Coming off gabapentin

Posted , 10 users are following.

I have only been taking it for less than 3 weeks and only managed to get to 300mg a day but the side effects are awful. I have now found out what is causing my nerve pain in back and leg ( my L5S1 disc has collapsed trapping nerves) and GP says that I would need a very high dose of gabapentin to ease this nerve pain so I might as well come off it ( waiting to see neurosurgeon).  Today I dropped down to 200mg ( 100mg morning and then I was going to take other one before bed). I would normally have taken another one at 5pm.  This evening I have had a bad headache around my eyes. like shooting pains. I have now taken the second 100mg tablet to see if this stops the pains. 

My Gp said " oh you can just stop taking it after such a short time" but I said I have read it gives back withdrawal if stopped suddenly and he didn't disagree!

So could the headache be withdrawal?

After no advice from GP I was thinking of dropping to 200mg a day for a week then 100mg a day for a week then 100mg every other day until I stop - does this sound good?

1 like, 17 replies

17 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Nooo....Do not drop so quickly. Have do slowly. I was taking 200 mg a day for 2 wks, then dropped to 100 for another 2 wsks, now taking 50 mg and will contiue for another 2-3 wks and then taper again until off.
  • Posted

I'm no doctor Debotah, but coming off after just 3 weeks caused me severe stomach pain and headaches similar to a migraine..I just tolerated it for the 3 pr 4 days. These symptoms started Friday when I didn't take any and I felt fine Tuesday.  Let's see what others say, in the meantime, you know your body.  Your plan seems to be plausible...good luck to you! 
  • Posted

I take 800mg. 3 times a day. So a small dose

Like yours should not cause any withdrawal.

I could get off mine in a week. Does nothing for me

Anyway. I had 3 back surgeries and 42 radiations for spinal sarcoma.

• Posted

Very slow taper is best. I was on a high dose was taken down to quickly and one of the withdrawals was a head ache plus a lot of other things. Anxiety, nervousness, heart racing, etc...

So please even though a low dose do it slowly with what I took I should of been brought down 100 mgs at a time over a period of months

I came of it in 15,days 30 months ago still dealing with it.

Good Luck!

• Posted

HI, 

I have taken 1800 mg of gabapentin in the past, for a few years, I too have large disc bulge at L5/S1 and muslce spasm which causes lot of nerve pain.  I would have thought you can come of this dose relatively easily now, just drop down over next couple of weeks and wean out of system. I put up witht he side effects but have been left with seemingly permanent problems with cognition / memory despite am now off it over 1 year !! Also tried pregabalin at 300mg and found this no better....if you can stick it out for other treatment I would, these meds have a lot to answer for  in my opinion

• Posted

I have been off Gabby for 4 months still having a few stomach issues yet but much better than I was 3 months ago

This drug is not a good drug. Withdrawal was no fun!!

Good Luck!!

• Posted

HI Deborah, I'm really sorry to hear of your plight, you poor thing. I've been taking Gab for about 4 weeks and got up to 300mg twice a day. I've reduced it to 200mg twice a day but often forget the morning dose so end up only taking the evening dose. Nothing untoward has happened as yet and I plan to drop to 100mg by the end of this week. I'm going to continue for a week on that then alternate days of missing a dose. You could try this? I don't think we have been taking it long enough or at a high enough dose to induce withdrawal - but I might be wrong. In fact I feel much healthier since I started to reduce it. I still have pain though but without the horrible side effects. Not sure if this will help. Read up as much as possible on-line just to get plenty of information to help you decide.
    • Posted

As I said to my GP - before taking the gabapentin I was in pain but clear headed and not feeling ill.  Now I am still in same pain but feeling very u nwell on top!!  He said the dose I would probably need to help with the pain, I would not be able to stand the side effects.

I am not so bad today so will stick at my 100mg twice a day for a week and then reduce.  At 100mg a day when i started I had no side effects whatsoever it was only when I increased.

I think I will reserve this drug to use if all other treatments fail to help me!

• Posted

Could do with a bit of advice here.  I have not been taking the 100mg a day for past 5 days and yesterday didn't take one but by bedtime I felt wide awake and wired. Eventually took one after a few hours. Have no idea if I then slept because I took one or just because I felt it would help!!

So really want to reduce to 50mg a day for a few days but my Gp says the 100mg is lowest capsule dose and its fine for me to just stop!  He said it was fine to just stop 300mg so no help from there.

Has anyone opened a capsule and removed half the powder and then put back together and taken it. I did this sucessfully today although haven't taken any yet but just wondered if anyone else has done this when they could not get a 50mg dose prescribed??

• Posted

Should say now been taking 100mg for 5 days!
    • Posted

Hi, was taking 100 mg 2x day for about 3 wks.. Did not feel good, called Dr was told stop. I reduced to 100 mg for about 1 wk and now taking 1/2 cap. So, in answer to your question...YES. I open the capsule, remove 1/2 of contents and take. This is not a med  you go cold turkey. I've been taking the 50 mg for about 2 wks and will taper to 1/4 and finally go off. Have to do slowly. Good luck and hope this was helpful.
    • Posted

Really helpful thank you.  Will reduce to 50mg for a week then do as you and reduce again for another week.  It's a bit fiddly to do but worth it!
    • Posted

Has anyone experienced slow heart rate while coming off this med?
    • Posted

hi Deborah...ust went from 100 mg to 50 mg once a day....I know they make a liquid gabapentin but my doctor told me to open capsule throw out half powder and put capsaule back together it was fine.....only problem is that you dont know if your taking 40 mg or 50mg...I guess we just have to try our best......taking 50mg once a day now for 2 days.....right now not feeling super great......this happened when I went to 100 every other day....going to give it two more days.....dr may have to give me liquid and only drop it 20 mg.......need to come off this crap

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.