Bisoprolol and muscle loss

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi im on Bisoprolol 2.5mg a day I take it in a morning and have been taking it 2 half weeks and this week noticed I am losing muscle definition in my pecs. I go to the gym 3x a week and this is worrying me. I have found that I am tired and lethargic and have trouble getting up in a morning. I wake up tired, I also on 100mg of leather thyroxine for my slightly under active thyroid and am on 5mg of furosamide for my heart too. How long do these side effects last? Also getting the usual short of breath. I was given Bisoprolol for my irregular heart beat due to my enlarged heart and he fact I'm needing my aortic valve replacing and my hole in my heart repairing again. I had open heart surgery when I was 10. I'm 38 now and got what's termed a subarctic vsd. Help sad

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

With all these concerns then you really must go and voice them to your doctor as there are alternatives to Bisoprolol.  On this forum we have so many different heart ailments and also different drug reactions that there is no hard and fast rule, only experience.  That said, the main adverse overall reaction to Bisoprolol is that of extreme fatigue and weakness, so you could well be on the right track and need to try something else.  So again, the first port of call is your GP and don't be fobbed off but insist on attention.
    • Posted

Thank you for tjat I will I woke up today as if I'd not slept for 2 days I will go back to my gp and see what alternative there is to my tablets. What alternatives are people using and how are they finding them?
    • Posted

Internet research is very enlightening and you could be ahead of your doctor in this.  Some doctors don't like their patients being 'clever' but others welcome research being done for them!  In my own case, I just said I wasn't willing to take it any more and with my doctor's agreement, I just stopped taking Bisoprolol without any ill effects.  But it has to be with your doctor's supervision otherwise you might end up taking advice which isn't right for you.  However, before that I did make a note of info mostly gleaned from this forum, just in case I needed to make suggestions.  Others have replaced Bisoprolol with Propanol, Diltiazem and Digoxin.  I have no personal experience with these drugs, but just noted this from others.  At least you could use these as a kick-off discussion point with your doctor.
    • Posted

For what ailment were you taking Bisoprolol?  Did the problem get solved as you were able to stop taking it or did you just the take risk of stopping the medice and taking responsibility for the outcome?  Can any lbody recommed a doctor who likes to prescribe alternative medicines and who would encourage to cope without any medicine, just exercise and diet.
    • Posted

I had paroxysmal atrial fibrillation and flutter.  This was eventually alleviated by a pacemaker and AV node ablation but even after that, they still wanted me to continue with Bisoprolol.  At that point, feeling I had lost the battle after all the drugs, I just said I wanted to come off all of them, including Bisoprolol and just retain the ones for blood pressure and blood thinning.  He agreed to this and I had an immediate improvement in energy and no side effects - I have not taken it since.  I would stress however, that you do nothing without discussion with your doctor as what was okay for me, might not be the same for you.  However, I don't think it would be life threatening to ask your doctor to approve a try without it.
  • Posted

hi

do you really think bisoprolol is causing these issues???

i cant think it could do this in 2 weeks.

how long have you had af, and is it permanent (ie 24/7/365)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.