Greater Trochanteric Pain Syndrome?? Help please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello everyone, I am a teacher and in the last 2 months I have been getting really agonising pain in both legs.

When I get up from a chair after sitting for a while I can hardly walk. I am a bit scared to be honest. I'm a newly qualified teacher  and I'm frantically busy focussing on getting to the end of term but this is getting worse. I have a Bakers cyst behind one knee and at first I thought it was that playing up but the pain is in a different place. 

I have no pain when I'm walking around its only when I sit down for a while and then mobilise that it is agony and takes me a few seconds to get going.

What on earth is wrong with me? Any ideas?

Thank you

2 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

There is good information about this condition in the following Patient pamphlet: https://patient.info/health/greater-trochanteric-pain-syndrome

I have it in both legs most of the time, with pain running down my thighs from the greater trochanter almost to my knees. Supposedly GTPS usually resolves on its own. If it doesn't, that can mean that it is something more serious. 

• Posted

Hi AnnieK

I saw from your post that  you have trochanter, have you been to a doctor and  received any med's or injections?  I need some help!!!

• Posted

I have it in both hips, but I must have a mild case, since it doesn't interfere with my walking or cause too much pain. Turned out that my main problem is a torn gluteus medius that is causing my hip pain and glute pain, and my terrible limp. I'm having surgery to correct it on Aug 15.

• Posted

Hi, I saw your post and just about the same thing happen's to me. I have pain on both side's by the thigh and hip but the right side is worse! I've rea thing's about this  and checked out the cause's , one was a leg shorter than the other, which my right leg is and falling on your side and hurting that area, and I have fell 2 time's on the right side. The pain when I am up is almost bearable but when I sit or laydown and then get up I have unbearabble pain and can barely put my feet on the floor, I feel like my leg just want's to collapse. I'm going to go to a new doctor this wk and hope I can get some help! I also have Neuropathy so maybe my pain is from that, I don't know. Have you been to a doctor to get it checked out? I sympathize with you, I go through this every day, with you  being a teacher you must find your day's rather hard. I have been taking aspirin to help ease the pain, it barely touche's it, but I don't know what else to take, Any suggestion's? Hope you get some help soon.

• Posted

Sorry to hear of your pain Sarannie.  I share your pain.

As of today your post is 3 months old.  Can you share any progress in treatment or pain reduction techniques?  

My pain is in my left quad and it only comes on in the evening, when I sit down.  This pain is extreme and it lasts the whole night.  An Xray revealed a dot on my femur.  The doc had no clue.  I've trained for Marathons the pain these past 6 days straight is similar to a very long run, only in one quad.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.