Finally Seeing a Surgeon

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey everyone!

I'm writing as I have just recently found out that I will be meeting with a surgeon in 2 weeks for my thoracic kyphosis. I'm really excited to finally be at this step, as weird as it sounds, as it has been something that I have wanted for about 10 years now. I'm so sick of doctors down playing my chronic pain and not listening to what I have to say. I haven't always been able to stick up for myself, but I finally have, and it worked! 

I really hope that I can find the support I need for this on here because it's hard to explain things to people who don't experience it themselves. If you guys could give me any advice/tips/pointers/or words of encouragement that would be very much appreciated!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hiya Shelby - and congratulations!

Seeing a surgeon is definitely the first step to feeling better!

My top tip would be make a list of questions! It is so easy to forget things whilst you're in the consult, and then walking out and remembering the forgotten question is so annoying! It sounds bizarre, but doctors really are used to it!

Don't get worried or worked up about seeing them until you see them, surgeons really do know what they're talking about and will have your best interests in mind - saying that, every step in your treatment is 100% your choice, and nobody will do anything until you are happy ad have given them permission to do so - you are completely in control!

All my love and well wishes - make sure you tell us how it goes!

Izzie xx

• Posted

Bravo!  I finally put my foot down with my doctor after suffering an unbearable weekend of pain so I too will be seeing an Orthopedic Surgeon in the near(er) future.  It's the most excited I've ever been to see a Dr. Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.