Looking for a name for my condition.

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello, I have come here after years of searching the internet to find a name for a condition that I have and after seeing three doctors and not getting an answer.

I am a 27 year old male living in South Carolina, originally from North Carolina. When I was 10 years old I experienced the first of the now many times a day episodes. Each time it is the same. Whenever I make an attempt to move my left leg the whole left side of my body tenses up leaving me unable to move my hand, arm, or leg. This usually lasts 8-10 seconds each time. During every episode I also experience a daze like state. I can understand what others are saying and reply intelligently, it's just everything around me mentally feels strange. Dissociation seems to describe this mental state well. Over the past 17 years there have been some extreme episodes where the right side of my body was affected.

I can tell when an episode will happen and can prevent many of them by waiting a little or tensing the muscles by myself before standing or starting a run. I have never noticed an episode happening while sleeping.

Other things about me which may be related:

- I have a stutter which usually occurs when nervous

- I have been diagnosed with Anxiety and Depression

- Frequent blank mind when talking, can't hold a conversation. Could be the extreme of my anxiety.

- My mother has been diagnosed with Hemiplegia and experiences seizures and migraines. I don't experience either of those and she doesn't experience the other things that I do other than Depression.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Some of that does sound seizure-related. This also sounds like possible ataxia or apraxia. Have you seen neurologists...had an MRI  or EEGs performed?

I've discounted your psychological/mood symptoms because they could be brought on by your struggles and frustration... However, if you have any lesions in the brain where mood is controlled, that's another possible answer.

HUGS to you!  I know you want answers and I sure hope you find them! 

• Posted

I have had an MRI and EEG with both results being negative.

Thank you. I really hope to find out what this is even if there is no cure or simple treatment.

• Posted

Have you seen a neurologist?
    • Posted

I did about a year and a half ago. For a week I wore an EEG device where I pressed a button everytime I felt an attack starting. It was frustrating to have the results come back normal. I did recently manage to find something called Paroxysmal Kinesigenic Dyskinesia. That describes exactly what I experience minus the daze that I go into.
    • Posted

The EEG device measures your heart rate, right? I've done that two times and the first time they said I had heart palpitations and the second time I didn't. They should live inside my chest.
    • Posted

An ecg monitors your heart an eeg moniters your brain

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.