Tramadol with mertazapine

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello.I have had back pain for years now and is unbearable I am taking dyhiydracodine but taking to many so Dr has given me tramadol to take as well.My concern is I'm on 45mg of mertazapine for mental health and I'm frightened to take tramadol because of serotonin overdose.Does anyone take these together and are you ok.x

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

If I understand this drug correctly, I see potential problems. Serotonin toxicity is usually thought of as occuring because of co-comittant use of SSRI drugs. Although mirtazapine is not an SSRI, it does elevate serotonin levels. It does this by increasing serotonin release, while also enhancing its transmission. To my admittedly layman's perspective, this means that if you combine this drug with a drug that inhibits re-uptake (SSRI), you could potentially get a serotonin overload. Combine that with the fact that the nerve cells are now processing serotonin more efficiently, and I see potential problems. But I would think that recovery from an overload would be quicker.

So, the bottome line? I could be wrong, but I would think that someone who is paying attention to side effects, and knows what to look for, would be able to head off an emerging crisis. Nip it in the bud, so to speak.

Discuss this with your provider, and make sure they understand that tramadol has SSRI effects. You would be amazed at how many don't. 

Regardless of any other drugs, I would keep tramadol use to a bare minimum, if at all. Just try to keep the dyhiydracodine use to a minumum, too. Don't be afraid of it. Never take more than you need, even if that means taking less than is prescribed (skip, or delay scheduled doses whenever possible), and you should be fine. 

• Posted

Yikes, Tramadol is the DEVIL whether you take another prescription with it or not. Trust me, TRUST US on this forum. TRAMADOL is equilivent to unknowingly taking heroin, feeling awful, then going through MAJOR withdrawal to come off of. Seek another physician!!
    • Posted

Agree with this completely. Please avoid tramadol. It's not even a very good pain killer. It did nothing for my pain; just gave me a high so I didn't care about it. I got hooked on it even though I never took more than 3 50g capsules in any one day. I didn't have a clue I was addicted until I tried to stop them. The WDs were just horrendous. I have also been on mirtazapine but not at the same time as tramadol. Tramadol WD was the cause of my depression and why I was put on mirtazapine. Thankfully I am now off that too. It was much easier to get off than tramadol, but still not easy as you can't do it too fast. Good luck. I would give the tramadol a miss as it can really mess you up.
  • Posted

Hello I have seen dozens of doctors over the years and because of the meds I'm on they all say there is nothing they can do.The pain is getting worse .what do you suggest. It's ok saying see another Dr but the thing is I already have.
  • Posted

I take tramadol for the serotonins..... Now I am so seriously hooked I am taking about 4000 mil daily....I really don't know how my body can handle it but..... Anyway I have tried several times to quite and I don't have enough control to taper down and if I cold turkied this I don't think it would be too safe, base on miss a or two with the tram....

My experience is that doctor don't know enough about tramadol to give good adice, combining pharmaceutical should only be done with doctor's okay. 

I just hate being a slave...I just don't have the money to go to a confines rehab center.....

Stuck.....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.