Sigmoidoscopy

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hello,

I'm new to the forum. As I stated I'm due for a sigmoidoscopy next week , and I'm scared of the procedure. I'm hoping someone in good honesty can give me some truthful experience of this procedure.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I can't see how Sigmoidoscopy is much different from Colonoscopy, which is routine exam for people over 50 or 55. The hardest part is preparation for the exam , which involves drinking medication that will "clense" intestans and prep you for the exam. You will spend most of the morning in the bathroom biggrin.  The exam is relativelly easy and local anestesia is used in rectum area.
    • Posted

I concur with Nick's message. I had a colonoscopy recently. That is an examination of the whole of the colon. Although full anisthetic or gas and air were offered I accepted neither. I had no pain and could not say it was even uncomfortable. I was astonished how clean and pink my colon was.

However, my wife had a colonoscopy about two years ago. It followed a serious gut infection and she was still tender. She told me that the procedure was painful. She used gas and air.

With my best wishes for an easy procedure.

• Posted

Hello,

Thanks for your response . It's very overwhelming right now . Part of me wants to cancel the app . I'm 38 years old Ive been going through these symptoms , for about a year . Symptoms can vary from a very unpleasant discomfort , pain, burning . This happens after defecation . With in the 10min I start to feel these symptoms . It's very frustrating ! Sorry for the detailed response . But it's good to share if people are going through the same experiences . Thanks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.