Scared for my life.

Posted , 7 users are following.

So last night I was working out quite strenuously (HIIT for an hour) and felt a sharp stabbing pain on the right side of my chest and started to have trouble releasing air. I stopped immediately but chalked it up to just being too fatigued and went to sleep. When I woke up, my chest felt even tighter so I scoured the interwebs and came to the conclusion that my lung might have collapsed. It was manageable for the first few hours of today hut now I have to draw in a sharp inhale of breath to function. I thought it was just the Spontaneous variant but apparently that could progress to Tension and that seems to be fatal. I can't go to the ER until after 3 hours today though (stuck on a bus) I realize the panic and emotional stress are flaring up my symptoms even more but I can't help but freak out. Any thoughts? Can I still hold out till then? I'm 21 and has a clean bill of health.

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi,

If you are stuck on a bus it could be very uncomftable with bumps and vibrations so try and be as comfortable as possible with something against your back. Also if you cant get to emergancy the only thing i would suggest is some pain releif. I have had 4 Spontaneous collapses on my Left lung then went to surgery and now my Right side has collapsed twice both times just rest and pain medication management. Sometimes if it is only a small collasped (which can still be excuciating) they just suggest rest and pain medication like panadol 2 every four hours 8 a day and it will inflat hopefully in time. I do hope you are ok and best of luck it is only small. Try not to stress and breath gentally as best you can. 

• Posted

Thank you so much. I am just scared it's gonna develop to a full blown pneumothorax since it's been almost a day and I'll just continually lose air and drop dead. sad
    • Posted

I know what you mean i was the same, I am only 24 and have 5 in the past 2years. I just recovered from my most recent which collapsed 5.1cm. You should really get to emergancy so they can xray and ensure, the pain can be very very uncomfortable especially traveling so try some panadol, try not to stress but if you feel like the pain is worse or you feel more short of breath phone an ambulence. I know when i had mine i could not sleep/lay flat or on the side so if you did this could have just made it a little irritated. if you are still breathing ok then it should be ok for 3hours well i hope for you! please take it easy but know you are not alone it is a very scary thing the first time. Most of mine was staying comfortable, rest and panadol! 
  • Posted

I waited 2 days before I went to Hospital. Just stay calm and try not to do anything strenuous.
  • Posted

Oh Ren, I know that panic from not being able to breathe. I am far from an expert on these things, having only just had one myself, but I think you should be ok for 3 hours. Mine happened either during or right after a surgery on a Friday but we thought it was asthma. Didn't go to the ER til Monday. Try to stay calm and let us know how it goes once you get to the ER., Adair
    • Posted

Just left the ER and the doc diagnosed me with costochondritis... which was odd since the chest pain's a whole lot more tolerable and my difficulty breathing is far worse. I wheeze and feel like I'm drowning. Maybe that's an effect of the inflammation? I did have an x-ray but I'm still iffy on the diagnosis. Thanks for the words of relief guys.
    • Posted

What did they say would recover the issue? If your still concerned go see another family doctor tomorrow or try what they suggest. Sometimes collapses can be small and missed but still very painful and shocking to the system. I had one the same size on both and felt my right side was so much more short of breath and painful than the left. Only you know your body but try stay calm and not to much movements
  • Posted

As they said just stay calm, breath as softly and calmly as you can. Don't tire yourself. Best of luck and keep us updated!
  • Posted

You'll be fine as long as you don't push yourself. The first time it happened to me I didn't know what was happening and had a pneumothorax for 2 week while I was still playing soccer. Then my parents took me to the urgent care because after the season was over I got sick. You'll make it. And also try to control your emotions.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.