can having a Benign Parotid Tumors cause me to constantly get a throat and nasal infection?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have just been dignosed with a benign cytic tumor of the parotid gland which was picked up on a CT scan, its been there for about 6 years now but every time i asked my doctor about it they said that it was nothing i should worry about and now i am kinda freaking out, like i am gonna die or something. Now i was wonder if anyone can tell me if this will cause constant ear nose and throat infections? My body seems to be having difficulty fighting this flu off and for 5months now i get better but then 2 weeks later it comes back. I use to be a smoker so I have put this blame on myslf figuring that its my own fault its been over a year since i quite. I am yet to see a EMT as I just got the results, I am hoping that its just that as I have a 4month old and would really feaking out alot.

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Try not to worry Michelle ( easier said than done ) Have you had a biopsy on the tumor?

My tumor was found and within a month I had an operation and had my whole parotid gland removed. Mine was cancer so that is why it was so quickly done.

I'm sure when you go to ENT they will explain everything but if your not sure about anything they say please ask them. Don't leave unless you are happy that you understand they will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Also write down anything you want to ask them before your appointment x

• Posted

Try not to worry Michelle ( easier said than done ) Have you had a biopsy on the tumor?

My tumor was found and within a month I had an operation and had my whole parotid gland removed. Mine was cancer so that is why it was so quickly done.

I'm sure when you go to ENT they will explain everything but if your not sure about anything they say please ask them. Don't leave unless you are happy that you understand they will be happy to answer any of your questions.

Also write down anything you want to ask them before your appointment x

0 Reply

• Posted

No they havent done a biopsy it only a sonogram of it.

I am trying not to stress to much but beiing so sick with this constant throat and nasal infection litterally makes me feel like I am falling apart. 

I am hoping that they will give me an appointment soon with EMT. 

Thank-you

Did you have any side effects from the removal?

• Posted

Can't feel side of my face anymore and mouth very dry also food doesn't taste like it used to with radiotherapy.

Please take care and I would love to hear how you got on c

• Posted

Hi Wessy, I wondered if you could help me as on Saturday I received a letter from the hospital saying they had found a 'mass' within the Parotid gland.

This is just worrying the hell out of me. I originally went in for a scan to see if I had any indications of a bleed but it was just fine.

What I found rather off hand was the comment 'incidental' we found a cystic mass within the parotid gland. Nothing from the doctor as they haven received their copy of the letter yet.

?What was your experience of this awful diagnosis?.ter from the hospital saying they had found a 'mass' within the Parotid gland.

This is just worrying the hell out of me. I originally went in for a scan to see if I had any indications of a bleed but it was just fine.

What I found rather off hand was the comment 'incidently' we found a cycstic mass within the parotid gland. Nothing from the doctor as they haven recieved their copy of the letter yet.

What was your experience of this awful diagnosis?.

• Posted

Hi, just wondering how you got on?  I have just seen this after my partner received a letter from his gp today (dated 22nd June after MRI 3 weeks ago!) saying he has made an urgent referral to ENT as he has a (probably) benign parotid growth.  When he phoned for the appointment they couldn't say when it would be.  I am researching it, and a little worried, but haven't said anything to my partner yet.  Have you had yours removed? 

Hope all is well x

• Posted

Hi, 

I hope you have now had some more news. I thought my experience might be helpful. I had a benign tumour removed from the deep lobe in May 2016. It had been found the over a year before but they grow very slowly so if they are not cancerous they are not urgent. It was quite a complicated operation but it just meant it takes time as they have to be very careful with the facial nerves. 10 weeks on and I feel absolutely fine and just have a little weakness in the right side of my lower lip area, which I am having physio for. I can't whistle yet but that is virtually the only thing, along with numbness of the area that hasn't returned and I can live with that. I would gladly answer any questions regarding biopsy, the operation, strategies after the op etc. Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.