tonia. I read that zyprexa is not recommended for dimentia in elderly. I'm guessing it's because the side effects are so bad, it kills them.
    • Posted

Hi Tonia

This is a bit late to reply but did the 1.25mg help with anxiety - it has been suggested to me as I have bad anxiety and depression but I am so scared. Did you experience many side effects?

C

• Posted

Hi Tonia

You said it helped with the anxiety - what bad side effects did you have?

C

• Posted

The only side effect I had was being a little dizzy when I first got up. It went away.
    • Posted

Yonia - you said "It sure did make me feel like myself again for those 3 days, but not worth the side effects." but it only made you dizzy - were you worried about long term side effects? and is that why you went off it?
    • Posted

Well, Tonia, I don't know about withdrawals, as my mother has such severe diabetic ketoacidosis due to this medication, that she nearly died. Withdrawals were pretty much a moot issue in comparison to the side effects from staying on it.
    • Posted

I didn't think elderly people were supposed to be on these kinds of medications. What mg was she on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.