Been on amitriptyline but worried about weight gain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I was put on amitriptyline, 25mg due to anxiety disorder and insomnia. Within 2 weeks, despite some side effects (drowsiness, tingling and light-headedness) I have gained weight, about 1pound. Most of the side effects have gone now, since the medicine has been absorbed by my body, but I am already 93kgs and during the past few months I was struggling to loose weight, since the level of my triglyceride is way beyond the normal.

Should tell my GP to stop it and instead try a different anti-depressant?  Is there an anti-depressant that can help me for insomnia but also will not make me gain weight?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I have been on amitriptoline for a few years,I was prescribed it for nerve pain, if I took over 20mg

my hands shake so I kept to 10mg.I took it about 6pm so it would help me sleep.

Over the years I have steadily put on weight wasn't sure if it was due to amitrip,but after stopping taking it for a week I have lost 2lb in weight,I feel better in the morning.

If I had know the weight gain was caused by this drug I would have asked my gp for something else.

I would talk to your gp. amitriptoline is very good and helped me sleep. But I wish I had know before,putting on weight really made me depressed

Hope you get sorted ..holly

• Posted

I spoke to my GP and he said that weight gain is not the most common effect of amitriptyline. I had drowsiness, tingling and numbness in legs and hands, feeling unsteady, shaking hands etc... these are the most common side effects of this drug. But they lasted for a few days and then disappeared.

Weight gain could be due to other reasons, f.e, due to changes in metabolism caused by anxiety. It could be due to change in eating habbits caused by the drug. So yes, indirectly amitriptyline can contribute to weight gain. So I what I will do is to pay more attention in what I eat (and when), and monitor my eating habbits constantly. I think, sticking on vegan diet for the moment, avoiding fried food and dairy products (that also increase triglycerides) is the best option, while on amitriptyline.

• Posted

I have been on amitriptyline 40mg for one month for insomnia....works great for sleep. Gained a little weight but I am watching what I eat and I have upped my exercise routine....

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.