Spondylilisthesis

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi all...been diagnosed with spondylitic spondylolisthesis and in nothing but pain in my back and right leg.....numbeness. had this since december 2015 and dont think i can tolerate tje pain any longer as cant seem to relieve it with meds , gabapentin , paracetamol and even the odd dose of oramorph also ive been een admitted to hospital and been cathaterised due to no feeling from waiste down ...been to see neurosurgen and talking about having nerve root block injection to see if it works although not gaurenteed. Also mentioned surgery and gave me advice sheets about it....im 37 and work in maintenance decorating a hotel and am confused as to what i should do so any advice will be appreciated all i would like is to be pain free

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Sounds definitely like you have nerve damage probably from a bulging disc at a lower disc level.

I'm very surprised that you haven't been operated on as an emergency if you have been cathaterised. This sounds like CQ. I had emergency surgery for this in 2012. Discetomy and Laminectomy.

I'd make sure you get a MRI to see what is actually going on as Spondylothesis can have a few different symptoms.

If I were you I'd be trying to get a quick accurate diagnosis and operated on ASAP. I know this might sound frightening but I'm very surprised you've not been told the op is a necessity to get the pain sorted and your bladder.

• Posted

Hi thanks ..i had catheter removed last wednesday after about 16 days and today in hull i had another ct and xray and consultant said it doesnt seem to be moving and recomended trying nerve root block injection and then going back to see him later to see if it worked and then if not talking about surgery....im just not sure if i can just opt for surgery steaight away and get it sorted once and for all ...i was checked today and there was a lot i cudnt do for the consultant ...any help is welcome . He saying i may need a lumbar decompressio and stabilisation for spondylitic spondylolisthesis...i seem to be getting nowhere fast and totally frustrated
    • Posted

Hi. My symptoms are numb right leg all the way down , i walk with a limp , costant lower back ache, and leg gives way when it wants to ..hips feel like they being crushed inwards and hip bones sting ....numbness in top right leg. And a dull numbness in my groin area to which ive been told may have nothing to do with my back problems ...
    • Posted

What is being decribed, I think, is to take away the disc (decompression) and a fusion (stabilisation). If it needs doing get it done. These days the chances of success are upwards of 90% so you've nothing to lose really.

My guess is the nerve root block won't do anything. If the nerve is pinched the nerve is pinched. The only way to sort it is to operate. The quicker they do that the less damage that will be done, long term, to the nerve.

• Posted

Scott17436,

You are right to tell Paul that cause it sounds like he needs surgery immediately, or he's gonna have problems later. Good advice.

Cynthia ( cindy,)

• Posted

Having experienced it I wouldn't want anyone else to go through unnecessary pain and problems that can be fixed very quickly.
    • Posted

Hi,

Thanks for all ur advice but one more thing do i have the right or choice to say no to the injection and just opt for the surgery ??? Im happy to discuss the pro's and cons with the consultant and am aware of all things and what they will do ...

Can i say to him i have thought about it and discussed with my wife and ive decided to go for the op .....? Or can he say im not prepared to fo that until he tried all other routes ?

• Posted

Paul29754,

It's your body and you should be the one to tell them what you think should be done, but honestly I don't think the nerve root block would give you any relief as I had it done and I thought it made things worse.

You should honestly being tell them what you want done, remember they work for you.

Best of luck keep us updated on what's going on.

Cynthia (Cindy) us

• Posted

I agree with the above, however, given you are a part of the NHS you can't tell them that you want the op. They will make you jump through hoops to justify the final outcome which will be the op.

This is the drawback of the NHS over the private sector. If you took your MRI etc to a private surgeon they may go ahead with it but at your cost unless you have insurance?

• Posted

Hi there,

I really do feel for you and know only too well that frustrated feeling and the feeling of not getting anywhere.

Im 32 and have suffered for 8 years and sometimes there just is no quick fix.

My advice is firstly to remember everyone's bodies are different and sometimes what works for one doesn't always work for others. People's bodies react differently to things. I think who you are as a person can also have an effect on the treatment choices you make.

I would do as much research as possible. When you go back to see the consultant speak more in depth about things, write yourself a list of questions to take. If after that appointment you still feel very unsure then go to your GP and ask for a second opinion. I did and you are well within your right to do so!

Your bladder complication has concerned me and I ain't no doctor but I think they definitely need to follow that up but then bearing in mind you've had more tests done today so I hope you get some answers real soon.

I don't know if any of the above will be of any help but keep your chin up and try (as hard as it is) to stay positive. You will get sorted but sometimes it's just hard to see a clear path to recovery, but it will happen.

Keep in touch and take care

Abbey

• Posted

Scott17436,

Well I'm in the USA and we have disability benefits and go on Medicare which now you have to pick a insurance company, I look at this way we are paying them no matter what they work for us because it's are bodies and we should have the say in what we should be done to us or not, I had I aprn ( they are like nurses who can give you meds) I'm lucky if I can see my surgeon once a year or if I have to have something done in the surgery center, it is crazy how they can push u to another drug without taking you off the meds your on, I have been on methadone for almost 20 years the only thing beside oxycontin that works, well this one aprn must of had her hand or something with the medicine reps cause she pushed me to just go on the time release medicine I was in so much pain and withdrawals I wanted to end it finally I got so upset I was like listen you work for me, put me back on my methadone or I'll be in the hospital I lost weight and my mind for 2 months til finally one went to the dr and do not take me off my meds at any reason, I was so happy. But sometimes you have to tell them that they work for you and you know what's best for you.

Cynthia (Cindy)

• Posted

Things slightly different here Cynthia. Everyone is entitled to treatment on the NHS. However, it is the consultants, surgeons, doctors or GP's that'll tell you what is being done, not the other way around. Fortunately for me I have a fantastic GP and a superb surgeon. If the evidence is there and the surgeon is willing to operate then it's pretty straightforward. When the evidence is there and they don't want to operate that's when you run into problems. Every surgeon I have been to see will want you to have done extensive Physio, tens, acupuncture, every type of medication under the Pain Clinics control and even then some will still say no.

I went to a surgeon last year who says I had 'stiff back syndrome'! Sent me away and told me to get to Physio and get on with things. Just over a year later with the same symptoms and MRI results etc I've had my double fusion. The trick with the NHS is never to take no for an answer. Push for second third and fourth opinions if necessary and get to see the right surgeon for you and your condition. Luckily my surgeon had already operated on me, had all the new evidence and sent me for a Discogram and the rest is history.

If you want private cars here you pay for the insurance cover or pay for it yourself as you go. Even then the surgeons are in control.

It makes such a difference if you have great point of contact care and you trust your GP.

• Posted

Scott,

Wow, I just don't get why the would make u go through all stuff, it's amazing if we need a cat scan since now I can't get an MRI cause of the SCS they get authorized from insurance company and you get an appt.

I hope you well have pain free days, ahead of you, keep in touch

Cynthia ( Cindy)

• Posted

Wow Paul thats the same age i was when all my trouble started ask Dr about lyrica and cimbalta they helped,morphine doesnt seem to help alot until you stop taking it,not that great for nerve pain.Ask your GP about having a Dorsal collum stimulater fitted,if it works for you it will in time cut your pain down and its not a big opp much better than invasive surgery.Ive had many back opps and wish i had know about this first,its been in Australia since the 80s not many GPs seem to know about it.Hope that helps mate your too young to live with pain day in day out im now 56,i would say go for it.
  • Posted

Hi all....just a quick update....so after 3 admittance to my local hospital and one admittance to a neuro hospital ive had a head scan done to rule out anyother things.....all clear ...my official diagnosis is ; grade 1 spondylolisthesis at L5-S1 with compression of the L5 nerve roots in the nerve canals..my L5 vertabra is slightly triangled in shape . A ct scan shoes that i have bilateral pars defects with slip associated with this.....???????

Im now on mst (morphine tablets) slow release 30 mg morning and nite and inbetween oramorph solution every 2-3hours.....still in pain and willing to try anything....also waiting for appointment for nerve block injection in my back and been told to still self catherterise my bladder 3 times per day .....

• Posted

Sorry Paul, that's total BS. You should be in the operating theatre getting that nerve released.

The fact you are catheterising is worrying in itself. QC is permanent if not corrected, quickly. As I said, I had QC and was operated on within 24 hrs as it is so dangerous. You could be left with a bag for life.

Time to fight your corner big style and start demanding they do things, yesterday!

You'll suffer down the line if they don't. Sorry if I'm being blunt and sounding scary but you need to get it sorted pronto!

My Pain Clinic spoke about a implant at my last consult but won't do that now as I only got fused 8 weeks ago!

Keep us posted but don't take no for an answer.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.