submandibular gland

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi everyone! I'm new here and I really wanted to know something. When I was about 2years old, I had a bad infection on my neck, I was really close to death but then it was removed. From what I understand, my mum has told me it was a gland, and I'm assuming it's the submandibular gland as the scar is in the same position as where the gland is. I'm 19 now (nearly 20), and since the beginning of the year, the right side of my face has begun to get bigger than the left. It hasn't been very visible, but now it is. Also, I do feel a lump right under my jaw. Inside my mouth, under my toungue, the bottom right side is more swollen, as well as my right tonsil.

My right cheek, and under my jaw are always quite numb and I don't feel it as great as my left. I always find it difficult to swallow my saliva normally, and I always feel like I have something stuck in my throat. I have no idea what the problem is. 

I visited the GP two days ago, and I was told to see my dentist as they deal better with the mouth/jaw.

My appointment is on Monday so I'm just waiting now, but I wanted to know if anyone has had a similar situation, or is in the same situation at the moment...

Please, if anyone has any comments or suggestions or anything else, please let me know!!! It'll be much appreciated. Thank-you.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I think your GP should have referred you to the Maxifacial department I also had lump under jaw and the doctor sent me for ultra sound it was a bit long winded because nothing showed. In the mean time I went to my dentist just to make sure it was nothing to do with my teeth.  I then had to have MRI and Soligram and still nothing showed other than imfllammation although when the consultant looked at the scan he could see a small stone but 3 weeks ago I had my submanbular gland removed which I am still struggling with a lot of pain swelling and very hard when I eat.  Does your face swelling subside when you eat and drink if it does I would think you have a stone and should be referred to maxifacial.  Hope this helps 
    • Posted

Hi Dustyday! Thankyou so much for your reply! Who referred you to get an MRI scan done, was it your dentist or GP?

My GP told me to get it checked out with the dentist first as they deal with the mouth and jaw. I'm worried they won't see/do much and then I'll have to go back to see my GP.

I haven't really paid attention much when I eat, but I do know that my mouth does get quite tired pretty fast when I eat in general.

• Posted

Hi PamelaDe6

When I first noticed the small lump which I thought was a gland I went to my GP and she referred me to have a ultra sound it was then on the ultra sound they could see it was imflammed so then was referred to Maxafacial.  Then had CT scan which showed the same then referred to top guy who could see a small stone the size of a grain of rice.  I was then advised to have the submanbular gland removed but it's 3 weeks today since I had it removed and still swelling when I eat or drink.

Your dentist xrays will not be clear enough to show a stone so you still will end up going to GP however saying that the dentist can also refer you to Maxifacial if he thinks it's a problem.

Yours does sound that it may be your jaw if it hurts when you eat I know my daughter in law and a problem with hers and it was because she was grinding her teeth.  Let me know how you get on?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.