Sclerotherpy does it hurt?

Posted , 5 users are following.

I;ve finally bit the (expensive) bullet and booked to have some of my thread veins treated at a private clinic.  Chatting to someone they told me a horror story about their sister who had had this treatment and how painful it was and the complications she had afterwards.  Injecting the "stuff" was so painful she could not continue with them all.

Has anyone else had it and is it really painful?  My consultant didn't mention it would be unbearable.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I had a VNUS Closure which uses radio waves to strip the vein under local anaesthetic. In addition the surgeon had to use sclerotherapy to get rid of the wiggly veins, a medical term! I counted thirty two dots where he had done the sclerotherapy. I must admit I had virtually no pain during the procedure at all and the whole thing only took twenty minutes. I may just be thick skinned of course.
  • Posted

I had the injections. 15 done in each of three separate visits. You feel the needles, but it wasn't bad at all. After each session my husband and I went to lunch and then went shopping. I wore long pants so the elastic stockings wouldn't show. Also the 15 cotton balls under the stockings looked weird, so I was glad I wore long pants!

Not a big deal.

I WILL tell you, though, that three years later I have NEW spider veins that replaced the ones that were eliminated! My legs look the same as they did before except now I have added foot-long scars to each leg from my two Total Knee Replacements!

I had vein ablation prior to the slider vein treatments. They suggested doing the spider veins next, so I went along with it thinking my legs WOULD look better without all the ugly pure blotches from the veins.

Live and learn!😮

• Posted

So you MISSED the bumpy toad look!🐸

Honestly, looking back at these last few years, I find myself just laughing at all the weird procedures I have gone through with my legs!

"Let's inject you with SOAP".... "SURE! Go right ahead!"

"Let's cut foot-long I incisions in your leg, take your KNEE out, cutting your bone while we're at it, and glue you a new knee on"....

"Sure! Let's do THAT!"

"OK! How about we do the same on your OTHER Leg?".... "Awesome! Please, Sir...May I have another?"

Don't mind me! Sometimes the ridiculousness of it all just makes me LAUGH and LAUGH!😊🙌😄🙋😉

• Posted

My gosh, you do seem to have gone through it. Perhaps I have just been lucky.
    • Posted

I've had vein issues for quite awhile. Standing so much probably did it along with heredity (varicose vein problems on both sides of my family tree!🌲🌲)

The knee stuff began when the arthritis really set in around 2007. The TKRs helped A LOT, but recovery is long and very random and sporadic.

I'm doing well now, and MUCH BETTER that I was doing a year ago. The last few days have been rough because I have been working long days out in the yard putting in our garden, cleaning the garden shed, and mowing, trimming etc. I think I overdid it a bit! I am just glad to be ABLE to do all that and keep going! The last few years were me sitting down every 15 minutes or so due to severe pain in my knees. Glad THAT is over!

I hope all goes well for you! Let me know , OK?

• Posted

That is terrific news. It is so nice when things improve. I am very glad I had the ablation done, it does make a diference to life!
    • Posted

Well it doesnt sound too painful so thats good.  Yes I'm expecting more to crop up afterwards I seem to get one every few months thesedays my legs look like they have had a good kicking.  
    • Posted

I have been getting A LOT around my ankles. It looks like I have painted my ankle areas with purple paint!

I watch commercials about spider veins and wonder if ANYONE ever looks like the people on the commercials. Certainly not me!

Several years ago as I was donating blood, the Red Cross technician asked me if I had fallen down the stairs or something. She was staring at my legs. I said, "Oh! No, I have varicose veins." Her look said that she really didn't believe me!

• Posted

try to search for the treatment in which your vein is repaired and not destroyed or removed because the other veins will take the place and function of that removed/destroyed vein and you can get varicose vein al over again.And if you have genetically bad veins you probably will get a varicose vein again,because the problem wasn't fixed in the groin where is too much blood pumping down to the leg.Your vein is like hydraulic tube in the car or machine if you remove it,it can complicate things.Do a lot of research or wait for better solution  to come along.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.