How to help someone with MRSA who's extremely overweight?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My dad is currently 48, 190 kg, and suffering from MRSA. He was an alcoholic who began sobriety just a little over 9 years ago and quit smoking 6 months after that. He put on a lot of weight after quitting those and taking Lexapro. About 5 years ago he made an attempt to get into better shape and went to his doctor about his sleep apnea. His doctor recommended a tonsillectomy at age 43, and my dad caught MRSA in the hospital for the surgery. He was ran through the entire cycle of antibiotic for 9 months so his doctor recommended to give it a break, and this was 2.5 years ago. He's just been living with MRSA ever since.

At this point, does his weight or the MRSA pose more of a threat to his health? How dangerous is the position he is in (I already know it's a bad one)? If antibiotics didn't work for MRSA, what options does he have? Will losing weight make it easier for his MRSA to be cured?

Any help is graciously welcomed, I'm losing sleep over his condition and he's not taking the initiative to get well.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi, if antibiotics have failed you have nothing to lose by researching natural methods. I'm currently trying to get rid of a gut parasite called blastocystis hominis and the conventional treatment methods have horrendous side effects and research studies have shown them to frequently not work. I've started taking saccharyonces boulardii a probiotic yeast which seems to be helping me tolerate carbohydrates better. The point is, other non-antibiotic methods may well help and are worth a try. Hopefully, someone else will know what these are and reply saying so.
    • Posted

Thank you for the reply. Holistic methods are something I just recently started looking into. My dad has mentioned probiotics as his last infectious disease doctor recommended them to him. What is a good source that would help us know which probiotics would be most effective in treating MRSA?
    • Posted

Sorry, I don't know a good source, but I would start by doing a google scholar search. This way you'll get research papers listed.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.