Information on opiates - many choices

Posted , 5 users are following.

This video explains many opiate options for treating RLS.  I did not know there were so many options.  I live in Florida, where opiate deaths are a crisis situation, and nationwide there is a movement to unite doctors to cut down on prescriptions for opiates.  Since codeine works for me - and I use it in moderation - I hope that there will be understanding for RLS patients.  I also learned from this video that RLS is classified as a pain disorder, even though many do not experience pain.

Has anyone tried any of the opiate treatements?  I'd be interested to know.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I have suffered with RLS since 1996. Tried all sorts from acupuncture, herbal remedies, tonic water and medications from my doctor. I have found the only thing to work is a version of codeine (dihydrocodeine) I only take 2 tablets a day usually 1 about 6pm when symptoms are at their worst and 1 before bed.  I try to avoid taking  anymore than 2 a day. If I get RLS in the daytime I go for a walk or try to do something to take my mind of it. Codein is the only thing that has worked for me. Have been taking for about 5 years now.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info.  You can find the video by adding this extension to you tube - for some reason we are not allowed to post links

/watch?v=iCNI_UCj7SI

• Posted

I take methadone, it is the only thing that has helped me. I have had RLS since I was a young child and I'll be 50 in October! I can remember people telling me it was growing pains but looking back...it was definitely RLS! The past ten years it has been very severe, in my arms and legs 24/7 until I started methadone.
  • Posted

Where do you view the video. There doesn't seem to be a link.
    • Posted

Add this extension to you tube

/watch?v=iCNI_UCj7SI

• Posted

Google...RLS, Dr. Earley and methadone, John Hopkins hospital
  • Posted

I have developed pain with my rls over the last several years.  At times, mild at times, very severe.  I use Robaxin (muscle relaxant), Requip (as low a dosage as possible) and Norco which is an opiate.  Without the Norco I would be in a really bad way.  I too try and limit the intake to 1 or 2  pills.  I even break them in half if the pain is just beginning and I'm trying to catch it before it worsens.  I don't know what I would do if I was unable to use my Norco.  Tylenol/Codein used to work but doesn't seem to any more with taking a large dose which I prefer not to do.  Painting everyone with pain conditions as slackers not needing  pain meds unless it's cancer is short sighted and just wrong.  A friend sufferes from neuropathy and I have my rls pain and we agree, without the meds to control the pain a miserable condition would be unbearable.
    • Posted

I totally agree! My family, mainly my sister, made me feel like Iwas an awful person for taking methadone for my RLS. She referred to me as a drug addict. As did so many uneducated peoplethat knew nothing about how debilitating RKS can be. It's a shame more doctor's aren't educated about RLS!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.