Low EGFR reading

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi there, what agreat place! Glad I found it! I recently went to the doctor after noticing my blood pressure readings were rather high. I am a 43 year old male 5'10" and 205 pounds. My blood pressure was around the 145 / 92 area. The doctor sent me to the lab to take some blood and urine samples. I followed up and he said my EGFR was 58 and my creatinine level was a bit high. He suggested we treat the underlying blood pressure and I am currently taking that while steadily losing weight. Blood pressure is already improving. At the time he seemed so nonchalant about my results that I was not concerned. But now having read this result on the internet I learned I may very have CKD and my life expectancy has potentially drasticallly been reduced. To add to my concern I since have learned about proteinuria and that a familiar symptom is foamy urine. I have had this for a while and really didnt notice it as being irregular until of course now. I have also heard ckd with proteinura gives even much lower life expectancy. My anxiety has climbed ten fold! The doctor did not mention the presence of proteinura or if I had diabetes but I imagine this is separate from the routine tests they begin with? Does anyone have some insight? I have recieved no word to make any lifestyle changes. I am going back in a few weeks to retest.

Thank you!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

There is a lot of research going into kidney disease and its causes. It seems that high blood pressure and diabetes are the main causes of CKD followed by recurrent bladded/kidney infections. If all of these things are kept under control so will kidney disease for most of us.

Now that you know you are at risk, you can treat your body like a good friend and feed it only the stuff that is good for it and not overdo the stuff that could do it harm - like too much alcohol, burgers sugary drinks and tobacco. Most of us eat and drink what is convenient rather than think about the nutrition value of food. It has recently been discovered that there are too many phosphates in prepared meals (E numbers) that can be damaging to kidneys, so eating/cooking from fresh makes a difference to those of us at risk. Treating yourself well could mean that your kidney function will not deteriorate. If it does - your kidneys could still outlive you and you will die of old age long before your kidneys go.

Believe me, I felt panic when I first had news of low eGFR. Gradually I came to accept that I will do what I can, the Doctors will do what they can, Diaysis and transplant is available and soon, perhaps, lab. grown organs too. In the meantime - research might come up with new treatments to reverse decline in kidney function.

Take a deep breath, there is hope. Wish you well.

• Posted

Thank you for taking the time to answer my post. I have taken immediate steps to improve my lifestyle. Dropped 5 pounds so far and blood pressure has gone down. However, I am having such a hard time not worrying. What scared me the most is when I read the chances are so high for heart failure. The shock has not worn off yet, thanks again.
    • Posted

Hi Sonia--Thank you so much for your very compassionate response here. This is my first post, and I'm so relieved to read what you're saying. Like Brian, I got really worried seeing that my GFR had dropped (it's about 48 right now and I am 64). My worries started because I thought I had a UTI, so I saw a urologist. I had a urinalysis (normal but for leukocytes +2) and a kidney/bladder ultrasound (again normal except a very small cyst on the left kidney). My worries started because I thought I had a UTI, so I saw a urologist. I have a good amount of weight to lose but I do get out to walk a few times a week. I'm inspired now to work out a self-care plan. Thank you so much!

• Posted

Good for you! Well done.

Treating your body well with your kidneys in mind means that you will be treating your heart well too.

Having a perspective helps anxiety problems. I only have to watch disabled ex-servicemen Warrior Games to get some sense of well-being or someone with a white stick to be thankful for the sight I have. Like evreryone else, I have to keep reminding myself how lucky I am to have what I have got.

• Posted

Hi,

I would not worry it is not an early death sentence, you are at cKD stage 3 most people stay at this stage with no pregression, I know a lady who has had one kidney removed and has CKD3 she is in her 80's.  You need to concentrate on your lifestyle, as you have said get your self down to a sensible weight and control your blood pressure.  Kidneys do not like high blood pressure, they also do not like anti inflamitories such as ibruprofen so avoid at all cost.  If it is your blood pressure that has cause the decline you should be able to halt the progression, it is unlikey you GFR will increase but you can keep it where it is if the BP is the cause.  I have Alports and was at stage 3 for years it suddenly declined still not the end of the world I am on peritoneal dyalisys which I do myself at home each night, I still exercsise, work full time, look after my children and run a business I will have a live doner transplant in September jobs a goodn.  I can assure you, you are not going to die anytome soon but I can understand why you thought that when you got told your GFR was 58 mine is 9 and I am still kicking and intend to being doing so for years to come.  So chin up keep loosing the weight go for walks its free build it up slowly and aim for 3-4 30 minute brisk walks each week you will get there.  Oh by the way I have protien leaking from my kidneys have had this since I was 13 I am now 38.  Take care and good luck

• Posted

Thanks Helen, thanks for your reply. I must admit I am more fearful of the heart disease than my kidney failing as all resources I read indicate that there is a 20 times more likely chance I will eventually die from heart disease and that my life expectancy is on average another 20 years approximately. Was hoping to stick around a little longer than that. My current ACR is 4.1. And I have fairly foamy urine sometimes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.