knee messed up

Posted , 8 users are following.

I was Inna car accident April 7, 2016. I was taken to the hospital immediately by ambulance. Even though I complained about my knee they said it was fine. Went to orthopedic and found torn meniscus, torn mcl, and sprained lcl. Avoiding surgery for personal reasons, staying off it as much as possible. My knee is straight 24/7 and in excruciating pain. Can't take anything for pain due to resistance or allergy. Looking for a support group, ppl to talk to who can relate and have been through itm thanks,

Leighanna

0 likes, 67 replies

67 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Leighanna,

Alan here. I'm not sure I can accurately relate to your situation, at first glance it seems more painful and different from mine.

I am 5 weeks out from a knee replacement op. My problem was wear and tear over the years, not an accident.

This is a great group, everyone helps and supports each other. Stories/experiences are detailed, understanding and compassion is widespread and encouragement is positive positive positive. Also, input appears to be international supporting 24 hour around the clock communication, so if someone is awake with pain or anxiety during the night, there is usually someone there to listen.

WRT to your allergy hindering pain killers, the only thing I can think of right now is ice, ice and more ice.

How are you sleeping?

Please feel free to contact at anytime.

Take care,

Alan

• Posted

in the beginning I was getting 2-3 hours of sleep cause of concussion. As that is getting better it became my whiplash waking me up cause I would toss and turn in the night. Then it was my shoulder. Now trying to sleep with my knee straight isn't the easiest. I finally slept 5 hours last night. That's more than I have in 7 weeks
  • Posted

Torn meniscus, if slight , can sometimes heal with therapy. Any hi Mr else requires surgery or they will heal improperly and never be without pain. Acl and mcl are even more crippling withoul surgery. The option regarding surgery is yours, of course which then leads to the a lifetime of pain and diability. When you start favoring the Leg to avoid pain you will be creating the possibility of back problems and permanent damage to the good legbecause it will be having to do all the heavy work. I've been in rehad with people.that tried to avoid surgery and they wound up on walkers and in wheel chairs before deciding to do surgery. The decision of course is yours but then so are the consequences. I think you need a couple of medical opinions and then do what you feel is best for you but don't expect miracles based on flowing your personal decisions. Best of luck and Hope the miracle works for you if it comes down to that

• Posted

I have a concussion that's preventing me from having any procedures done. I know people who had surgery and now they regret it cause it made things worse. I also know someone who had knee issues and never hot surgery, things healed better on their own guess it depends were the tear is and how severe it is.
    • Posted

plus at my drs office there are 3 in the group. All three of them say the same thing and they each examine my knee without the other in the room. My insurance is a pain in the neck n the group I go to is the best that thebinsuracr company takes
    • Posted

You and your Dr's are the decision makers, ultimately. Personally, I would never have any surgery if there was an option. On the other side of The coin, if the odds were against healing without surgery, I wouldn't wait. I have never heard and Dr or therapist tell anyone an mcl or acl would heal properly on its own........and the pain can be life changing. I've been in therapy with several acl/mcl patients and they have all had recoveries that were successful but took hours of tough rehab. They all agreed it was surgery or he crippled and in unbelievable pain. Your concussion is another matter and that of course has to be your primary concern. With your insurance company dilemma, you seem to be backed into a corner. I'm assuming with that obstacle being faced, you are in the US, as am I. If you are in the States, tell me a little about your accident and who was at fault. Sometimes there are ways around some of this bureauracy, but you have to put your foot down. In this case, of course, your good foot.

One thing about your fellow sufferers on this forum, they have all been through the knee surgery mill and try the best the can to help you get answers and well. Personally, I've had radiation, 11 surgeries and 5 complete rehabs in less than 13 years. 6 of those since Jan 2013. I haven't had any of your problems except for a slight meniscus tear but have been in therapy over the years with people, including professional and college athletes , who have had vicious tears and damage to the knees. Through had work and in most cases, at least a few tears, have made amazing comebacks. Most were younger people but one guy was in his late '60's and tore his up in a golf cart accident on the 5th hole of his country club. We'll all try and heelp you ok her the humps

• Posted

unfortunately the accident was my fault with a mechanical failure that caused me to pass out within seconds. Head on and tboned. Im constantly on phone with insurance and drs. Decided not to fight anymore since its going on 7 weeks and i need to start moving forward mentally and physically. If i can go without surgery ill be happy.
    • Posted

Also its hard when family members have never broken a bone or tore ligaments, so they are helpless when it comes to trying to understand what I'm going through. They are just simply on a different planet. That's why I came here, need ppl who understand the physical and mental pain of an injury. 
    • Posted

I've always said that friends and family can be your biggest allies but in turn the can be the biggest pains in the a**. They always have solutions without knowing the problem and they have a litney of stories about miraculous healing that are neither real or possible. I heard stories of people playing golf in a month.....running 5 k's in 6 weeks....back in the gym lifting huge amounts of weight and so on. I have crate tumor that are my knee up and started huge bleeding problems. I went to a group of 8 orthopedic surgeons with over a total of 100 years of practice and none of them had ever seen to problem before or since so how was I going to expect anyone else to understand. You have to be your own best friend an drown out all the other stuff. You find you are in the minds of friends until the next thing comes along, then they move on. Biggest single problem is falling into depression without realizing it. If you find that happening, contact your primary care Dr. Surgeons just aren't equipped to give quick response in that area.
    • Posted

Should have read "rare tumor". Auto correct is often not your good friend
    • Posted

about the depression, I'm not getting depressed as much as I'm getting cabin fever. Its hard being your own best friend when u can't even do stuff u love caue of multiple injuries. Thts why I came here, to find people to talk to who understand what ot means to have am injury.
  • Posted

The torn pieces will not heal on their own.  The operations are done by keyhole. You say personal reasons.  Are you afraid of being knocked out or is there a medical reason.  Same goes for pain killers, there are so many on the market, there should be one that will suit you. Belonging to a support group is all very well (apart from being supportive), but you also need to heal. Right now, you cannot put weight on your leg, which in tun will make the muscles lose their strength and your leg will become progressivley weaker
    • Posted

depending on the tear, they can heal on its own. My personal reason is a medical reason. I have a concussion that's preventing me from getting any procedure. I have to get a clearance from a neurologist once I symptom free. I syltil have sysmptomd so I haven't made that appointment yet.
    • Posted

so either way my tears have to heal on their own. Cause once I am symptom free, most likely the tears would start healing on their own. I also tore my rotator cuff, that's healing nice on its own. My Dr isn't one to jump to surgery, and neither am I. If it can heal on its own, let it.
    • Posted

If it is your faith that stops you having surgery, then so be it.  A debate is not to be.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.