rhinitis and other illness it makes it sedrip its so soreem worse

Posted , 4 users are following.

i have a nose perforationin the septum part of the nose and with it i have rhinitis which is the worse thing ever had it since diagnosised in december. i wake upevery morning hoping its gone or i feel better but no i have a bad nasal drip that goes down the back of my throat up to my eyes and my nose it runs all the time my tongue seems to be coated in the drip and makes it sore it has made me go off certain food&drink.   i am taking a nasal spray and antihistamine but its no better its made worse by my depression&anxiety which is bad at the moment so i feel worse tha ever with these two things going on i feel so bad. any tips on how to cope i'm no longer under the hospital and ive only just seen the doctor usually i have to wait months for an appointment nothing i'm using is'nt helping i'm in despair if u can.anyone out there in the same boat please help  me

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I'm not sure what this nose preforation is, never heard of that one before, did your doctor mention something about it how it could be fixed? 

Is it costeroid nasal spray you taking? There are quite a few out there, you probably would need to experience with it and try different ones.

Have you tried saline sprays / rinse? 

Have you done an allergy test?

• Posted

nose perforation ( sorry spelt wrongly above) is holes in the septem in your nose i caused by accident wiping my nose wrongly i rubbed holes inside the nostrols and i now also have rhinitis and with the holes if i have a allergy its being made worse i am due a test when i dont know when. i have a nasel spray mometasone furoate given to me by the hospital as well as antihistamines i do have a rinse as well but it seems to me that ive noticed no change had it since december i hate the way it is affecting me i will try all different things with no luck thank u for replying pauline x
  • Posted

Hi Pauline you sound like your really struggling,I'm not sure what you mean by perforation but I use a spray called aqueous spray ,I too suffered badly with rhinitis but after my doctor put me on this if never looked back maybe you could give it a try ,good luck X
    • Posted

hi angela thanks for replying  a nose perforation is holes in the septum part of your nose inside the nostrols caused by me blowing my nose wrongly for yrs i was given by the hospital a nasal spray mometasone foroate, antihisamines&a nasal rinse but i still feel the same nothing has changed since december the hospital have done all they can, i see the doctor for medication. i want a allergy test as i think it may not just be the holes causing it i'd like to see if i have a allergy as well due to the depression&anxiety it just makes things ten times worse i hve bad days and very bad days. thanks 4 the suggestion on the spray i will see if anything else helps thanks pauline x
  • Posted

HI Pauline. 

Sounds like your problem is quite advanced. Perforated septum needs operation called Septoplasty. But it also depends upon the size of the hole. I am sure your doctor has assesed he risks of operation Vs benefits and hence, suggested you mometsaone sprays. If not then, you can ask your doctor about the possibility of repairing the hole.  If i were to break it down, you seem to have two probles, one is a structural problem, that is the hole in the septum, and the other, is rhinits-like symptoms.  

Now i cannot suggest the treatment for the hole, but I can explain why you have excess secretions, drips etc.. We all have a protective coat/layer inside our nose and throat, which secretes mucus, protects against germs etc.. It seems like that layer is damaged in your case. A lot of things can damage it, pollution, pollen, cold, dust etc.. Additionally, if your bodies defence isnot upto mark, then it cannot fight against these agents, and , it wont be able to repair the damage. Now, it doesnt mean that whole of your body defense is involved. The coat/layer that i mentioned is meant to defend against these damages as well. 

In your case, the layer is damaged, or has poor defense against the dangerous agents we face everyday, and is unable to repair itself. Hence, it goes haywire with secretions and swelling. 

Also, Our nose normally has some bacteria, everyone does. However, since your nasal defence is weak, chances are that these bacteria turn into harmful bugs. 

This is a cycle that prolonges till life. 

There are a few things that can help us fight this illness. Steroid spray (mometasone), Antihistamines are all meant to help you deal with the damages of layer/coat. but they donot necessarily fix the layer, because they are not meant to. Our body is meant to fix the layers and these medicines are supposed to help the body. Hence, why your symptoms will not go away with medicines, they will only help reduce the symptoms.

Now, i am sure you will have some questions after this, dun hesitate to ask, i will try my best to help.

Cheers  

• Posted

to simpletemple thank you ever so much for your detailed reply i am so grateful to you as your reply has answered a few things i shall re-read it again so i can take it all in. surgery hasnt been mentioned but it looks like having the hole repaired may help but the hospital just said they will review my case later in the year not sureif i can wait that long but anyway i will see how things go thank you once again may contact you again if that's ok. take care pauline x 
    • Posted

hi simpletemple i was was wondering if you could help with a problem i'm having the secretion/mucus is coating my tongue its driving me mad i now have a red sore tongue i need tissues to keep on wiping my mouth sore lips as well its constant i'm so fed up and cant face this much longer should i go back to the doctors or the hospital surely i shoulnt have to put up with this if you have any tips or suggestions i would be grateful for anyhelp if you know of any thanks pauline x
    • Posted

Hmm. 'Red sore tongue with coating' tells me one thing. Fungal infection called Candida. I think of it because it is common, it is an infection and it can be treated with Antifungal mouth wash / tablets easily. If you are still using the mometasone spray, then it is more likely to be Candida as steroids can flare up fungal infection. Donot worry because candida is one of the normal bacteria of our throat anyway, and in your situation, its just had a chance to grow more than it should. This is my opinion.

Now for the treatment you will have to go to your GP or doctor because there are a few other questions that need to be answered before anyone can confirm it. And they need to have a look as well, to recognise it. Only after that, doctors can prescribe the antibiotics/ antifungal. 

Again, what if its not candida.. If the coating is fresh everytime, liquidy and tends to drip back into throat or causes froth then it could be something else, another bug perhaps. That may need a swab, and check before the treatment.

Hence, i am afraid you will need to go to a doctor. There is a third possibility which involves the whole of your body. This is not to scare you. This is something that a doctor has to keep in his mind. So, the doctor may or maynot decide to go for further tests that can check for other conditions.

Either way, red tongue and coating with sore lips.. sounds most like an infection needing treatment. I am sure there is bad breath and difficulty swallowing as well, is there??

Please, just book an appointment with a GP, it doesnot have to be a senior GP, just the first appointment you can get hold of, to get started atleast. 

In the meantime, i can suggest salt+luke warm water gargle upto three times a day. The amount of salt, is that: which you can handle, So if you can tolerate only a tiny amount, then tiny it is. If i bit more, then a bit more. 

This acts as a soothing agent, reduces the swelling and clears some bacteria and mucus. But it is not the treatment in your case, i am afraid. I think you need to see the doctor. 

And please let me know about the outcome as well. 

Hope this helps

Cheers

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.